Less Then A Week Until Preorders And No Finished Pandora

Status
Not open for further replies.
CronoTriggerfan said:
Great to hear we'll be getting more than just straight-up gMenu. Not that it's a bad interface, but with the Pandora's power, there's no point in not making it prettier. :D
ditto on that one.
use some OpenGL effects while you are at at, make use of the hardware here :)

Last edited by a moderator:
EvilDragon said:
TJSomething said:
dsleaf67 said:
Also, Craigs statement sounds like we're only going to see a straight port of gmenu. What?
It could just mean that all the have working now is gMenu. He also said that it was the default minimal GUI. The full-sized GUI will probably be a full window manager, though probably something less heavy than GNOME or KDE.

A straight port is already running. Ryo and me are working on enhancing it for the Pandora (layout, functions, etc.)
All the functions of gmenu2x are working, so we basically have two months to enhance it more :)

Thanks Ed for the reply. I guess I have to clarify that's just how it sounded. In addition I was under the assumptions from the GUI vs Emulators poll way back that a better version of gmenu was already running then and as a result of the poll focus was to shift to impoving the GUI they had.

My question is why did we just have to beg for this info from EvilDragon? Couldn't the few simple lines he just typed be found on the openpandora website BEFORE we had to ask and beg for it? Just that little bit of information more often would stop a lot of these threads and this panic. The fact that 5 threads get made and angry panic ensues just for craig or ED to type one paragraph nugget of information is not needed. All of this could be circumvented if simple information like "right now a straight port of gMenu is working today. The final UI will be a tweaked version of this to exercise Pandora's power" would have sufficed in the aptly named Blog section the website.

These shreds on a more daily basis, just a simple line like that above is was I was expecting when the line "more information will be available prior to preorder" was uttered.

EvilDragon said:
zaffercharles said:
Lately, there was supposed to be a trickle of new info and video over the past month,
Well, we had an HD video with Linux booting up, SNES Emulation, Megadrive Emulation, CPS2 Emulation. Then we had a video with Amiga Emulation. A video which showed the working USB Host and notaz playing Sonic with a joypad. I'll create a video tomorrow which shows Megadrive Emulation with sound. Maybe also one showing gmenu on the Pandora (though it doesn't make that much sense as I can't use the controls on the devboard yet and the icon and text sizes have not been optimized yet).

We also had HiRes pictures of the devboard.

Quite a few videos during the last month.
What did you expect? A video a day? That would mean that there's one app ported a day...

I guess people expected more than 2 videos this past month from the OpenPandora crew (considering notaz's video as separate from your guys' media posted). Considering the relative lack of media during the majority of the course of Pandora development, and Craig's statements indicating that there'd be a slew of pictures & videos building up the pre-order, 2 videos doesn't seem like much (pre-order is less than 5 days away and there hasn't really been much of a build-up or a whole bunch of high-quality pictures or videos, except the 2 HD videos you mentioned). Considering how excited people are getting over bedroom, paper mock-ups of the Pandora, I think the OpenPandora so far have failed to deliver enough media of the Pandora in this "build-up" to pre-orders.

It's always so embarrassing to really only have these 2 videos (other low-quality/simple videos of just PCB/parts aren't special) to show to friends when I tell them that pre-orders are only a few days away. A couple of my skeptic friends keep asking me whether anybody actually has or even seen an actual Pandora unit whenever I tell them that pre-orders are only a few days away. Revisions have been made since the render that's on the website; there's no updated render or anything to detail the joystick situation (the new placement of the thumb-sticks, how'll they'll be incorporated design-wise into the case, etc.)? Still a lack of information when it should only take a minute or so to fill people in (especially when they expect people to pre-order the handheld in a few days).

I'd have to agree with Gerry. Of course, innocent until proven guilty, the crew's got a few more days to show us some stuff. But the onslaught of media that Craig hit on wasn't very prevalent, IMO. Not gonna stop me from preordering, but as we can see with the latest poll, more people are apprehensive than before.

I suggest if you are wanting to see working models and videos of such that you buy the pandora the day after it comes out.

This will absolutely insure there is one or two for me to pre-order. :p :D

Seriously I'm checking this place daily for my fix on what new news there is, but frankly I'm thinking that the developers at t-5 days to preorder have their hands full making sure the product is going to arrive as on time as possible.

Having had personal experience with developing and distributing hardware and software long ago I can tell you it's not a simple thing and timetables are somewhat elastic.

The very idea that there would be finished pandora's prior to a (Pre-order) is sort of amusing to me. The fact that I see dev kits strewn across tables wired to together and being hacked on is enough to make me confident I'll get an actual product.

Pre-order
Dont Pro-order. BUT
whatever you do don't preorder the last one. IT"S MINE, Bwa ha ha ha ha. :ph34r:

Belthos.

JerryG20 said:
<useless text snipped>
If your wanting a Microsoft style release party, I suggest you sit and wait for Halo 4.

Me, I will have one Pandora, raw and unfettered by unnecessary hype please.
B)

eridium said:
JerryG20 said:
<useless text snipped>
If your wanting a Microsoft style release party, I suggest you sit and wait for Halo 4.

B)

It's not "hype", it's just knowledge of what a product can do, or at best, what its interface/case is going to look like.

eridium said:
JerryG20 said:
<useless text snipped>

B)

Nope, not wanting a Microsoft style release party. I don't feel that I am out of place or expecting too much media out of the OpenPandora crew, thank you very much.

Not asking for an unnecessary hype either. We just want information, pictures, videos when we're 4 days away from pre-orders. You guys (extremely pro-Pandora people) act like we're asking for way too much and keep making comparisons to the mainstream (telling us that we're expecting information/media on the levels of Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo from OpenPandora). This isn't the case. What we're asking for isn't anything extraordinary :rolleyes:

I have to say I totally sympathize with the problems of doing small runs of electronics on a budget.

I work at a very small software company (Less than a dozen of us) and we've recently been essentially forced to create a new peripheral that our software needs. It's not nearly as complex as the Pandora, but it's got custom circuits, gears, wiring, moving parts, etc. And most of all a custom plastic case.

I gotta tell you it's not easy. And prototypes are not cheap or easy either. If you had come to me the week before we had to ship our device to our customers and demanded to see a prototype, I'd have only been able to show you a prototype in a 3d printed case, with cables running along the outside of the handle attached with gaffer tape. (Also, the cover didn't fit properly.)

I hope the Pandora team doesn't cut it that close to the wire, but I, for one, completely understand the lack of "finished" versions before the pre-order. While I'd obviously like more updates as opposed to less updates, I am not worried at all by the rate of progress, and I am especially not worried by the lack of finished hardware. From what little I know of making hardware, this is completely normal for an operation of this size.

I'm sure Sony has it's own prototyping workshop where skilled artisans use top of the line equipment to produce gorgeous prototypes. Small companies have to hire this out to plastics shops and the like, and that costs an absolute fortune.

CronoTriggerfan said:
but as we can see with the latest poll, more people are apprehensive than before.

Really? That's an interesting interpretation. What the poll seems to show is that a two-thirds majority of respondents are eager to put down their money at the first possible moment.

(Here and Here)

Obviously we should be worried that nothing really concrete and final has showed for pandora. However in my opinion we have to notice some things:

1) The Pandora development doesn't have a normal hardware development cycle. Normally final cases and prototypes are showed with other products like cellphones consoles, etc first since they serve as huge promotional and marketing asset, and they are cheap to make for those big companies, where with Pandora every dollar has to be considered and marketing probably is low on the list until money is made from the product.

2) There's a sense of trust with the developers, they don't need to prove anything since they're well known in the community, thus there's no huge need for showing the final product.

3) What the devs are showing is stuff that matters to the community more than what matters to the average consumer. Here we see naked motherboards plugged around showing stuff, where normally companies show cool shine devices with smiling girls, easy interfaces with lots of accesibility and nice accesories that please buyers. They have showed a lot, though not what normally is expected, since Pandora users are not average hardware users.

4) Every developed country where Pandora will ship has laws that protect consumers from any kind of hoax that could happen, even if you don't trust them you're still protected by your country's law.

5) In the end, it's your euros, pounds or dollars, the final decision is yours. But don't expect this project to be like a normal hardware development because it isn't.

I think everyone needs to take a chill pill or something. I'm sooooo looking forward to the pandora and I'd be happy to take a first batch, second batch, third batch, as long as i get one. Not to fussed if it's before or after christmas. It seems the pandora crew can't do right from wrong. Be greatful they've taken on this project and show some respect. I'm getting bored of all these moaning threads.. People do some bitching nowadays :( Great work guys btw :) Woohoo rollon release :D

i have one thing to say to all the people bitching about the lack of videos and pictures of a completed pandora, or gui or emulator.

don't preorder if you don't want to.

stop complaining.

I'm sure the development crew is doing the best they can. They're doing a better job than i could do, i'm going to buy one regardless of when it ships.

complaining isn't going to make them add stuff quicker.

preorder if you want, don't preorder if you feel there isn't enough info. there will be a second batch later.

I've been looking forward to the pandora for ages and still am.

The problem's the team must be facing right now are huge - the cost's and manufacturing time for plastic moulds alone are horrendous and there's no guarantee they get it right first time which adds more cost and lead time.

Personally, i've got my fingers crossed that the first run of the Pandora isn't an exact copy of the GP2X first edition fiasco cos i'd hate to see such a fine idea needing to be hacked on day one to make it useable.

However, seeing as the statement on the website says that the preorder date is fixed now ( and by implication the shipping date ) it's in the pandora's teams interest to 'BIG' the pre-order day up by consistently releasing new information / pictures / status report - An item a day on a blog takes five minutes.

Just my two penneth.

EvilDragon said:
TJSomething said:
dsleaf67 said:
Also, Craigs statement sounds like we're only going to see a straight port of gmenu. What?
It could just mean that all the have working now is gMenu. He also said that it was the default minimal GUI. The full-sized GUI will probably be a full window manager, though probably something less heavy than GNOME or KDE.

A straight port is already running. Ryo and me are working on enhancing it for the Pandora (layout, functions, etc.)
All the functions of gmenu2x are working, so we basically have two months to enhance it more :)

Ok so sorry to throw the bomb in here but I have to ask... will it incorporate multi-tasking? I'm pretty sure (correct me if I'm wrong) that the current gmenu2x doesn't

Not worried at all. I'll be plunking down my hard-earned (guffaw!) on the 30th whether I see the finished article then or not.

Pleng said:
EvilDragon said:
TJSomething said:
dsleaf67 said:

Ok so sorry to throw the bomb in here but I have to ask... will it incorporate multi-tasking? I'm pretty sure (correct me if I'm wrong) that the current gmenu2x doesn't

then the staight port probably won't, too.

about the "media flood" - I don't demand anything, it's totally their decission, when they start preordering and what they will show us till then. On the other side, from craigs argumentation on the last preordering delay, I would have awaited a video of a more or less final pandora booting up linux and playing any game or emu with build-in controls. Now it's pretty sure, this won't happen and I'm pretty disappointed. That doesn't mean I won't preorder, but I will think about it, as my trust in craigs writings has decreased.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back