LCD Cables and refurbished Pandoras

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Just some quick Pandora news from us.

We'll produce more LCD cables - probably with some improvements (like rounded edges), so we'll not run out of stock of them!

Additionally, we're currently testing and checking all the remaining PCBs and displays we got here (from upgrades, etc.)
These units will be put into brand new cases and keymats (and get new nubs if they're broken) and will be sold for a pretty good price when they're ready.

Not sure when that will all happen (probably end of February till mid March), but in case you're looking for a cheap refurbished Pandora, keep that in mind.

Of course, as most PCBs are from the upgrade, there will only be Rebirth and Classic PCBs (we don't have and pre-owned GHz PCBs).

We'll produce more LCD cables - probably with some improvements (like rounded edges), so we'll not run out of stock of them!
Oh good. I'm down to my last spare from the original batch. If this one lasts as long as the last one did, though, I'll have a Pyra in my hands with a few months to spare.

I really really like this dedication to not making a product defunct. Long live the pandora.

How about making some cables that fit the Archos 605 screens?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh Good!! :)

Please inform us when you have this (improved lcd cables) available...i want to send my Pandora to replace this cable.

I think I'll be needing one in the future, have to check the cable first though. Sometimes screen color changes a bit (gets blue-ish) when opening the unit.

This is great to hear.  I don't really have words to say what I want, so just know that I am very happy about this, and it shows the quality of support and dedication you have for the things you work on.  If only the rest of the world could follow your example.

Puh.... My Cable is dying I was earnestly concerned about what I would do if there was no chance of getting a replacement...

So this is really good news for me. I think i will buy a new case too, mine is really falling apart :D

Cool.  I'd wanted to add a few LCD cables to my two Aluminum cases order.  Those and a coffee cup.   :)

Ah, great news! How long will it take to manufacture the new LCD cables? I will add some together with my aluminum case order, if possible.

How reliable are ReBirth LCD cables? Would it be wise to get a spare when they're available?

How reliable are ReBirth LCD cables? Would it be wise to get a spare when they're available?
I do not think it makes sense to tie LCD cables to a certain Pandora model (I think it will rather create confusion). There is only one type of cable available, but as it is/was produces in batches, it all comes down if it was a good batch or a bad one.

The first one was bad, then came some good batches, and somewehere in the past was a bad one inbetween.

There is only one type of cable available
There's three, actually: the original that came with the first batch of Pandoras which had the silver tape to prevent RF leakage; the ones that were changed slightly so the tape was no longer required which started being included part way through the original run; and the current ones which were produced for the CC Pandoras.There weren't bad batches and good batches, the cables originally had flaws which caused massive failures. Those flaws were fixed over two iterations.

Not quite right - there quite a few different versions.

The first one was a very stiff one that failed almost all the time.

Some were wrapped in copper tape, but as we thought that lead to the failure, we didn't use the copper tape anymore. Didn't help.

Then we had them redesigned by a different company, a batch of 2000.

That was the best ever. I've never seen a single LCD cable of those that failed so far!

Those were the first ones with silver tape at the back.

Then the same company increased the price, but as they were proven to work, I was happy to pay that.

However, the quality of the next batch was much worse. About 30% of the cables suddenly failed. It looks like the tried to safe costs and used a cheaper way to produce them.

Therefore, we switched to our current company - the ones with the black material at the back.

Those are good (about 5% failure rate, though a lot of those were tears at the edge or improperly put in cables, not material weakness).

Not as good as the first silver ones, but if one of these cables is put in properly, it doesn't seem to break as well.

So when do you expect this Cables to turn up in the shop? Mine ist showing some purple and I am eager to buy a new one :p (that is when my wife allows it...)

there quite a few different versions
I stand corrected, I guess you made a lot of interim modifications without making posts. Good job, ever on the quest for perfection :) I'm sorry it took so long to get to an acceptable place though, but at least you've learned a lot along the way for the Pyra, eh?

Back