Less Then A Week Until Preorders And No Finished Pandora

Status
Not open for further replies.
tmcnair said:
So. It's not making anything happen any slower either. Talk about passive-aggressive threats :rolleyes:

There's nothing passive about it. People are being unreasonable and I'm telling them to stop. I'm giving everybody a chance to curb their anxiety before I start curbing it for them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ed is busy making some videos with sound tonight (Pandora sound).

The default minimal GUI as said in the newsletter will just be gMenu (from the GP2X), you can run gMenu on your GP2X now and try it out.

We are having some cases CNC'ed but we don't know if they will be ready before the 30th, they will just look shiny in comparison to the old FDM photos.

I guess I should have taken some video with my digital camera when I had the FDM case assembled rather than those photos.

It's important to understand the extreme expense and time consumed making prototypes, things like LCD cables cost $800 each to quick prototype, this is why we have done this *only* when required - we learn what we need to know and move on to the next part.

It's a tricky balance, but we are trying to keep this thing down to a (pretty tiny) budget where most companies would have 100x as much - if we didn't do this the Pandora would easily be over $450 by now just for us to break even.

You're gonna censor 'unreasonable' posts? The problem I have which is genuinely making me hesitant to preorder after a very long wait and originally a very confirmed preorder, is that countless times there have been statements toward updates that either come 4 weeks late or not at all.

Lately, there was supposed to be a trickle of new info and video over the past month, the setback on preorder was as you all know based on showing it off beforehand - and nothing has actually appeared. This is not a case of worry to me regarding the genuinity of the device, more a case of I wish they'd either be more careful as to what they say in the first place, or stick to their word. Is there anything unreasonable about that, really?

Since it has taken so long to update anything I am getting a little annoyed towards the regular stringing along that seems to happen which could be easily avoided by simply not saying anything in the first place... so who's to say that I may put 200 down and still have to wait until next year to actually see anything for my money?
This may well be a big thing due to the small company making it, and I do not want to seem 'against' them, but still, I do think that if they'd only stick to their word I would not feel in two minds as to whether I should wait either for release, or if unavoidable, then the second batch to order one. There's still 5 days to preorder.. so still a chance we'll see/hear something. But.. I just hope something comes before 5 mins to preorder- it's hardly professional then is it?

I really want a Pandora, but Craig said we'd see it sorted before preorder. I hope that's the case, because I think I'll have to opt out if it doesn't happen, and it will drive me nuts to do so.

Is that fair??

People are understandably growing anxious and frustrated, personally it's becoming tedious checking the forums daily.

It would put my mind at ease to at least see a steady trickle of updates! I realise the Pandora team is very busy at the moment, but surely you could find someone in the community to steadily report on the projects progress?

Dang, Craig poses some really good points when considering the magnitude of this problem. I appreciate your honesty with everyone as I am sure we all do. I am trying to be patient because the sweetness of receiving a well designed product with as many bugs worked out before shipment is better to wait for to me than a rushed product. Thanks again for your info Craig.

*EDIT* I'll be standing right next to Sphinxter in line.

zaffercharles said:
Lately, there was supposed to be a trickle of new info and video over the past month,
Well, we had an HD video with Linux booting up, SNES Emulation, Megadrive Emulation, CPS2 Emulation. Then we had a video with Amiga Emulation. A video which showed the working USB Host and notaz playing Sonic with a joypad. I'll create a video tomorrow which shows Megadrive Emulation with sound. Maybe also one showing gmenu on the Pandora (though it doesn't make that much sense as I can't use the controls on the devboard yet and the icon and text sizes have not been optimized yet).

We also had HiRes pictures of the devboard.

Quite a few videos during the last month.
What did you expect? A video a day? That would mean that there's one app ported a day...

Last edited:
craigix said:
We are having some cases CNC'ed but we don't know if they will be ready before the 30th, they will just look shiny in comparison to the old FDM photos.

Shiny? Like, glossy shiny i.e. Wiz, DS Lite, PSP, etc.? This could be interesting... :D

zaffercharles said:
You're gonna censor 'unreasonable' posts? The problem I have which is genuinely making me hesitant to preorder after a very long wait and originally a very confirmed preorder, is that countless times there have been statements toward updates that either come 4 weeks late or not at all.
He never said censor. There are tons of threads EXACTLY like this. If he walks in one day, sees 5 on the first page I sure as hell hope he'd merge them all, and close the topic. This kind of crap gets in the way of productive discussion and just gets everyone anxious. Of course, I am to a degree, but everyone needs to remember that there was a zero guarantee on deadlines from the very beginning of this project.

zaffercharles said:
Since it has taken so long to update anything I am getting a little annoyed towards the regular stringing along that seems to happen which could be easily avoided by simply not saying anything in the first place...
I don't know about you, but I wouldn't be following this project now if they gave me the silent treatment. Shit happens, and shit happened. What are they supposed to do about it?

zaffercharles said:
But.. I just hope something comes before 5 mins to preorder- it's hardly professional then is it?
Look at the PS3 launch. Didn't say anything......................................DELAY. Even large companies make mistakes like this and don't end up having a ready-to-go product when they originally anticipated.

zaffercharles said:
I really want a Pandora, but Craig said we'd see it sorted before preorder. I hope that's the case, because I think I'll have to opt out if it doesn't happen, and it will drive me nuts to do so.
He said it, and I agree that he should make good on it, but way back in January the Pandora team gave us the disclaimer: No guarantees on dates. You can go ahead and not get yours. I'll get mine and another for a friend, thank you.

I'm not saying that you do not have a right to complain, just know that this same complaint has spawned in thirty other places on the forum. Keep this to one topic, I don't want to see a wall of threads all moaning about the same thing.

No, I am thinking some kind of official advertisement of a finished unit, a look at the GUI actually doing something, an actual PANDORA. So, I don't mean to be a pain in the ass but I just assumed that everything would come together before we paid. And it hasn't. so, that's all. I guess I'll wait, because I would prefer to see an actual unit running real tasks from bootup before I buy, and/or some pics and official advertisements worked out to kind of affirm the forementioned.. I hope you can apprecieate that without calling me a whiner.. that's a general point not aimed at ED in particular.

PS I posted originally just before IX did, so I will try to check out gMenu via YT, and for now, I'll go back to sleep.

craigix said:
Ed is busy making some videos with sound tonight (Pandora sound).

The default minimal GUI as said in the newsletter will just be gMenu (from the GP2X), you can run gMenu on your GP2X now and try it out.

I guess I should have taken some video with my digital camera when I had the FDM case assembled rather than those photos.

It's important to understand the extreme expense and time consumed making prototypes, things like LCD cables cost $800 each to quick prototype, this is why we have done this *only* when required - we learn what we need to know and move on to the next part.

It's a tricky balance, but we are trying to keep this thing down to a (pretty tiny) budget where most companies would have 100x as much - if we didn't do this the Pandora would easily be over $450 by now just for us to break even.
I'm sorry Craig, but this is statement of many problems meaning the original intent (i believe anyway) was no going to happen because it would cost too much. That intent was that full cases (of anykind) would go to developers for their mk0 so we'd see fully working (if not final) pandora's. If this was never in the plans then the intent was to never see a fully working Pandora until it ships (to customers or reviewers).

And I agree with zaffercharles, I have yet to see anything that will reassure a on time delivery. Afterall, at one point it was preorders 4 weeks before shipment, then middle of November (6 weeks+) and now by 'end of November' (9 weeks).

Also, Craigs statement sounds like we're only going to see a straight port of gmenu. What?

The Pandora is still exactly what I been looking for and if it does live up to the intentions, it will be a big. I'll see ya when I see a real working pandora.

Evil Dragon has got it bang on ,im quite new to the pandora site and i have found all these vids
new in the past 2 weeks and the vids show off just the right amount of detail to keep us all
happy ,yes we would all love to see more but hey these guys must be extremely busy and
you just cant demand or complain about something you dont have any control over.

I do agree about the wording of preorder dates,if the date is an (if all goes to plan) date
then we should all be happy with that ,what more can you ask for really ?
remember these guys are doing the public and them self's a favour at the end of the
day,the wording is all just about letting everyone know where they stand ,if you preorder
is there the possibility of delays ,that kind of thing helps folk make the best choice
for them selfs.

Take the Evil Dragon Intervew on youtube ,its new to me tho it might have been
on youtube for a while? but is that vid on this site ... no it isnt ,now if these guys
had the time then wouldnt they have put it on ? just relax everyone and think about
whether you are going to preorder for the sake of showing the manafactures of pandora
that it would be safe to process more units and strenthen the appeal of pandora ?
or are you happy to wait till 09 for the second batch ? i know that i beleve in the pandora
team and i dont even know them because i have always wished for such a device so
my money will be on the table to show my faith in the project.

Hey Evil Dragon .. i saw your intervew on youtube - great work you are all doing
and best wishes.

dsleaf67 said:
Also, Craigs statement sounds like we're only going to see a straight port of gmenu. What?
It could just mean that all the have working now is gMenu. He also said that it was the default minimal GUI. The full-sized GUI will probably be a full window manager, though probably something less heavy than GNOME or KDE.

If you want a finalized piece of hardware that's got some of the sofware available, or your a dev, preorder, otherwise wait for a second batch for the software to start firming up... that's my opinion on it, sorry if it's not what people want to hear but I'd rather you knew that, like with the GP2X in 2005, preorders probably aren't for the weak of heart, or the "I Wantz0r to emulate N64" kids...

TJSomething said:
dsleaf67 said:
It could just mean that all the have working now is gMenu. He also said that it was the default minimal GUI. The full-sized GUI will probably be a full window manager, though probably something less heavy than GNOME or KDE.

I am not TOO worried about GUI, once things start up, I am sure some linux fanboy will fix us a mastered GUI for us all, then it will improve steadily(don't take this as a fact though, this it just my thought)

Hooka said:
If you want a finalized piece of hardware that's got some of the sofware available, or your a dev, preorder, otherwise wait for a second batch for the software to start firming up... that's my opinion on it, sorry if it's not what people want to hear but I'd rather you knew that, like with the GP2X in 2005, preorders probably aren't for the weak of heart, or the "I Wantz0r to emulate N64" kids...
Reminds me of Script Kiddies :angry:
I want to do some form of contribution for it eventually, lately I just have not had time.

scrag_10 said:
it is like that old saying goes:
Guns for show
First batch for a pro.
Never heard that one before. :blink:

finally decided to wait untill february to get a new android phone (when my contract is up) rather get a pandora and i'll just get a pandora when there's enough software and reviews to justify the reasonably low price

TJSomething said:
dsleaf67 said:

A straight port is already running. Ryo and me are working on enhancing it for the Pandora (layout, functions, etc.)
All the functions of gmenu2x are working, so we basically have two months to enhance it more :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back