Oled Wiz, And Lcd Comparison Screenshots ...

DaveC

Internal Development
So the Wiz has this new fangled OLED screen. How does it compare to the traditional LCD screen? I took shots of MAME running some games on both the Wiz and the GP2X. I used the GP2X as that is the only thing I have MAME running on, I don't have emus on a PSP or DS to compare. The black level on the GP2X is normally decent for an LCD. Some may be a bit better like PSP etc but will still have that backlight haze somewhat.

The Wiz was set to "medium" brightness (so it would actually look a bit better than these pics). As you can see the superior black level adds much more to the old "arcade monitor" type look. Any fuzziness is due to the camera shake and image re-sizing. The OLED tends to "bloom" a bit with the camera lens, but in reality is just as sharp as the LCD.

oled_lcd.png

Hm, now I see why this is such a big issue for you, given that you play these old arcade games that are some bright lines on black backgrounds ;)

Good screenshots though.

Wow, that OLED display sure does look impressive.
Actually that would be a good image to explain OLED on the Wiz Wiki.

Nice photos, Dave! I also like playing the old arcade classis with the Wiz.
The OLED screen is really incredibly.
I also noticed the bloom effect mainly when looking at the boot screen. But as you wrote the OLED is sharp, it seem to be the picture in this case.

Regards,
Stephan

Ahh, OLED 'tis truly a thing of beauty.

And if a pixel isnt on, it's not using power (unlike LCDs and backlighting).

Very nice comparison Dave!

coldfis said:

So you mean black pixels are off, and thus games that are black-heavy like old arcade classics consume less power?
Oh that's coooool.

Last edited by a moderator:
I forgot all about the black pixels being off! That explains why my battery has been doing a lot better since I've been playing more MAME and NES games than when I play other games--they have a whole lot more black. I was wondering why things had been so nice lately.

coldfis said:

Alas overall they still use more power than an LCD on average. That might change in the future though.

Exophase said:
Hm, now I see why this is such a big issue for you, given that you play these old arcade games that are some bright lines on black backgrounds ;)

Good screenshots though.
Well those games show the feature best. Other games without allot of black still benefit from a better viewing angle and response time. Colors near black also show better. So those with subtle darker shades show up better. Quake for example looks allot better on the OLED than on the GP2X LCD.

Hi guys, I´m reading some issues with the Wiz screen in gp32spain forums.

A couple of guys are saying that they can see like a kind of "noise" in certain games, in some backgrounds or title screens.

They can see the noise when only a pure color is showing, like blue or green for example.

The noise is like this :

attachment.php?attachmentid=18646&stc=1&d=1246980580.jpg

dsc7280.jpg

¿Could be the dots of the tactil screen? I do not think so but...

Sorry for my poor english.

Thank you for the answers :)

Some of that is due to dithering. Over in the test mode you can take a look of some pure colors. The level of graininess is perfectly normal. Other kinds of displays (non-CRT displays, that is) have the same issue, but you aren't watching them as closely. That's the only reason why you weren't noticing it before.

E.g. my full hd tft also shows some graininess if it displays pure white... and if I take a closer look.

The pixels simply aren't perfectly equally illuminated, because each pixel behaves slightly different. You get that with any of the newer technologies... TN, PVA, MVA, OLED... whatever. CRTs don't have this problem, because each dot is just a tiny hole and the light for all of them comes from one single ray. So, there is no variation. It's easy to make the holes equally big (with a very high degree of precision) and there is only one light source.

Well, it's not much of an issue, since that little bit of variation isn't noticeable if you're playing a game or watching a video. In the future this kind of issue will disappear. The process will become more accurate and the pixel density will continue to increase. E.g. if the Wiz's display were 640x480, you wouldn't be able to see any graininess even if the amount of variation would be the same.

Back