Is Installing Ultima 7 On Linux Possible?

Sphinxter said:
I read the Exult docs, looked in the Ultima\ 7\ -\ The\ Black\ Gate.zip off abandonia and am a little stumped. Is it possible to unpack this without access to a windows/dos machine?
I'm not familiar with the game, but if you need to install it to get at the data files Exult wants, you could try installing it under DosBox.

Last edited by a moderator:

I read the Exult docs, looked in the Ultima\ 7\ -\ The\ Black\ Gate.zip off abandonia and am a little stumped. Is it possible to unpack this without access to a windows/dos machine?

I'm not familiar with the game, but if you need to install it to get at the data files Exult wants, you could try installing it under DosBox.

Wouldn't Sphinxter be better using DOSEmu rather than DOSBox, if on a linux machine?

namco said:
[Wouldn't Sphinxter be better using DOSEmu rather than DOSBox, if on a linux machine?
Not sure what you mean there, DOSBox is available for Linux... Unless you're implying DOSEmu is better, in which case I wouldn't know, I've never used it :)

namco said:
@fishybawb: Although I've never tried it myself (since it's supposed to be linux only) it appears to be faster/better than DOSBox.
Thanks for mentioning it then, I'll have to give it a try :)

Sphinxter: I can fire up my (ancient) Windoze box and extract the files for you if you're still having trouble.

you dont need to install the game at all, just read the readme. Just copy all of the game disc contents to the black gate directory and the addon to its named directory. Although the addon i got didnt work :(, main game works fine though.

Sphinxter said:
.my "source" is identical and i just unzipped straight into exult black gate directory.

Sphinxter said:
Emulating never occurred to me. (?) Will I need a licensed copy of DOS for that like vmware windows or what?
Linux can unpack zip archives, you can find many user friendly archives managers such as karchiver, file-roller or xarchiver.

The easiest way to run a DOS game is to use dosemu, if you prefer using a machine emulator such as vmware or qemu
and don't want to pay a Microsoft DOS license, there's Freedos.

tristar said:
you dont need to install the game at all, just read the readme. Just copy all of the game disc contents to the black gate directory and the addon to its named directory. Although the addon i got didnt work :(, main game works fine though.

Sphinxter said:
.my "source" is identical and i just unzipped straight into exult black gate directory.

Most excellent, I thought you had to install it first and then pick it apart or something, thanks.

Nah when you pirate things, they usually set it up so you just unpack them. Installing is for originals. Since you pirated it off abandonia, just unpack it.

Back