Japanese / German special character input on Pandora?

jamesjbruce

Still Fresh
Hey all,

I don't know if my forum-fu and wiki-googling is failing me, but I can't find any info about foreign language input on the Pandora.

Ideally I wanted to know if any IME or similar have had tutorials written up?

I was planning to use the Pandora to learn German and Japanese via Anki on the move, so if there's any info specific to entering those two languages, that'd be helpful.

Added bonus - if this has already been covered, and someone can point me in the right direction, or towards another forum thread, that'd be great - I'd be willing to write it up on the wiki :)

Thanks!

Hey all,

I don't know if my forum-fu and wiki-googling is failing me, but I can't find any info about foreign language input on the Pandora.

Ideally I wanted to know if any IME or similar have had tutorials written up?

I was planning to use the Pandora to learn German and Japanese via Anki on the move, so if there's any info specific to entering those two languages, that'd be helpful.

Added bonus - if this has already been covered, and someone can point me in the right direction, or towards another forum thread, that'd be great - I'd be willing to write it up on the wiki :)

Thanks!

I dunno about the Japaneese characters, but you can make the german ones with the compose key combination.

Start with shift-enter

Now type in what you want to mix with a existing character. For example, we want to make a ü. Type " (fn+s)

Now we want to combine that with u, so just type 'u'. Hold down shift to get a big Ü.

From that you can probably guess the other combinations.

This works for german characters, I can confirm this. :)

Unfortunately this does *not* work for polish characters (ąęł...) :unsure: - currently I am using a quite clumsy method to input polish words in Anki:

open a textfile in Mousepad

input polish word *with* special characters

ctrl+c -> Anki -> ctrl-v

Any help for entering polish characters in Anki directly would be really appreciated. :D

This works for german characters, I can confirm this. :)

Unfortunately this does *not* work for polish characters (ąęł...) :unsure: - currently I am using a quite clumsy method to input polish words in Anki:

open a textfile in Mousepad

input polish word *with* special characters

ctrl+c -> Anki -> ctrl-v

Any help for entering polish characters in Anki directly would be really appreciated. :D

Doesn't ','+'a', ','+'e', '/'+'l' work? Should work like normal compose o_O

Unfortunately this does *not* work for polish characters (ąęł...)

Doesn't ','+'a', ','+'e', '/'+'l' work? Should work like normal compose o_O

No, in Anki it doesn't. It *does* work in Mousepad, thats why I'm using it for the first input.

BTW: ','+'a' creates
ą (a with ogonek) while ','+'e' creates ȩ (e with cedilla);

for ę (e with ogonek) you need ';'+'e' - it took me a while to figure this out, especially with the tiny 'hooks' on the small screen :lol:

As for Japanese, I know you can create kanji using Gwaei, but you can't input kana.

Thanks for the info on German special characters. I'll try it :)

Any word on ß? Maybe there's somewhere we can look these up?

As for Japanese, I know you can create kanji using Gwaei, but you can't input kana.
Ouch. That's a bit weird, kanji but no kana.

I'll look into that.

There's no Microsoft IME-style software for Pandora yet then? Surely there must be some solution to this if Japanese people are buying them :p

Maybe one can be ported and PNDised, I'm sure there must be one for ARM Linux in general.

I wonder if the Angstrom linux that Pandora's OS is based on, has this?

If nobody knows I can research myself, hehe :)

Back