Kickstarter for commercial game licenses?

There have been attempts at getting Android to run before. Unless you plan to fund full-time developers, I don't see how a Kickstarter pledge would make a difference. Nor do I see the need to involve Kickstarter.

I'm not sure yet where I stand on using Kickstarter to acquire commercial game licenses. Most of the old games can be emulated and many of the newer titles aren't really worth the effort and money in my not so humble opinion. I'll wait and see what titles you guys can come up with.

Maybe not a commercial license, but kickstarter could be used to help fund some excellent original games.

Like Paper Wars or Dino Defense.

These both examples could also get ported to other platforms so it is not a pandora-onwer-only situation when funding.

It is great to see those games getting done first on our open handhelds (I don´t own a pandora yet, but Paper Wars runs on caanoo too).

Kinda makes my choice of gadgets a special one!

One thing really important. This project should be about bringing more quality games to the Pandora... Linux gaming has a really limited library and we need to polish some titles for the Pandora (2).

Focus less on emulation, and more on offering some professionalism to the platform.

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing really important. This project should be about bringing more quality games to the Pandora... Linux gaming has a really limited library and we need to polish some titles for the Pandora (2).

Focus less on emulation, and more on offering some professionalism to the platform.

You could not have stated it in a more perfect way :) ...oh maybe a change on ´quality games´ to ´quality software´? :p

Anyways, I agree 100% on that. Original professional software going first on the Pandora is bound to do the machine and devs a lot of good!

So, what about this? $2,500 enough? $25,000 better?

Kickstarter for Pandroid: $2,500 GOAL

Pledge $5 or more:

• Scalable cute Pandroid-supporter forum icon

• 800x480 Pandroid wallpaper

Pledge $40 or more:

• Pandroid starter pack: a Pandroid branded 32GB SD with Pandroid OS and wallpaper installed (shipping extra)

Pledge $95 or more:

• Cool Pandroid T-shirt, illustrated and designed by forum members

Pledge $250 or more (only 10 available):

• Limited edition glow-in-the-dark Pandroid keymat for Pandora

Pledge $1500 or more (only 3 available):

• Ltd edition Gold Pandroid Pandora console, w/ personalised engraving

Lots of nice indie games on android!

Fez

5aeb00c9ae580bb5f4baa5bcb4bdd70778227ae9.jpg__939x820_q85.jpg

Legend of Grimrock

45b205042d74cd52a6e20929774f1a1761ae3bff.jpg__939x820_q85.jpg

Limbo

755c04f615761a26caa74ccdd0df9ca48e8d021f.jpg__939x820_q85.jpg

Minecraft Pocket Edition

lGVTn.jpg

Super Meat Boy

6a404f28e56f3575de507d9610f3a06bbbe71d7b.jpg__939x820_q85.jpg

The Journey Down

journey%20down%20launch.png

More here

Galaxy on Fire 2

npnrj.jpg

Tales of Pocoro

FllQ3.jpg

Tank Hero

oGYyK.jpg

Cyber Knights RPG

yfFCy.jpg

So, what about this? $2,500 enough? $25,000 better?

Kickstarter for Pandroid: $2,500 GOAL

Pledge $5 or more:

• Scalable cute Pandroid-supporter forum icon

• 800x480 Pandroid wallpaper

Pledge $40 or more:

• Pandroid starter pack: a Pandroid branded 32GB SD with Pandroid OS and wallpaper installed (shipping extra)

Pledge $95 or more:

• Cool Pandroid T-shirt, illustrated and designed by forum members

Pledge $250 or more (only 10 available):

• Limited edition glow-in-the-dark Pandroid keymat for Pandora

Pledge $1500 or more (only 3 available):

• Ltd edition Gold Pandroid Pandora console, w/ personalised engraving

Do you already have developers willing to do the Android porting for the mentioned amount? If not, then I really don't see the point in even starting a Kickstarter project.

Also I wouldn't call it Pandroid. Android for the Pandaboard already uses that name. Could be confusing. That's the reason why I changed my attempt to "Droidora".

Do you already have developers willing to do the Android porting for the mentioned amount? If not, then I really don't see the point in even starting a Kickstarter project.

Awww, that's a bit negative. I'm stoking the fire, seeing what bright sparks fly out! Posting an idea is all I've done, everything begins from an idea! You do make a point though.

Any devs interested in doing a fully featured and supported port of Gingerbread? How much funding would such a project require?

Also I wouldn't call it Pandroid. Android for the Pandaboard already uses that name. Could be confusing. That's the reason why I changed my attempt to "Droidora".

Aha, thankyou for pointing that out! Is Droidora available then, Cyberworm? I presume you wouldn't want another attempt going by the same name, that is unless you are the one who'll do the deed :)

@quartercast - I don't know about the other stuff that you've listed, but I'm pretty sure that the Android version of Minecraft is exclusive to Sony telephones...

Sorry that I can't really contribute anything to this thread - I just felt that it was worth pointing this out. After all, Minecraft has been one of the most-requested things for the Pandora, and it would be wrong if people somehow got their hopes up and donated lots of money to try to get an Android version that would be unavailable to them due to exclusivity deals.

Aha, thankyou for pointing that out! Is Droidora available then, Cyberworm? I presume you wouldn't want another attempt going by the same name, that is unless you are the one who'll do the deed :)

I'm not working on Droidora anymore, you would have to ask ANDROID. He's currently working on it. But if it was me, I wouldn't want you to use Droidora.

PANdroid?

The name is the least important thing right now.. yep

Legends of Yore

6vCVB.png

Delver

GEoMI.jpg

Stickman Fighter II

V1OC2.jpg

Super Drill Panic

CpaRA.png

Spirit

d5JYX.jpg

Tongue Tied

X8BVg.jpg

The Lost City

nKLFz.jpg

To help you grumpies see what great indie titles are available on Android. Whether you want android ported or even just the indie titles themselves its relevant.

There seems to be an overall negative sentiment here towards android's commercialized nature but it clearly has a substantial library of original games being developed by smaller studios.

I think thats the type of content we'd like to see on the Pandora, no? Thats what this thread is about.

There seems to be an overall negative sentiment here towards android's commercialized nature

Really? I haven't seen it. In fact, I haven't seen any opposition at all to Android being available for the Pandora. All voices "against" it only cite that it would be an extremely difficult project, which is true, and sometimes that it might not be worth it.

I really have to agree that it's kind of annoying that you keep posting screenshots of random Android games, and it's not helpful at all. I could just as well hunt down and post screenshots to a gazillion open source Game Maker games in an attempt to insist that Kickstarter funding should be used to port and help develop ENIGMA, but I think you would find that to be no more helpful than I find your posting of screenshots from a ton of Android games. You have to consider the limitations of the plan and how viable of a plan it is.

In fact, I haven't seen any opposition at all to Android being available for the Pandora.

Here's some

People seem to be fond of Android when it comes to games - which games are there that I would want to play on the Pandora that haven't been done better already and are easy to emulate or even ported? I have seen a few very mediocre FPS and some awful "racing" games EDIT: an a Zelda clone that controlled like sh..

As for why I am opposed to the android os coming to the pandora, I personally think it would confuse things. Obviously the pandora is meant for personalization to work however you want it, but I think that blurring the lines between it and existing devices in the way that mimicking android would also destroys the identity that the pandora has.

No one cares about android. Android will suck on the Pandora.

Have you seen PSX emulation on android? I have an Acer A100, running Android 4.0 and PSX emulation is a joke.

It's 5 steps backwards especially with only 512mb. Improvements to the current OS would be miles better.

Let's put Android on the Pandora. This way, we'd get commercial games, and at the same time, we'd have the benefit of 'no one' buying the Pandora because its uniqueness -- based on openness and independence -- would be pretty much gone. Don't let the Pandora 'compete' with the iCP.

Etc

Back