Is the Oculus Rift doomed?

Cable and DSL are both borked right now in my area, so for today I'm working out at a coffee shop. They usually have free wifi with a webpage forced upon you ("the captive site" they call them) where you promise not to spy on everyone else, and good to go.

Well, I noticed today (last time was a few months ago) that its now "Facebook Wifi". w-t-h?! FB is into deals with wifi providers .. you're supposed to sign nito FB and get the free wifi, but there is a hidden 'skip login' option which seems to work sometimes. The Terms and Conditions are 'you don't spy on people, but we monitor you'. So.. FB creeping in more.

And now Rift.. Poor Carmack is all I can say.

So.. FB continues to creep. Screw you zuck.

jeff

edit: and looks like their proxy screws with the cookies and traffic, causing probelsm posting in the board and other sites..

32b4229145de0a2c1171b9b5757f25dfaa1bbf7b9be0b687be4dd5aec76a34d6.jpg

This may just send more core gamers and indie developers to sony's platform and their upcoming V.R tech.

I wonder " Virtualbook" you connect via facebook and can more directly interact with the other person. Simulated touch, sounds, vibrations etc.

A sort of interactive skype call.

A horrid idea I would say, if it happens, as real interaction face to face is vastly better.

real interaction face to face is vastly better.
A note that the same thing has been said about every form of communication developed. I have heard people legitimately complaining that e-mail is too fast and that waiting for the post was much better.

real interaction face to face is vastly better.
A note that the same thing has been said about every form of communication developed. I have heard people legitimately complaining that e-mail is too fast and that waiting for the post was much better.
I think his point is that we will become recluses if we don't go and meet real people.

-God Ginrai

these post-snowden days i'm *only* interested in community built/backed niche gear.

imho. *all* the large tech companys are subverted by governments to collect and analyse your private data.

they build hardware & software to steal something from you, your privacy.

i *really* hate this!

so these companies

will never ever get a cent from me again!

i think there is a hidden line, if you cross this line and get too big as a company, 'they' will get you and you can't say no, because you would cause a lot of trouble to the persons working for your company etc.

for me facebook is one of these really bad corps (also google, ms, apple etc. essentially all on these nsa prism-slides...)

because i dont believe that the nsa just hacked them.

i think there are laws that you have to be nsa-backdoored at default, and you will get big $$$ for this 'service'.

so it all comes down to power and money again, like always.

i feel betrayed from the governments, the telcos and the big hardware builders.

so... for me no rift from fb.

I think his point is that we will become recluses if we don't go and meet real people.
Again, the same thing has been said pretty much every time new communications technology comes along.But supposing it's true, suppose large portions of the population take to realistic online interaction. Would that really be so bad? Get a hug from your girl friend who is visiting her parents over seas; live meeting with investors from a foreign country where you can draw on a virtual white board and hand out digital samples of your product; play board games in your friends basement even though you're scattered, or maybe you're just sick.

Who decided that face-to-face interaction was the epitome of social interaction?

these post-snowden days i'm *only* interested in community built/backed niche gear.

imho. *all* the large tech companys are subverted by governments to collect and analyse your private data.

they build hardware & software to steal something from you, your privacy.

i *really* hate this!

so these companies

will never ever get a cent from me again!

i think there is a hidden line, if you cross this line and get too big as a company, 'they' will get you and you can't say no, because you would cause a lot of trouble to the persons working for your company etc.

for me facebook is one of these really bad corps (also google, ms, apple etc. essentially all on these nsa prism-slides...)

because i dont believe that the nsa just hacked them.

i think there are laws that you have to be nsa-backdoored at default, and you will get big $$$ for this 'service'.

so it all comes down to power and money again, like always.

i feel betrayed from the governments, the telcos and the big hardware builders.

so... for me no rift from fb.
What are you posting with right now?

Good luck out in the wilderness with your icebox for food and candle for light.

-God Ginrai
They might have tracking devices.
...and my pandora! :)
With what power?

Last edited by a moderator:
What are you posting with, right now?
with a tor'ized linux pc via a telco i dont trust. ;)
i really love the internet and technology, i only think these tools get abused *a lot* lately.

edit: with power, i didn't mean electricity. ;)

^ good example. It shows how scary it can be. Our thoughts will become a product : \

Facebook is a disease. They're selling you out. They sell everything they can get from you. Even when that information comes from a third party, like a family member, a friend, or someone who knows you. I have zero trust in Facebook. Why should I? They even analyse the suff your typing but never send - how sick is that????  -.-
Exactly.

I wouldn't abandon Oculus Rift just for beeing bought by Facebook but I'm pretty worried. Time will tell whether they manages to keep their values or not.
Palmer WILL be replaced at some point if he refuses to play by Facebooks dirty rules.

This may just send more core gamers and indie developers to sony's platform and their upcoming V.R tech.
[conspiracy theory] Maybe that's the whole point of the deal and Sony is behind it buying out their main competitor via backdoor. ;) [/conspiracy theory]

Back