Let's help Skeezix & b_o_b add games to Compo4all MAME

As noted, I'm trying not to flood; I've added what, 6 arcade games recently :) And you like some of them :) Also, as mcobit noted.. please stop harping; you said it, you said it a few more times,.. I get it, its on my list; but the more you bring it up, the less I want to do it :) As I tell my kids.. its not all about one person, and the loudest person doesn't always win out :) (edit: also, as you recall from previous times when I've asked you not to harp ... I do have little babies eating mup most of my time. Be patient :) I do appreciate your enthusiasm, but the other side of the coin is demanding; a fine line, sometimes :)

As to indie titles, I'll pretty much take any, since its always a top priority to support our rare and beautiful indie devs.

Narrow vision is a poor thing; we must try to spread the faith, spread the love ;)

I am thinking about adding c4a to my BattleJewels game .. but I wonder if anyone is still playing it or not.. anyone care about BJ?

jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
re: BattleJewels - if not, we sure will after you add it to c4a :)

BJ is a game with classes that drasticly change the .. outcomes, if not the gameplay; ie: playing the healer class tends to longer to beat each board, but near infinite survivability; the warrior and thief classes are geared at direct or poison damage so muc more effective.. different kinds of players. There is also the pure puzzle mode with no spells or abilities, just like bejewelled more or less.

I have been thinking of adding a C4A mode that is.. forces you to the warrior class, and no saving, and submit score when you lose; so play as many boards in one sitting as you can, and score at the end; maybe should put it on a harder difficulty (enemies play using the better AI, always, not based on their personality) so you tend to lose faster (if at all.)

Hmrf. BJ will always have a special place in my heart.. great game in a lot of ways, weaker in others.. but the weak sides coudl still be fixed up, just not enough time. (Too many ideas, not enough time, thats my problem :)

jeff

edit: I suppose there is a lot of random too.. which board layout did you get? what gear drops did you get? what rolls to hit did you get? could use the same random key for everyone, but that woudl make replay suck. I guess in all games, randomnimity (!) is a factor of life right? :)

Well, again, thank you.

I don't mean to harp and if I'm annoying I am sorry.

It's just that...I saw Street fighter II get added, then Duke Nuke Em...and I'm sitting there like...sheesh...only games appealing to high testosterone levels are being added....eeeks...

so I was sitting there feeling like the next addition would be Metal Slug or something else I didn't much want, and then, games I like would not GET added.

So I apologize for seeming annoying or harping.

BUT...the original purpose...unless I'm wrong...was for Retro MAME stuff, and that was what excited me about C4A...getting to compete against others...on all the games I love from my childhood....

Anyway...if nothing else, I'm finding out that my memories do not serve me as well as I thought in some cases, because I remmeber being a whole lot better at some of these games than I seem to be now, LOL!!

Seriously, you're doing a great job.  I just didn't want to feel like the original retroMAME stuff was getting ignored in favor of all beat 'em ups/shoot 'em ups...which are basically more appealing to men.  Not trying to be sexist here, but...I can't see a lot of female Duke Nuke Em players, you know?

Again...your project not mine...but it might be good to add a few from each genre, kind of in a rotation, as it were...since people's tastyes ARE different.

Like I said...I was seeing Street Fighter II and then Dunk Niuke Em...get added...and Open Tyrian...and I was starting to not feel da love, if you can catch my meaning.

So...sorry for being a bit annoying, and thanks for your wrok on this!

Would be awesome to see thousands of games on this sometime...and why not?  The more the merrier!

Of course, the UI would then have to be configured to break down

MAME

Indie

SNES

etc...so that the screen then would only show the titles relevant to that system or some sort of thing like that, I guess.

And since they all would have different file extensions...this is probably not too hard to accomplish...but, again, what do I know about coding??

You're lucky I didn't quote your answer before your edit…

You know, the one talking about "a giant middle finger emote"?

beating-head-against-the-wall.gif

I do try to mix genres a bit, but I've not worried too much.. let me check:

platform * 5

shmup * 5 (I admit, I'm a shmup guy :)

beatemup * 1

maze * 4

runngun * 3

fighting * 1

Indies are up to them, they come, I add them, since we're helping out our brother pandora developers, but so far they are:

strategy * 1 (microbes)

runngun * 4 (thats 3 dukes though, so really 1 game plus minislug)

shmup * 4 (thats 4 tyrians though, so really 1 game)

So mostly platform and maze and shmup in fact, a fairly worth spread.

I'm trying to keep a balance and cater to everyone :)

jeff

Sorry my work on the compo4all version of OpenTyrian upsets you Kumaki.. I only spent hours of my free time on it and I'm still working on balancing the game to be better for competition.

I saw Skeezix's compo4all project as a great community project and took advantage of it when he opened it to other games outside MAME.. These Indy games open up community competition to others that don't have MAME, Personally I don't have any (working) MAME ROMs and I'm not planning to obtain any either.

I updated my sig in honour of this "discussion".

For those many many people who do not get it - if someone says something nasty to you - for the love of God, just IGNORE them.
If you must reply, do it in a PM. We want to talk about games and the Pandora, and this public squabbling is really boring.  May be useful IRL too.  :(

In other news... SNES save state dumps is making more sense to me... I am having some tooling issues but might have something promising for Comp4All in a week hopefully... Depends how much the kid's ballet recital and practices eats up my time.

I fixed my game Rescue to keep scores and submit the high scores to compo4all.  So, please play it.  I want to see if anyone else can score more than zero!

Sorry my work on the compo4all version of OpenTyrian upsets you Kumaki.. I only spent hours of my free time on it and I'm still working on balancing the game to be better for competition.

I saw Skeezix's compo4all project as a great community project and took advantage of it when he opened it to other games outside MAME.. These Indy games open up community competition to others that don't have MAME, Personally I don't have any (working) MAME ROMs and I'm not planning to obtain any either.
No, it does not upset me.

You miss my point entirely.

What I saw...and have been seeing is...

EVERYTHING EXCEPT MORE MAME being added to C4A.  I mean, I had to beg like HELL to get Frogger...and that wasn't even my first choice...it was just the one I thought most likely I could get added, since others were also asking for it.

And MAME is what I like.  MAME is what excited me about C4A...and I WAS under the impression that it was SUPPOSED to be about MAME.  I mean, it's even called C4a MAME

So I am a little disappointed, seeing everything ELSE get added in, and not any...or hardly any MAME.

IT seems to me like MAME is being forgotten and passed over...in favor of other things.

I just want a little of the love coming my way, and more MAME, is that such a bad, evil, awful thing to want?

Everyone's tastes are different, I get that.  But if we're only gonna get a few titles at a time...then can't at least one out of FIVE please be a MAME game?  That is all I am saying.

Oh, and Skeezix...this was not realy aimed at you...this was just me answering what I feel to be an unfair charge...because I am NOT disappointed that Open Tyrian is available on C4A...even if it does not interest me.  The truth is...that I was...and still am somewhat...disappointed to see everything EXCEPT MAME...getting added - and I'm sorta hoping we can get like at least one in five to be a MAME thing.

Please… just keep quiet and wait.

They're working on the software to make it good and allow mame games and native pandora games to take full profit of skeezix hard work.

Your reactions just make you look like you're a spoiled brat that can't wait for christmas to open her gifts…

Kumaki: it is harder to add C4A support for a MAME game than for an open source ported game (since roms are, you know, read-only and intended for machines, not humans). It is also harder to add C4A to a game someone else wrote than to add it to your own game.

You seem to think that any effort spent on non-MAME games in C4A takes away some of the "dev time budget" that could otherwise be used to add your favorite MAME games. However, it does not work that way at all. For example, I have little interest in MAME games, because I never actually played those arcades when I was young so I don't have the nostalgia factor, and I also have no legal way to get those roms. So it's not the case that if I wouldn't spend time on Microbes and NubNub, that my time would automatically go to your favorite MAME games. It wouldn't.

Well, I dunno...I just see all sorts of games magically appear, and so...why NOT more MAME?

Besides...a bunch of MAME is what started it out...if those were able to be added, then why not others?

I just honestly do not understand why more MAME can't be added...along with some of the stuff that holds no real interest for me.

I mean, it isn't like he doesn't have the hi-score files.  And I supplied a few marquees...and could and would gladly find more if it would help.  I just want to see some of the stuff I like...to get added.  Is that SUCH a crime?

Back