Lets Talk Bluetooth Accesoires!

WoD posted on May 27 2009 at 02:09 PM said:
Using a phone as a bluetooth modem involves a very standard networking profile. If the Pandora doesn't support it, then I would be very surprised.
It has the bluez (linux) bt stack (AFAIK) -- this post is a proof of that working :) (posting via Nokia 6630 over bluetooth on linux)

WoD posted on May 27 2009 at 02:09 PM said:
If you can connect a Windows/Linux machine to the internet via the Bluetooth PAN service on your phone, then you should be fine doing the same on the Pandora.
The Nokia software is most likely just for organised file transfers and other nonsense that doesn't relate to bluetooth networking.

You have a phone that implements Bluetooth PAN? ... I havent used never models but i thought they all offered the simple Bluetooth DUN service.

And as a btw note, you dont need nokia sw to do bluetooth DUN on windows either, it's just a lot simpler with the nokia tools. (for using the USB cable, only the modem driver is needed)

Last edited by a moderator:
You have a phone that implements Bluetooth PAN? ... I havent used never models but i thought they all offered the simple Bluetooth DUN service.

Some newer types of WinCE smartphones use PAN only, e.g. HTC TyTN. That created some problems for Nokia tablet users because it came with only DUN out of the box. That was sorted out eventually, first with add-ons provided by other users.

Tor posted on May 28 2009 at 10:55 AM said:
Some newer types of WinCE smartphones use PAN only, e.g. HTC TyTN. That created some problems for Nokia tablet users because it came with only DUN out of the box. That was sorted out eventually, first with add-ons provided by other users.
You couldn't be more bang on the money there. I was actually referring to my experience with connecting a review-sample Nokia N810 to an HTC TyTN II (which I've since ebayed, ugh, I love my iPhone). It worked pretty well with the PAN hack, I think.

Didn't realise DUN was more common! I had barely bothered with any tethering attempts until the TyTN.

Tethering the Pandora to the iPhone should be a cakewalk, too, as long as it's jailbroken. It'll be via wifi not bluetooth, though. That said, I had a hell of a headache getting Ubuntu 7.10 to tether via wifi... it didn't want to create a new ad-hoc network.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back