LCD Cables and refurbished Pandoras

There is only one type of cable available
There's three, actually: the original that came with the first batch of Pandoras which had the silver tape to prevent RF leakage; the ones that were changed slightly so the tape was no longer required which started being included part way through the original run; and the current ones which were produced for the CC Pandoras.
There weren't bad batches and good batches, the cables originally had flaws which caused massive failures. Those flaws were fixed over two iterations.
I choose that wording with the rather "fresh" confusion in mind that came up recently with people speculating about needing specific cables for specific versions of the Pandora. I did not intend to get into details - but if I did I would have told sheer poppycock so thanks (to ED too, of course) for getting proactive before I could spread wrong information.

Any update on the refurbished pandoras?  I might be interested if the price is ok. 

Well, we need the new LCD Cables for that, and as there were Chinese New Year holidays until recently, nothing happened in China.

Any news here? My Pandora cable just died... I am reaaaaaallly in need of a new one :D But no pressure :D

So will these new cables be sturdier? I had my Pandora sent all the way to Germany to be fixed, and it only lasted a few months before the problems came back.

They should be, yes.

However, it sounds like yours was a bit flakey from the beginning, as it usually doesn't fail as well when it's okay and properly assembled.

Hmmmm... Do these cables break often? If I manage to get my grubby little hands on an OP soon should I think about buying some for reserve?

Hmmmm... Do these cables break often? If I manage to get my grubby little hands on an OP soon should I think about buying some for reserve?
Only one on my first batch Pandora broke so far, That cable was much more fragile that the later ones. My two other Pandori never developed an issue. My First Batch unit LCD cable was repaired over 3 1/2 years ago.  My Rebirth is over 3 years old and my 1Ghz unit Is over 2 years old and none so far has shown signs of LCD cable wearing out.

I almost think something done wrong at assembly or flaws in the case molding may cause sudden breakage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do these cables break often?
Define "often".In the beginning they had a very high failure rate, something like 40% or so. This is vastly improved, a properly installed cable only has about a 5% failure rate, I think I remember. So things fail, as things do, and it could stand to be lower, but it's not "a lot". Odds are you won't have to worry about it.

Well, I think I need to clarify something. I have three Pandoras and I also have 4 extra LCD cables.  I broke all of them myself because I constantly tinker with them - open them up and hack stuff.  My first GHz pandora is 3-year old now and still with the cable it first came with, and it travels with me everyday.  So, it depends greatly on you use it.  But it is always good to have some LCD cables reserved.  I also stock a bunch of cases and parts because I know once PYRA is out, these will be hard to come by.    

Wow. I can't even get one reasonably and some of you have multiple units. Pretty high praise for such a device.

Thanks for the clarification everyone.

Do these cables break often
I used mine _intensively_ for the last 2 years (that is, almost every day). And the purple screen of death appeared... then, a month later, it was permanent. One month of using it like that, it started working again, and I dare not close the lid... nor travel with it.

They should be, yes.

However, it sounds like yours was a bit flakey from the beginning, as it usually doesn't fail as well when it's okay and properly assembled.
Well mine did initially last for a few years without problems, but then I got the weird colored screen, sent it back to Germany for repairs, and then I only had it for a month or two before the problems came back, worse then before. Now it either shows messed up colors or the screen completely turns off based on how much it's opened.

This seemed to happen after I took it out with me someplace, when I got back home the screen would turn off if I positioned the screen much like you would a laptop with the screen vertical and the keyboard section horizontal, is positioning it like that bad for it or something? and then it got worse rapidly from there.

No,

I don't use my Pandora that much anymore. (see sale topic), so I really have no problems with my Pandora

Aargh. Second cable just died while camping. I'm now a Pandoraless, well unless I like purple. :) Looking forward to the new cables.

Hmm, did you put in the cable yourself?

The new ones shouldn't fail that fast unless they're not put in properly.

Back