Lexar 128GB SDXC - Who's going to be first on this?

Does it already support SDXC?
As said multiple times before: SDXC consists out of 2 different standards: SD 3.0 and 4.0.

3.0 is kind of identically with SDHC, the only large difference would be using exFAT instead of FAT32, which can be changed. SD 4.0 has a 2nd row of pins and is actually somewhat incompatible to SDHC.

SD 3.0 is no problem if you format it with something useful, SD 4.0 is likely incompatible (there is no official statement, though).

I wonder when someone is actually going to make this Pandora gamble? I've been waiting for someone to buy an SDXC card over 64GB just for or specifically for Pandora.

Last edited by a moderator:
In a roundabout fashion, my guide sort of does cover SDXC, because the hacked controller-chips in fake cards can be set to read out as any size the producers of them want, including ones that meet or exceed what SDXC can currently do. :p

Whoever does this needs to go in eyes open and be of a technical mind.

Stock out of the box these would be formatted as exFAT - a proprietary Microsoft format.

According to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SDXC#SDXC

The device should be addressable by a partitioning tool as a plain block device.

So - in theory - to use it in a Pandora it would need to be re-partitioned with ext2 ext3 or ext4 or multiple FAT32 partitions.

SDXC 4.0 has the extra row of pins - but in theory those pins are there for faster transfers only and the card should fall back to standard SDHC/SDXC3.0 transfer types if they're not used - but I've never owned one.

Obviously I'm tempted to do it. It's just really hard to justify it since my two class10 32GB Patriot LX cards aren't even half full.

Hmm...

or multiple FAT32 partitions.
The 32 GiB restriction has nothing to do with FAT32 itself, it is simply an 'enforced recommendation' of Microsoft. Any 3rd party partitioning tool will allow to create partitions way larger than that, the real limit is 8 TiB (@32 KiB clusters), and a lot of external HDDs that claim Mac compatibility used to be formatted with it.

SDXC 4.0 has the extra row of pins - but in theory those pins are there for faster transfers only and the card should fall back to standard SDHC/SDXC3.0 transfer types if they're not used - but I've never owned one.
There are no SD 4.0 cards on the market, yet, and that's the problem. No one can give you a definite answer about what is possible and what not, we can only wait and test it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoever does this needs to go in eyes open and be of a technical mind.

Stock out of the box these would be formatted as exFAT - a proprietary Microsoft format.

According to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SDXC#SDXC

The device should be addressable by a partitioning tool as a plain block device.

So - in theory - to use it in a Pandora it would need to be re-partitioned with ext2 ext3 or ext4 or multiple FAT32 partitions.

Obviously I'm tempted to do it. It's just really hard to justify it since my two class10 32GB Patriot LX cards aren't even half full.

Hmm...

I actually formatted my 64g with partition wizard and it was fine without making multiple partitions.

Got two... They work a charm but you need to format to something other than the default partition. I tried ext4/3 to no avail but fat32 works great. You might need to install the dos fs tools to format it though.

No problem... Just remember itwont mount the default partition so don't freak out.

For some reason when using ext3 it got stuck in read only mode and an fsck wasn't resolving the issue. I decided to go with fat32 which so far is workin dine.

For a bit more info...

Open a terminal...

sudo opkg update

sudo opkg install dosfstools

For the next steps replace /dev/sda with whatever your device is (probably /dev/mmcblk0 or 1) and replace /dev/sda1 with whatever your partition is... /dev/mmcblk0p1 or /dev/mmcblk1p1.

Here are the rest of the terminal commands...

Type the following:

fdisk /dev/sda

Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/sda: 128 MB, 128974848 bytes

4 heads, 62 sectors/track, 1015 cylinders

Units = cylinders of 248 * 512 = 126976 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System

Command: n  “Create new partition!”

p           “Create primary partition!”

Partition number (1-4): 1

First cylinder: (enter for default)

Last cylinder:  (enter for default)

Command: t

Hex code (type L to list codes): b

Command: a  “Make partition #1 active!”

Partition number (1-4): 1

Command: p

Disk /dev/sda: 128 MB, 128974848 bytes

4 heads, 62 sectors/track, 1015 cylinders

Units = cylinders of 248 * 512 = 126976 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System

/dev/sda1   *           1        1015      125829    b  FAT32

Command: w  “Write table to disk and exit!”

Format the USB drive with a FAT filesystem.

mkdosfs -F 32 /dev/sda1  “It will work with FAT32″

That is all there is to it, really…

Back