SD drama's in heaven

xXJippedXx

Still Fresh
Can anyone confirm if this bad boy is compatible with the Pandora dream machine (as it REALLY should be renamed)

I know there is a compatibility issue with some 64gb cards.

Failing that, maybe a link to a card thats known to work. Thank you please :D

My link

I think there is the possibility of compatibility issues with future 64GB cards as the manufacturers switch to the new SD standard for SDXC.

Again this could all be out of my backside, but it is certainly something that comes to mind.

I've not had time to keep up .. are there any generalyl good quality 32GB or 64GB SD cards that we can get for a halfway reasonably price? ie: class 6-10?

ie: Some brands are 'generally good' (unless bought on ebay), where some are hit or miss depending what random crap they shove in and put thei rbrand sticker on (unless bought from ebay.) Buying SD from ebay is never good :)

So whats a good safe brand to buy a big-ass SD card from, and it'll actually be the named size, and high speed, and work in pandora?

Help a brother out :)

jeff

Sandisk and Transcend have gotten generally good reviews here. I have a Sandisk 64GB card and the read speed is fine but the write speed is kinda slow.

I go with Verbatim for my big cards - two 32GB ones - and they haven't let me down. They're both Class 6, and apparently meant for digital camcorders. They cost me about £60 each, around the middle of last year (shortly after, they shot up in price when flash prices rose again, but they're £50 as of right now). During that time, there's been decent drops in the prices of genuine Class 2 and Class 4 cards, and this also seems to have carried over to Class 6 and Class 10.

SanDisk are also good.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember someone from this forum reported that with a SDXC card you need to use a SDXC compatible SD slot to format it correctly. Get Gparted for the Pandora and format it there to get the full 64GB, if you try on your computer without a XC compatible slot you'll only get 32GB out of it.

So this will work on the Pandora but you need to either format it on the Pandora or get a SDXC card reader for your PC and format it thought that. Most SD slots on PCs and USB readers are only SDHC and those will only see any SDXC card as 32GB.

I got a 16GB PNY class 10 card for $27 off of Amazon a few days ago. It's a good card with great read speed, and good write speed, as long as you're writing less than 256 MB at a time. It has a 256 MB write cache, so writing 256MB is nearly instantaneous... But, once you exceed the write cache, it writes at 2MB/s, which gives me sads.

I remember someone from this forum reported that with a SDXC card you need to use a SDXC compatible SD slot to format it correctly. Get Gparted for the Pandora and format it there to get the full 64GB, if you try on your computer without a XC compatible slot you'll only get 32GB out of it.

So this will work on the Pandora but you need to either format it on the Pandora or get a SDXC card reader for your PC and format it thought that. Most SD slots on PCs and USB readers are only SDHC and those will only see any SDXC card as 32GB.

But the panda slot isn't an sdxc slot. It is only sdhc.

But the panda slot isn't an sdxc slot. It is only sdhc.
I didn't get that either really, maybe because it isn't through a USB bus? Every SD slot on a computer is actually through USB. Maybe not notebooks, but PCs are. The Pandora can format them fine though, or so I hear.

I'm sorry, but I'm pretty sure that that's a complete myth. I've seriously never heard of an SDHC reader only being able to see 32GB of a 64GB card, and I'm almost certain that that's not the case.

The current SDXC Cards are actually just SDHC Cards by another name for the benefit of Microsoft Windows, which if my memory serves me correctly can only support 32GB for existing flash media - these current ones use the same interface, same pins, and so on. "True" SDXC Cards and SDXC readers are not even on the market yet, to the best of my knowledge, and the Pandora definitely doesn't have one - these use different pins, and this is why most SDXC Cards will not be compatible-via-firmware-update as had originally been hoped by some.

I'm sorry, but I'm pretty sure that that's a complete myth. I've seriously never heard of an SDHC reader only being able to see 32GB of a 64GB card, and I'm almost certain that that's not the case.
Since the spec is artificially limited to 32GB, I can imagine there are some readers out there that really do only look at the relevant address lines. It wouldn't make a lot of sense for them to do so, but it didn't make a lot of sense to artificially limit the capacity in the first place either :p

The current SDXC Cards are actually just SDHC Cards by another name for the benefit of Microsoft Windows, which if my memory serves me correctly can only support 32GB for existing flash media - these current ones use the same interface, same pins, and so on. "True" SDXC Cards and SDXC readers are not even on the market yet, to the best of my knowledge, and the Pandora definitely doesn't have one - these use different pins, and this is why most SDXC Cards will not be compatible-via-firmware-update as had originally been hoped by some.
Eh, could be, I saw it here or at gp32x forums. If I remember correctly he couldn't get his PC to format it correctly, it kept formatting it as 32GB. I'll try to find it and post it here.

So the short answer is: The 64GB card will work in your Pandora. Whether it works in your PC is another matter.

i have a few sandisk 32gb ultras that im quite comfortable with, and i just got 2 more 32gb canton class10's, well see how those handle, h2testw likes them so far, dont know how theyll handle over time

so would this be exactly like the case where there are 4gb sd cards available now, even though the myth states that sd standard only goes to 2gb, once it surpasses that, it becomes sdhc format?

I just got a Transcend 64GB which works fine with the Pandora. I tried to format it on my desktop initially (through an SDHC adapter), but it would only do it as 32GB. Then I remembered we've got Gparted on the Pandora (thanks Sebt3); that did it no problem :)
I seem to have exaggerated a bit and added more info with my frail human mind, it seems he couldn't format it through just a USB adapter, not the one on his PC, sorry. A million and two things could have been happening there but the Pandora can format a 64GB card as a 64GB card if all else fails.

EDIT: Hey, it was a Trancend card, probably the same one linked above, so it most likely works!

Back