Kalisiin's Gp32/gp2X/wiz/dingoo Whinging Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kalisiin

This sounds like a good idea...but, me, personally, I'd rather contribute what I can, when I can...to a coder who puts out something I actually like and can use...not something that some panel of judges votes on and thinks is good...but is of no use to me.

That said, is there going to be more than one prize, or is it winner takes all - another concept I hate, incidentally.

I would not mind contributing something, but only if it is done my way...that is...my money goes to someone who puts out something THAT I ACTUALLY LIKE AND CAN USE.

I don't want my money going to someone who put out something that...while others may like it...I think is a piece of shit, and is something that I would never use.

All in all, I would prefer to contribute directly to those coders who make things I actually use.

Kalisiin, This is a competition which can benefit the entire community, Especially if entries are submitted for every handheld listed, It is entirely up to you if you wish to contribute something. If you would like a more direct influence over the outcome of this competition, You could offer your services as a judge if you so wish.

Think of it a bit like a donation, You may not directly benefit from it personaly, But you will have a nice warm fuzzy feeling inside knowing that you made a contribution to something other members of the community will benefit from, That in my books has got to be worth it, But then, That's just me. :)

Oh, Iorgy, Please put me down for a £50 pledge, Thanks.

Trooper

trooper said:
Kalisiin, This is a competition which can benefit the entire community, Especially if entries are submitted for every handheld listed, It is entirely up to you if you wish to contribute something. If you would like a more direct influence over the outcome of this competition, You could offer your services as a judge if you so wish.

Think of it a bit like a donation, You may not directly benefit from it personaly, But you will have a nice warm fuzzy feeling inside knowing that you made a contribution to something other members of the community will benefit from, That in my books has got to be worth it, But then, That's just me. :)

Oh, Iorgy, Please put me down for a £50 pledge, Thanks.

Trooper

Well, Trooper...I'd just rather DIRECTLY benefit...from any contribution I might make.

And I don't like being forced/nudged into making any.

This competition, as I see it...is a way to nudge or force others into making contributions they otherwise might not have made.

When I see what comes out of the competition...and if it's useful to me...I'll make my own self a judge...by giving WHAT I CAN AFFORD ONLY...to whomever did what benefits ME the most.

Call me selfish if you want, but that's how I feel about it.

I'm rather insulted at being nudged into contributing anything at all.

Maybe it's because I stand no chance of winning, because I can't code jack shit. All the same, if I am contributing anything to anyone...it's going to be something useful to ME...and it will be at MY discretion...and initiative - NOT someone else's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well this wasn't about nudging or forcing anything. I'm sorry you feel insulted but I think you missed the point of this entirely.

It's just a fun little open competition. Over the years competitions have brought us some unexpected suprises and I guess that's what I am trying to recreate.

Iorgy77 said:
Well this wasn't about nudging or forcing anything. I'm sorry you feel insulted but I think you missed the point of this entirely.

It's just a fun little open competition. Over the years competitions have brought us some unexpected suprises and I guess that's what I am trying to recreate.
But it shouldn't be motivated by money. And no one ought to feel forced...or nudged...into giving money.

I can see you are new around here but maybe you don't understand how a coding competition works.

Coders compete for prizes.

I have not forced anyone to donate or even nudged. I asked if anyone would like to donate to pledge their intention here. There have been numerous coding competitions in the gp32/gp2x/wiz scene over the years. Some are organised by companies wishing to promote their web shops, others by websites and one or two by community members funded by community donations. This competition is exactly that, funded by us, for us. If you don't want to donate fine, nobody is forcing you or nudging you. I don't have prizes to give away that I think would be any good so I have offered a cash prize at this stage. I am not asking for anything specific because I would like the coders to do what they enjoy most and reward them for it. Without them this scene would be dead.

If you want to go and organise your "no prize unless you code exactly what Kallisiin wants competition" then best of luck to you.

Iorgy77 said:
I can see you are new around here but maybe you don't understand how a coding competition works.

Coders compete for prizes.

I have not forced anyone to donate or even nudged. I asked if anyone would like to donate to pledge their intention here. There have been numerous coding competitions in the gp32/gp2x/wiz scene over the years. Some are organised by companies wishing to promote their web shops, others by websites and one or two by community members funded by community donations. This competition is exactly that, funded by us, for us. If you don't want to donate fine, nobody is forcing you or nudging you. I don't have prizes to give away that I think would be any good so I have offered a cash prize at this stage. I am not asking for anything specific because I would like the coders to do what they enjoy most and reward them for it. Without them this scene would be dead.

If you want to go and organise your "no prize unless you code exactly what Kallisiin wants competition" then best of luck to you.

It isn't that.
You don't get it.
If you post who donated what to the prize fund...then it makes those who DIDN'T donate...look like crap...and that's a form of pressure into donating.

You should only put in the amounts so far offered...not who put them up.

And there ought to be a second, third, fourth prize, not winner take all.

And, again...if I were to "organize" such a thing...and I'm not about to...that is how I'd do it.

BUT...my point is...if I'm gonna put up money...THEN

A - I am going to judge what is best - based on what I like
B - I am going to, in some way, benefit.

I'm not putting up money just so that something everyone else likes, and maybe I hate...can win all the money.

No, sir.

Like, for example..I really want to see Final Burn Alpha - next version come out already. But a contest like this is likely to draw Slaanesh away from the work I'd rather see done. Because it's about MONEY.

I think this competition will take people OFF projects I would rather see completed....

That...and the way the donors/amounts are being made public...that's the issue I have with this.

I'm not a coder. I couldn't code squat, so I'd never have a chance to win. Not that I care. BUT...as a user...I want to see stuff come out that I actually want to USE...and, if and when I can afford to do so...at my own discretion, I am happy to reward those who put out stuff that I. in fact, actually use.

That is my point.

That's very selfish. Basically coders make the things they make in their spare time. Just because YOU want Final Burn, doesn't make Slaanesh obligated to work on it. The concept you put forward, where you donate to someone who makes what you want sounds very much to me like BUYING it. The point of donating money to this competition is to encourage devs to code for a much deserved prize and keep them interested in the console. With the amount of talented coders in the community, there is no chance that everyone or even anyone will produce something you feel is "a piece of shit".

That said, I'm afraid I'll be unable to donate, as I can barely afford rent at the moment. But I will probably compensate by donating to the winning developer when my circumstances change.

Nova said:
That's very selfish. Basically coders make the things they make in their spare time. Just because YOU want Final Burn, doesn't make Slaanesh obligated to work on it. The concept you put forward, where you donate to someone who makes what you want sounds very much to me like BUYING it. The point of donating money to this competition is to encourage devs to code for a much deserved prize and keep them interested in the console. With the amount of talented coders in the community, there is no chance that everyone or even anyone will produce something you feel is "a piece of shit".

That said, I'm afraid I'll be unable to donate, as I can barely afford rent at the moment. But I will probably compensate by donating to the winning developer when my circumstances change.
Selfish? So be it.
I think it's selfish to nudge/pressure people into donating monies that they cannot afford.

No, slaanesh is not obligated to work on anything. BUT...I don't want this stupid competition to take his attention off where I know it is at the moment.

And I don't think it is at all selfish to want to

A - insure that...my money goes to a coder who develops something I actually like and use.
Thus making sure I actually get something for my money.

B - Decide for myself (my money being my vote) who made the best thing...and reward them accordingly. I could care less what some panel of judges thinks. I care what I think...and what I would use.

If you think that's selfish, too bad. Then I'm selfish.

I, on the other hand, think it's selfish to ask people to donate towards a prize pool - in a manner that makes people feel pressured into giving. and that has been my problem with this entire thing from the get-go. The manner in which this whole thing was introduced, and has thus far played out...has been to make people feel pressured into giving...by putting up names and amounts (so that if you didn't donate, you look like horse-shit.)

I speak up for all those out there who feel as I do - and don't have the guts to stick their own necks out and say so. I know, out there, at least two or three people are silently grateful that I am sticking my neck out like this for them. so that they don't have to.

See, I really don't care if people like me or not. I speak out when I see things I don't like - and I call 'em the way I see 'em...and if that makes me unliked by some people, so be it.

This entire thing has been handled horribly from jump street. the only thing that should have been put up is the total prize money - and what distribution would be for 1st, 2nd, 3rd place, etc. NOT who donated...nor how much.

Like I said, it makes those who didn't donate look/feel bad. Maybe some people are having a hard enough time just EATING right now in this crappy economy. And they don't need someone to make them look or feel bad.

And that's my final word.

Who said there won't be a second or third prize?

You are worried that by not donating you look bad yet continue to make these selfish "do what I want" posts.

The only thing making you look bad is your selfish attitude and continuous whining and complaining.

Why the hell shouldn't the people who pledge donations get some recognition? They are contributing to making this contest a success.

For the last time I haven't nudged or pressured anyone and if you see it that way you are completely missing the point of the word DONATION.

If you cant afford to donate then don't, nobody is going to think less of you. But the selfish whining and jumping up and down has made you look silly.

Kalisiin, I think you have a problem with feeling like other people are mistreating you when they aren't doing anything wrong. At the very least, if you're going to be this sensitive about everything then you could stand to be less critical of other people in return. And when you're the only person who feels a certain way about something it's best to just let it go, especially when you're basically speaking against what everyone else wants.

Contests like this are very customary. A pot prize is offered in order to give people more incentive to compete. If you want to donate to individual results of this progress based on your preferences then that's certainly your prerogative, but not only would no one want to enter a contest like that but it's much less exciting for others too.

I don't know why you feel threatened by Iorgy giving recognition to those who are contributing. If you think that this is a jab against you then you then this speaks of very serious insecurity issues. Very few people are actually going to be contributing and it's understood that those who are are doing it because they're interested in the contest, not because they're better people. Iorgy has already made it very clear that he doesn't think less of anyone for not donating, so why can't you just accept that and move on, instead of going on about how offended you are even when no one else minds? I think it would do you some good to think about the bigger picture around things instead of just looking at your own feelings in a vacuum.

Iorgy77 said:
If you cant afford to donate then don't, nobody is going to think less of you.

Exophase said:
Very few people are actually going to be contributing and it's understood that those who are are doing it because they're interested in the contest, not because they're better people.

Yeah, RIIIIIIIGHT!!!

The ones in the contest will think THEY are better people.

Kalisiin said:
Yeah, RIIIIIIIGHT!!!

Maybe you should go less on what you assume others think and take what they say more at face value.

Iorgy77 said:
The only thing making you look bad is your selfish attitude and continuous whining and complaining.
QFT.

Kalisiin said:
Iorgy77 said:

Exophase said:
Very few people are actually going to be contributing and it's understood that those who are are doing it because they're interested in the contest, not because they're better people.

Yeah, RIIIIIIIGHT!!!

Kalisiin, This is ridiculous, I have, And many others have been part of this forum (Community) for years. There have been countless competitions held over all those years, Most, But not all of them have had prizes donated by members of this community, Mainly because these devices don`t have the financial backing of large corporations to offer such prizes. And, As has already been mentioned, It helps keep communities like this alive, Gives coders an incentive to start new project`s or even finish incomplete ones. They receive prizes (Once judged) for their contributions, And WE as mere mortals receive new goodies to use on ours handhelds. That's got to be a win win situation.

Basically, That`s the way it`s been done over all these years, It`s not going to change now.

Trooper

trooper said:
Kalisiin said:
Iorgy77 said:

Exophase said:

Yeah, RIIIIIIIGHT!!!

Kalisiin, This is ridiculous, I have, And many others have been part of this forum (Community) for years. There have been countless competitions held over all those years, Most, But not all of them have had prizes donated by members of this community, Mainly because these devices don`t have the financial backing of large corporations to offer such prizes. And, As has already been mentioned, It helps keep communities like this alive, Gives coders an incentive to start new project`s or even finish incomplete ones. They receive prizes (Once judged) for their contributions, And WE as mere mortals receive new goodies to use on ours handhelds. That's got to be a win win situation.

Basically, That`s the way it`s been done over all these years, It`s not going to change now.

Trooper

It still should not be about prizes/money.
And if it is...then the manufacturers of the device should put it up. Not people who often have to struggle to even EAT.

Kalisiin said:
And if it is...then the manufacturers of the device should put it up. Not people who often have to struggle to even EAT.

Nobody is asking someone who is struggling to eat to put forth money. In fact, I think knowing this it would be best if they outright refused the money from someone who should be spending it on food. I don't know why you keep feeling like anyone is pressuring you to spend money on this. At this point I'd be surprised if they'd even accept yours.

And seriously, save your sob story. I mean, I might feel sorry for you if I didn't already know you bought FOUR Dingoos.

Kalisiin said:

It`s starting to go off topic, But just to answer/question some of your above queries.

It`s not about, And never has been about prizes/money, It`s a two sided coin, You don`t get everything for nothing, Even amongst communities such as this one.

As for the Manufacturers, This and many other communities ARE pretty much the after sale`s support of alot of these types of devices, Especially when the warranty has run out and someone requires help.

I find it hard to believe that "people who often have to struggle to even EAT" would have the funds to spend on luxuries such as the Wiz, Dingoo, GP2x etc, Much less afford an internet connection to participate in activities such as an on-line competition.

I personally don`t think this is going to get us anywhere.

Trooper

Agree with everything said here. Usually, I'd say this thread should be closed, but due to the nature of it, it should definitely remain open.
Thus I propose Kalisiin's posts (and ones from others regarding her posts, including this one) be deleted and she agrees not to post in a thread about a competition she refuses to care about/involve herself in, as it is just souring the atmosphere.

Is that ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back