Let's talk about my avatar and signature

Blue Protoman

I think it's silly that we're all discussing a second Pandora by this point, when only 900 people have theirs (though it looks like that's about to change). It hasn't even gotten a proper release, much less a long life! If you want to discuss future, unannounced consoles, go talk about the Wii 2 instead; it's more plausible at this point. Everyone here is confusing noobs (myself included, for a little bit at least), and possibly scaring away customers who, judging by your conversations, probably think the Pandora 2 is coming soon. Now, I'm not a mod, so I can't force anyone to do or not do anything. As a member, I CAN request that we please throw that idea out of our heads for the next 6-7 years or so. We've got something already so great that's got plenty of talking points left in it; no need to haphazardly throw on some more.

[/rant]

Last edited by a moderator:
Are we?Some people ocassionally post stuff about pandora 2 or how to change the current pandora etc.I think its pointless.The pandora 1 is still new and not likely to be changed

Must admit I tend to avoid your posts. I find your animated signature too distracting. Funny the first time but after that it's a PITA. :( It's a shame as you appear to be a new kid on the block with a lot to say.

Please kiss my ass, then.

blue protoman, no offense, but you do come off as one of the many people that wont stick around here, the 150posts in 1st(how come (st) wont do the same thing as ?) month is usually a good sign that someone is just gonna swoop through here, find out the pandoras problems, and jump off the pandora-cliff, but thank you for not recommending too many changes the pandora should make, or how to emulate a nds using only one screen

I think it's silly that we're all discussing a second Pandora by this point.
On the one hand you are right, it might confuse new forum members a bit as it might suggest a successor on the short term. I'm sure you will get quite some use out of your Pandora before a successor becomes available.

On the other hand, it is always good to think ahead. I assume the big players (MS, Sony, Nintendo, etc..) start the design of a successor console right after the release of a new console as well. This community is kinda special as we all have front row seats and even influence in this process. I think discussion about it is fine as long as it is clear that we're talking about quite a few years from now (remember, from prototype to final product alone takes about two years).

Must admit I tend to avoid your posts. I find your animated signature too distracting. Funny the first time but after that it's a PITA. :( It's a shame as you appear to be a new kid on the block with a lot to say.
I'm not avoiding his posts because of it, but I've been quite happy the last few years with the lack of animated signatures and avatars here. I think the Segata Sanshiro commercials were awesome, but I would love it if Blue Protoman changed his signature to something static. I neither can nor want to force him though.

1. I am definitely sticking around. I've even placed an order for a Pandora! I've just got a lot to say.

2. The Pandora's the fine the way it is. The only problem I see with it is that NAND is a bit small, but I already asked about that a while back, and was given an explanation. I'll just have to get a bigger SD card, then. (And possibly the somewhat aged processor, but there's no chance in hell anyone's going back to that.)

3. This is the first place, ever, I have been to that has a problem with animated signatures.

3. This is the first place, ever, I have been to that has a problem with animated signatures.
No problem at all lad. Some older folk just find it distracting to read while animations are all over the place ;)

Luckily we have content blockers for this.

On the one hand you are right, it might confuse new forum members a bit as it might suggest a successor on the short term. I'm sure you will get quite some use out of your Pandora before a successor becomes available.

On the other hand, it is always good to think ahead. I assume the big players (MS, Sony, Nintendo, etc..) start the design of a successor console right after the release of a new console as well. This community is kinda special as we all have front row seats and even influence in this process. I think discussion about it is fine as long as it is clear that we're talking about quite a few years from now (remember, from prototype to final product alone takes about two years).

I'm not avoiding his posts because of it, but I've been quite happy the last few years with the lack of animated signatures and avatars here. I think the Segata Sanshiro commercials were awesome, but I would love it if Blue Protoman changed his signature to something static. I neither can nor want to force him though.

ditto^

Because my gf wants one too. I do believe however that a second generation pandora wont be necessary for quite some time.

I think the Pandora, more than any other device, puts the specs out there and when people look at them and read on any tech site about an ARM chip that is better noobs come here to report it. A lot of people don't realize that this was years in the making and putting out a new one will be years from now. Also, now there is huge buzz or the next ARM processors since they are mulit-core, a big step for ARM, so there is that also.

In the end though it is just fun to talk latest tech. Noobs might think it is possible to stop board production till the company in Texas gets in some OMAP4s to pop on there but for the rest of us that join in the threads it is just enjoyable to talk about the latest developments in ARM technology and what it could mean years down the road for the next Pandora.

If the admins don't start locking Pandora2 threads I'd just ignore them if it bugs you that much.

EDIT: As for animated signatures just adblock the one's you don't like, that is what I do. Right click on the offending image, to down to 'Adblock plus: Block Image', highlight the 'custom' option, and hit the 'Add filter' button. It is that easy, I don't see why animated signatures are a problem for some people. This forum allows them there for they are fine if you don't like them then adblock them. If an adblock plug-in is not made for your browser then stop using IE.

I agree, but we can't force him to do anything. I don't think it is the animation though because second.exodous's animated sig (smiley cuddling with Tux) does not bother me at all. Maybe it is the size? Or the jerkiness of the animation? Red text? In any case it is his right to choose his sig. No offense Blue Protoman, your sig is just not my cup of tea. I like your avatar though.

I agree, but we can't force him to do anything. I don't think it is the animation though because second.exodous's animated sig (smiley cuddling with Tux) does not bother me at all. Maybe it is the size? Or the jerkiness of the animation? Red text? In any case it is his right to choose his sig. No offense Blue Protoman, your sig is just not my cup of tea. I like your avatar though.
I don't really want to keep discussing that sig all the time, but I'll place one more comment on it. The problem for me is mainly the fact that the signature is about as big as your average post. The fact that it's red and has a large animation in it really puts it in your face. Again, just block it if you don't like it.

Please don't take this as an attack Blue Protoman. I value your opinion just like those of all others and the last thing I want to achieve is making you feel unwelcome. Sorry for the off-topicness.

RE Pandora 2: Just ignore them. I think most of the posts aren't even serious.

RE Signature: It's not really that bad. I thought that one user's signature of craig was a lot worse. If it bothers people, they should scroll up or right click up and to the left of the image.

Me, I'm not bothered my the gif - the comment about Saturn emulation annoys me a lot more ;p I know it's just a joke but it still bothers me. I'm not sure what actually bothers me more, the sheer audacity of it or the poor guy having any expectations for Saturn emulation to actually happen..

Back