Is the Pandora avaible for a favorable price for chrismas?

I think if the price for the pandora would be 400 for the 1ghz. More people will buy it. Just like me for example.

And i can help to get the pandora more in public. i will show it to everyone, make presentions, Facebook, etc. :)

220px-DoNotFeedTroll.svg.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I just love threads like these. Someone saying they want one but can't really afford the price tag, then some die hards come on and argue the price isn't too high and present reasons the price is justified. I agree the price is really high, but I also agree the price has reasons. I don't feel the current price is worth the experience though. Even if its not possible the $350 launch price is the "worth" of the Pandora from my point of view as a consumer. Theres plenty of reasons why that's not possible, but none of which change the "value" of the Pandora. You have to really really want to have a Pandora to pony up the cash for one. What I think is funny is those that defend the current price so strongly are some that I've read calling other things cheaper being "too expensive" not pointing fingers at anyone in this thread, but as been said this conversation comes up a bunch.

I think if the price for the pandora would be 400 for the 1ghz. More people will buy it. Just like me for example.
If $400 means ED is losing money then more people buying it means he's losing money faster. :p EvilDragon doesn't have a multi-billion dollar company to maintain, he's not intentionally jacking up prices in order to squeeze as much money as possible out of customers; the amount he charges is the amount he legitimately believes is fair. If he charges less he won't be able to survive. The price is the price and if you can't see the value of it regardless of the price than it probably isn't the product for you: search for something that fits your needs for the price you're willing to pay. If you find such a thing then great! If you cannot find such a thing then you will understand why the Pandora is the price that it is.

A vote for a cool christmas event, like a christmas competition (dsp coding anyone?). And an email to people on the Pandora Mailing List that the price for the Ghz unit (upgrade price too?) has dropped a lot. And that the rebirth and cc are avaible at starting 200€. Maybe someone wants a second Pandora for his / her kids or girl friend.

Maybe someone wants a second Pandora for his / her kids or girl friend.
I actually think about getting a Rebirth, because not having one at times when my Ghz-Pandy was in repair was hard. ^^

My 3DS-XL collects dust anyway, it's just not that cool and flexible.

Well, right now I've got the problem that the Pandoras sell faster than I can get them... and that's not just upgrades from Craigs orders.

So the price can't be that bad ;)
Ed? Is it possible to make a special weekwhere you can get a 1Ghz for 400€? Just for one week.

What for?

I'm selling more units than I can right now and we need basically every cent to have a stable future (successor, etc.)

Lowering the price makes sense if you made enough money already AND the demand is low.

Please post my one out today if you've not already done so ED

I want to be fully operational by Christmas :)

I just love threads like these. Someone saying they want one but can't really afford the price tag, then some die hards come on and argue the price isn't too high and present reasons the price is justified. I agree the price is really high, but I also agree the price has reasons. I don't feel the current price is worth the experience though. Even if its not possible the $350 launch price is the "worth" of the Pandora from my point of view as a consumer. Theres plenty of reasons why that's not possible, but none of which change the "value" of the Pandora. You have to really really want to have a Pandora to pony up the cash for one. What I think is funny is those that defend the current price so strongly are some that I've read calling other things cheaper being "too expensive" not pointing fingers at anyone in this thread, but as been said this conversation comes up a bunch.
The thing is that ED does still need to turn at least a modest profit. Most of the people who complain about the costs, are comparing the cost to what it would cost Sony or Nintendo to produce. And the Pandora would be a lot cheaper if ED were building them in those sorts of quantities as well.

And as ED pointed out after your post, he's having a hard time producing enough of them to satisfy demand at the present price. Lowering the price would just make that worse.

As much as I sympathize with the people who can't afford to buy one, I was only able to afford one because my payments were inadvertently spread out over years. The P2 is likely to be more affordable as they've learned a lot about production and likely there won't be anywhere near as much wasted on things like CC's incompetently high failure rates.

heh... are you trying to explain to me why the price is the way it is? If so, I believe I made it clear I'm in complete understanding of the current state of affairs and why things are the way they are. And like yourself own a pandora myself. My post was pointing out that regardless of those additional factors it doesn't change the perceived value to a large portion of the potential market of people that would have a use for one of these.

it's not just one or two device manufacturers out there though, it's EVERY device manufacturer that makes similar sized devices that have similar functions at similar or better speeds for cheaper that help make the determination of value for the consumer. Is it wrong for people to use those individual points of reference in determining value?? Even if most (including myself) feel those points of reference are slightly off because they don't hit EVERY SINGLE POINT ABSOLUTELY EXACTLY. As a sum of it's parts, I'm still in firm belief that $300-400 is the actual "value" regardless of what is being charged and paid for it time and time again.

Hardware form factor, build quality, performance, software function and availability and even software cost. I believe those are the tangible things that can be used in determining actual value. When you take all those factors into place regardless of how much it costs to make and even how unique it is, being an all in one, mishaps in production, making livable profit, scale of manufacturing whatever, it is what it is. A 1Ghz cortex a8 handheld with half a gig of ram with a 4.3inch screen and a big battery, keyboard and gaming controls running linux. In the land of quad and octacore a15's and 2 gigs of ram, 1080p displays, ultrathin form factor and equal battery life all for same price range or cheaper it's a hard sell even for a niche. Tell yourself (or I guess you can tell me) whatever you want to counter that.. but brass facts don't lie.

I don't buy those overpriced ultrabooks or intel UMPCs regardless of how much I want one. It's just not worth it. I can't ever make it worth it in my head. I still want one very badly, but it's just never going to happen. It's not worth the price for admission.

Some people (the one's here on this board) will buy the pandora because they want it regardless of price, or bend the "value" to favor things to be worth more than they really are, or donating out of charity to a similar ideology they hold strong the their heart (my reason), or they're big into community development and projects or just whatever. These non-tangible things are the market for the pandora currently. And as ED and yourself have mentioned supply is less than the current demand. So there's "no problem" right? Lets just hope it holds out is all.

Just as people say things like the xbox one or PS4 or nvidia shield, ps vita, 3DS or whatever are "too expensive" you can't change those opinions, but far less percentage wise I hear saying those things are too expensive compared to the pandora. This forum is just where the supporters and the cult of the pandora kool-aid drinkers hang out at. Go stumble upon dingoonity the home of the "frugal" open gaming (gcw zero, and dingoo) and just mention the pandora once... they will paint you a colorful picture. That entire community is roughly the same size or bigger than this one would be on board with a cheaper pandora. But as it stands it's a surefire way to basically get your post ignored for even mentioning it's existence.

Unless ED were to put a price on the (completely fictional at this point) pandora 2, then I'm completely certain the price will only go up from even the most expensive pandora has ever been. Minimum $700 is my guess. And people will still justify the purchase... so will I.

Well, right now I've got the problem that the Pandoras sell faster than I can get them... and that's not just upgrades from Craigs orders.So the price can't be that bad ;)
That being the case, do you think it might make good financial sense to slightly lower the price but also increase production?

That being the case, do you think it might make good financial sense to slightly lower the price but also increase production?
That may make sense for consumers, but maybe not for ED because he probably can't take care of all shipments unless he duplicates himself.  

Well, right now I've got the problem that the Pandoras sell faster than I can get them... and that's not just upgrades from Craigs orders.So the price can't be that bad ;)
I guess that does not make sense for Ed as there won't be a endless supply of parts to build new Pandoras

Back