Join what has been split

As an archive, I would rather prefer it remaining separate. The look and feel of gp32x reminds me of the old days. This site does not. I will not be nostalgic over the early days on these boards, the posts will just be buried in the history without me thinking of them.

Well, I wouldn't only use it as an archive. It will stay r/w so that everyone can continue to discuss.

The look and feel of gp32x has been changed as well, as we moved over to IPB3 from the old IPB2 version.

Also, the front page is gone... so it's mostly nothing except a normal forum now.

Weren't there at least a couple of cases of differences in usernames between the two boards?   What does the account merging process take into account?

It's not really an issue for me,  my username on both boards is the same, and my one single post on the other boards has been correctly assigned to me in the test merging, but I seem to vaguely recall someone mentioning a few years back that their preferred username from the old boards was already taken when they signed up here.

-Neelix

PS is it possible to turn off the 3 letter minimum for search terms in xenforo?   I forgot how annoying that can be.

Last edited by a moderator:
It first uses the eMail address for the merge and then the username.

PS is it possible to turn off the 3 letter minimum for search terms in xenforo?   I forgot how annoying that can be.

Yes, that works once I have re-enabled ElasticSearch. I did a test with it, but that was before the new import :)

How many people still post to gp32x.de that don't post here?  Last time I looked (admittedly, over a year ago I think) there were still a few old faces posting that hadn't moved here.  I'd like their opinion of the merge, ideally (although if it exists as a sort of island on the new site, I can see less issues).

Okay, it seems like a clear result. Over at GP32x.de, there weren't many results (as expected), but it seems they also are in favour of that.

As the importer is finished, my plan now is to close down the test site, set it up with everything that's needed (Repo inclusion, website, etc.) and will then close down the boards for one or two days to migrate to the new site.

I plan to finish that until christmas :)

It seems a shame to lose some of the identity of gp32x and its unique theme and so forth .. but at the same time, its already 'dead' in a lot of ways, so a merger may bring it more life in the long term, and better archival future and such.

So.. a bit of a shame, but it seems the best future for an old friend.

*heart gp32x*

jeff

And again.. thanks ED for rescuing it those years ago :)

I'd prefer a merge for 3 simple reasons:

1) I'd love to see a little more "flow through" on the old forums, even if it's in the form of overflow from Pandora/Pyra forums, it's a ghost town over there

2) I feel like I'm posting in the wrong area no matter which place I post, gp32x cause it's a graveyard and here in other consoles cause it seems... well, just not quite like I'm in the right audience or somewhere too generic...

3) I got in trouble for the "adult friend finder" pop-ups while researching stuff (Cause googling gp32x.de works better than using the built-in search functions, but tends to bring up alternate sites the first click), would love to be able to browse the old forums without that issue...

It might be good but wouldn't that make all links to the gp32x.de useless?

The old links to gp32x.de were broken, but there was nothing could be done about that, and at least links can be fixed just by changing com to de. And that was a while ago, so there are probably a good number of new links now.

It should be possible to set up a redirect, if there is a systematic mapping from gp32x topic/post IDs to Pyra forum topic/post IDs (not possible to keep the same ones because of clashes with openpandora.org content).

Are links to the Pandora forum going to be OK after the conversion?

I was going to look at what was happening exactly with the topic and post IDs from the two forums, but seems like http://www.pyra-handheld.com/boards/ hasn't been up for a while.

Can't wait for them to be available again, I've been doing research on some gp2x touchscreen wiz/caanoo opengl es 1.1 stuff the past few days, wasn't expecting switching pages to lose the info temporarily :p

@Hooka: If you like, I could give you temp access to the new boards while I'm importing :)

Totally up to you, helps me do my research for GINGE, but at the same time I found similar info in notaz's libpicofe, so I'm using that atm :)

Back