LCD, OLED or 3D?

Dunno yet, they're still testing screens.

OLED would presumably be nice for power consumption reasons, but the longevity of the screens may be an issue. 3D is off the table I expect, as there are only a few of those screens about for specific devices, and they're often not particularly high resolution (plus we don't really have an application for such a screen short of emulating the virtual boy currently).  So I'd expect LCD with a conventional CCFL backlight at present - it may be old tech, but it's still capable of some pretty good-looking screens.

Almost certainly LCD. I was pushing for OLED, but it looks like it is almost impossible to get high-res OLED screens if you're not Samsung.

LCD with LED backlight probably.

For personal preference I like LCD for the reason Levi mentioned OLED was not a great option.

Since apple went in on Japan-display, its samsung for OLED, which we cant have. But most of that is pentile matrix anyway, so no loss.

The S5 display and the Galaxy Tab S is now king of the hill, before it was Amazon Kindle Fire HDX. (which was LTPS LCD)

Its either too high res or nocanhas.

I think the current testing panel is a LG LCD panel, which is up there with the modern ones.

I would be happy with a 720p IPS LCD. OLED has a shorter lifespan than LCD and 3D consumes to much power and is expensive.

How long are you planning to have the Pyra for screen to die?
The Pyra will be an upgradable device, lifespan could be an important consideration seeing how we could potentially have a SoC upgrades 5-10 years down the road. Although that said, replacing the screen usually isn't a big deal.. maybe in 5 years an OLED or better technology will be readily available.

I've seen Galaxy S2s with extremelly noticeable burn-in. Those screens were only 3 years old and were unusable. So I'm all for LCD now.

^Doom, Tetris, space invaders and Pacman?
Well I believe they are working on fitting more squares on the screen, so I am sure at least Tetris and probably Pacman will be fine since both use squares.  If they can make them small enough I am sure space invaders will be quick to follow.

I am sure they are working to get as many white squares on the screen as they can to allow for more games.

is almost impossible to get high-res OLED screens if you're not Samsung
Or Apple, buying from Samsung :)

3D is still gimmicky, IMO.
Agree, yet some games on 3DS look really great with 3d effect. I really like 2D games with 3D depth effect, works very nicely. 
Apple doesnt buy AMOLED from samsung, they get panels from Japan Display. Dont know what came of the rumors of them buying shares there.

Back