Getting Into Ds Homebrew.

DaveN

Digger
Website
Visit site
I'd like to get myself a good flashcard for the ds, I've already read some pages about the different methods on the market but I'm not quite sure which one is the best for me.

I'd like to:
- have a good and working way to transfer files from an ibook running mac os x 10.4
- be able to run most of the avaible homebrew

The best would be if it would read from an sd card.

Oh and my ds is from the 1st gen ( Model no. ntr-001 )

For maximum compatibility with NDS and GBA software I strongly recommend an M3 product (DO NOT get an M3 'Pro' or 'Professional' version as these cannot run GBA programs and many homebrew apps, too.) Supercards are OK as well, but they don't provide fast enough SD access for many GBA games to run correctly. M3 makes different kinds of adapters for SD/Mini/MicroSD.. if you want to use regular SD cards the unit will protrude from the DS. If you are OK with MicroSD there are smaller units (M3 Lite) that sit flush with the end of Slot 2 so they do not protrude.

You will, however, need to patch your NDS ROMs yourself since the M3 Game Manager software is apparently for Windows only.. I don't know of any flash devices with Mac-compatible software.

I'm not sure how WINE is running on the Intel Macs but you could try that for the M3 software. I didn't have any luck with it under Linux, though. It loaded up but as soon as I tried to get it to write to my CF card it would crash. You could always try it under Parallels or something.

you could get a ds-x if you dont care about gba, it dosnt require patching and acts as a mass storage, so thats probably the best option for non windows users.

Vimacs posted on Dec 3 2006 at 10:04 AM said:
you could get a ds-x if you dont care about gba, it dosnt require patching and acts as a mass storage, so thats probably the best option for non windows users.
Agreed, but it only has 512MB, unfortunately. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
The SuperCard software runs perfectly under WINE for Linux so long as you launch it from within the directory to which it is installed. Maybe that might help with the M3 software too?

if you get a supercard/m3 type device that uses sd/compact flash/minisd you can just get a card reader... or just get a ds-x (as said above)

The point of the software is that you need to patch most NDS ROMs before they'll run from the card. The program can write the files to the SD card or just to your HDD and you copy them directly. I am sure there is another program that can do the same patching job.

Back