Kickstarter for commercial game licenses?

You've got to remember.. this would be a very slim clean android build too.

No phone, no contacts, no sms, no GPS, no camera.

So built for games, media, internet.

Personally I'd rather throw a few hundred dollars at Notaz before contributing to a kickstarter for Android. I can't imagine raising enough money to hire someone professionally to port Android, it'd require a great deal of dedication I would think. I could be wrong, maybe someone with the right knowledge can build it up in a week, but given the three people that have tried so far I'm not particularly hopeful of such a quick turnaround.

Personally I would want to see the production of games made specifically for the pandora before getting the license to another game or games. I'm actually pretty opposed to the idea of android on the pandora but I'll get back to that. Basically we already have a million and a half existing games for the pandora because of its nack for emulation, not to mention the ongoing development of emulators by our much appreciated contributors here on the site.

And I love playing old games in all their original glory. But Something I love even more is seeing old ideas made fresh or fusing old ideas to make something new. Super Geometry Dust was the first game I played on the pandora and it is one of my favorites. Then later on I discovered pandora panic. Then Wind and Water (yes, a gp2x game but you get the point). I freaking love wind and water. These games all recieved a special amount of attention and I gladly would have paid money to download them. Which gives me the idea that to focus more attention to making original produced games for the pandora there should be some kind of arrangement to donate to ongoing projects (obviously for smaller parties that would accept this kind of thing). I know this isnt exactly my most thought out idea but if I personally were able to fund or donate to ongoing pandora software products in the same way I contributed and plan to contribute to the pandora project itself then I certainly would. The pandora has always been community driven like this.

And if we could get companies like yuan works (who I think made water and wind but I could be wrong) to produce more games for the pandora could we not do something similar to fund that effort? I dont know, but it's a cool idea.

As for why I am opposed to the android os coming to the pandora, I personally think it would confuse things. Obviously the pandora is meant for personalization to work however you want it, but I think that blurring the lines between it and existing devices in the way that mimicking android would also destroys the identity that the pandora has. This, I feel, is mainly an approachability issue because once these things become openly available to the point of making the pandora appealing as a result it confuses people about how the pandora works, and therefore their willingness to find out. The pandora is not a complicated device to set up. Especially not with all the pnds readily available for it. Will all the games made to play on the pandora you dont even need to properly know how to use emulators to have fun on it. PNDs like the pndmanager which was in the rebirth competition are examples of ways the pandora is becoming more accessible and also independant from devces like android tablets or (a strange comparison, I know) the nintendo ds.

speaking of the nintendo ds, shouldnt any new games we feature on the pandora have the same appeal as popular games released on the ds? ok, thats an extremely broad statement. I mean games that are graphically appealing but simple, usualy old school gameplay (which the pandora has no problems doing), logic, rpg, or puzzle games. Going back, super geometry dust, pandora panic, and water and wind all fit into one of these categories. It's their accessibility that I think makes them so fun in this format. People are always (ok not always) complaining about how theres no way to emulate nds games but we dont need to. we can have equaly fun if not more fun games made for the pandora that incorporate all of the controls depending on what the games need. Hell, we can mix genres in ways not done before with the keyboard and controls combined. I dont know, I'm just spit balling.

All of this, I think, could be applied to applications as well, not just games.

Well, thats just my two cents.

PS forgot to name drop the excellent games submitted in the rebirth competition, my two favorites being thruster and hurrican. Opendune was also impressive. Also, There are aot of games for the pandora that I'm still discovering that are both beautiful and entertaining. I now that some are just ports of linux games and some of those are ports of other games, but the sentiment is still there. They look good and are easy to play on the pandora. More of that please.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kickstarter for Pandroid: $2,500 GOAL

Pledge $5 or more:

• Scalable cute Pandroid-supporter forum icon

• 800x480 Pandroid wallpaper

Pledge $40 or more:

• Pandroid starter pack: a Pandroid branded 32GB SD with Pandroid OS and wallpaper installed (shipping extra)

Pledge $95 or more:

• Cool Pandroid T-shirt, illustrated and designed by forum members

Pledge $250 or more (only 10 available):

• Limited edition glow-in-the-dark Pandroid keymat for Pandora

Pledge $1500 or more (only 3 available):

• Ltd edition Gold Pandroid Pandora console, w/ personalised engraving

Let's put Android on the Pandora. This way, we'd get commercial games, and at the same time, we'd have the benefit of 'no one' buying the Pandora because its uniqueness -- based on openness and independence -- would be pretty much gone. Don't let the Pandora 'compete' with the iCP.

If anyone is interested in my opinion: rather use something like Kickstarter to fund something like a project that aims to help people understand how to create good gameplay, and then make clear that the project's primary target platform is the Pandora(2).

Don't forget it still has to be made, just throwing money at something doesnt make it happen.

Btw I'd rather see an initiative like this not go through kickstarter since they take 5% and amazon takes 5% which is a bit much on a small project. Just a page with a donate button will do....

Btw I'd rather see an initiative like this not go through kickstarter since they take 5% and amazon takes 5% which is a bit much on a small project. Just a page with a donate button will do....
The thing is, on Kickstarter there are many more people looking out for projects they deem supportable than there probably would be on an OpenPandora-created donation site. It's much better if the money is there before such a project is being implemented, and then when it exists people can still donate.

The way I see it, Kickstarter is quite fair with their 5%, at least for the time being.

The thing is, on Kickstarter there are many more people looking out for projects they deem supportable than there probably would be on an OpenPandora-created donation site. It's much better if the money is there before such a project is being implemented, and then when it exists people can still donate.

The way I see it, Kickstarter is quite fair with their 5%, at least for the time being.

I wonder how to get through to more pandora users (pre-orderers) I don't see any people that dont own or will own a pandora back such a project.

I wonder how to get through to more pandora users (pre-orderers) I don't see any people that dont own or will own a pandora back such a project.
Well, this can only be speculated, but there surely are quite a few people who like to create games as a hobby. It appears plausible that many of them would be interested in more accessible information about how to begin creating good gameplay. By the very definition of an 'end-user', that's not typically something an end-user will be interested in herself -- any end-user who understands and donates is just a bonus, do not try to milk them.

Knowledge about gameplay is only sometimes bound to a specific technical implementation, like with only so much screen real estate being available (for instance on a Pandora(2)), or input not being tactile (on a touchscreen-only device), but most of it is pretty much generally valid, and that which isn't can be explained in a way so that it becomes generally applicable. Additionally, even if the primary target of such an information platform is Pandora(2), it's shouldn't typically be very difficult to make it more generally useful by explicitly targeting, say, Pandora(2) + Linux desktops, or Pandora(2) + a certain development environment (which, in fact, should be done in any case, as the general usefulness of such a project is the single most important thing about it, or even the only).

No one cares about android. Android will suck on the Pandora.

Have you seen PSX emulation on android? I have an Acer A100, running Android 4.0 and PSX emulation is a joke.

It's 5 steps backwards especially with only 512mb. Improvements to the current OS would be miles better.

i was talking about porting dalvik to our linux. and i named a company that does exactly that for a fixed amount of money.

i was talking about porting dalvik to our linux. and i named a company that does exactly that for a fixed amount of money.
Do we know the fixed amount?

My free time opens up (quitting my job) in a couple of days.

I could port dalvik personally.

That sounds great. There is also alien dalvik and the new interface in ubuntu that lets you use android apps on the desktop.

Maybe this will help a bit.

no, maybe with some gravedigging the amount could be found on this forum. I'm just very sure that myriad named a fixed amount when they released their first alien dalvik port.

Well, I sent them a mail requesting for more details a few days ago, so let's see.

:D that would open up a ton of programmes wouldnt it :)

Btw I played wesnoth on a android phone and it doesn't even come close to the pandora experience :)

Back