Just about to buy a new card

maddis

Website
www.ringtonesheep.co.uk
Hi, I'm finally ready to get a memory card as the 100mb internal memory is very limiting.

I have a budget of £30 at the moment which i can see i can just about get a 32gb card for that amount.I have looked through previous posts and also looked on amazon. Fact is, there are so many variants.

Things i do want:

- Class 10

- >= 16GB

- Not to spend over £30

I have found this card, but not sure whether its worth risking:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/KomputerBay-Class-Secure-Digital-Memory/dp/B003SGGG2Y/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1305291909&sr=8-7

Don't bother with Class 10, the Pandora can't take advantage of the extra speed. I think 6 might be pointless too, not sure.

Unless you wanna run the OS off your SD card, you don't really need a fast one.

Last edited by a moderator:
also check prices for 2 16GB cards, anything 32 upwards is really bad prices per GB, there's 2 sd slots anyway, and if one then breaks (happens mroe often than you'd think) there's still a spare

Don't bother with Class 10, the Pandora can't take advantage of the extra speed. I think 6 might be pointless too, not sure.

Unless you wanna run the OS off your SD card, you don't really need a fast one.

Interesting, class 6 would probably suite me then. I will be using the Pandora as a card reader via windows 7 on my main computer when transferring games over, will the faster speed be supported?

Edit - updated

also check prices for 2 16GB cards, anything 32 upwards is really bad prices per GB, there's 2 sd slots anyway, and if one then breaks (happens mroe often than you'd think) there's still a spare

Makes sense. Works out the same price i guess by the looks of it
Would depend if in the long run you would want 2 32gb?

I bought 1 16gb and will buy a 32gb when I have the mulah spare IMO 16gb is enough unless you want a)alot of music,b)alot of PSX Isos c)alot of videos d) all of the above,

most games/roms for other systems are <8mb

Makes sense. Works out the same price i guess by the looks of it
Would depend if in the long run you would want 2 32gb?

I bought 1 16gb and will buy a 32gb when I have the mulah spare IMO 16gb is enough unless you want a)alot of music,b)alot of PSX Isos c)alot of videos d) all of the above,

most games/roms for other systems are <8mb

I'm tossing a coin as we speak! Heads = 2x16gb, Tails = 1x32gb

Why do people keep saying this? Class 10 means it writes at a minimum of 10MB/s constant speed. The Pandora has a theoretical max speed of 25MB/s and anecdotal speeds of 16MB/s, 6MB more than the 10MB a class 10 guarantees.

The reason you don't want to bother with a class 10 is because the Pandora doesn't NEED to maintain 10MB/s write at all times. Even a class 4 can average 16MB/s, but will occasionally drop to 4MB/s before speeding back up. Whoopdy freakin' doo.

If you're doing real time HD video recording, however, where the data stream is between 8 and 10MB/s, a sudden drop to 6MB means you are losing frames like crazy, and that is just unacceptable.

There is some correlation between class and maximum speed, but not nearly as much as you might think these days. A lot of cards, especially class 6 but even some class 4, are capable of speeds well in excess of their minimums.

Just speaking from personal experience, but if you can afford the extra £10, I would strongly recommend this SanDisk Class 4 32GB card, which is £40.

I switched to it after running into issues with a Class 6 card from Verbatim (some faster cards, usually Class 6 and Class 10, seem to have some problems in the Pandora), and the SanDisk card has solved a bunch of irritating problems that I was having, as well as not falling victim to frequent file and filesystem corruption as the Verbatim card did.

^ Thankfully, it seems that it's just some cards, not some Pandoras.

Assuming the card in question isn't a type made with random hodgepodges of parts (as, for example, Kingston does, which can mean that some cards which are labelled as being the same are problematic but others are fine), then if your experience with it has been good, chances are everyone else's also will be. :)

Got one of these and it works fine with my Pandora, not sure if the 32GB Class 10 problem manifested with some Pandoras or just some cards.

^ Thankfully, it seems that it's just some cards, not some Pandoras.

Assuming the card in question isn't a type made with random hodgepodges of parts (as, for example, Kingston does, which can mean that some cards which are labelled as being the same are problematic but others are fine), then if your experience with it has been good, chances are everyone else's also will be. :)

Seem good cards, so I opted for a 2nd whilst they're still low priced. No issues bar keyboard shortcuts but thats not these cards.

^

This is bad information. I have 32GB Class X cards that work just fine in the Pandora and Stan's logic below here seems spot on:

Why do people keep saying this? Class 10 means it writes at a minimum of 10MB/s constant speed. The Pandora has a theoretical max speed of 25MB/s and anecdotal speeds of 16MB/s, 6MB more than the 10MB a class 10 guarantees.

The reason you don't want to bother with a class 10 is because the Pandora doesn't NEED to maintain 10MB/s write at all times. Even a class 4 can average 16MB/s, but will occasionally drop to 4MB/s before speeding back up. Whoopdy freakin' doo.

If you're doing real time HD video recording, however, where the data stream is between 8 and 10MB/s, a sudden drop to 6MB means you are losing frames like crazy, and that is just unacceptable.

There is some correlation between class and maximum speed, but not nearly as much as you might think these days. A lot of cards, especially class 6 but even some class 4, are capable of speeds well in excess of their minimums.

I don't know how many people remember the days of 3.5" floppy disks? Or Minidisc Audio? I would be curious to know how many places in the world SD cards are made. In those facilities, I wonder how many brands are produced?

My guess is somewhere is a room full of stickers from all the companies currently buying up the same SD cards and slapping on the proper sticker (or improper if its a thicker one that throws off the specs).

I would be curious to know how many places in the world SD cards are made. In those facilities, I wonder how many brands are produced?

My guess is somewhere is a room full of stickers from all the companies currently buying up the same SD cards and slapping on the proper sticker (or improper if its a thicker one that throws off the specs).

The flash memory chips come from only a half-dozen factories. These get shipped to various places where they are assembled into SD cards. There are more such places than chip foundries. What you describe undoubtably happens.

Back