Release Pandora-Exult: Ultima Vii Game Engine V1.4 For Pandora

I just received my Pandora, and the first thing I went to try was Exult :)

Blackgate works fine. All of the soundpacks work fine, but SerpentIsle quits after that tiled blue screen is up for a few seconds. I have tried several versions of SI (from my original discs to the Ultima Collection CD). Has anyone seen this issue? I can't find a logfile that might give me some clues. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

JerryBlade said:
I just received my Pandora, and the first thing I went to try was Exult :)

Blackgate works fine. All of the soundpacks work fine, but SerpentIsle quits after that tiled blue screen is up for a few seconds. I have tried several versions of SI (from my original discs to the Ultima Collection CD). Has anyone seen this issue? I can't find a logfile that might give me some clues. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Logfile is in /tmp/pndrun_xxxxx

Last edited:
Thanks - I found the logfile!

Here is the error message - it is using the default keybindings so I don't know how that can be a problem.
Code:
Starting a SERPENT ISLE game
Game path settings:
Static  : gamedata/serpentisle/static
Gamedat : .//.exult/serpentisle/gamedat
Savegame: .//.exult/serpentisle
Patch   : gamedata/serpentisle/patch

Opening digital SFX's file: "sqsfxsi.flx"
Resetting AudioMixer...
played intro
Gamedat identity SILVER SEED
Reading usecode file.
Loading <DATA>/exult_si.flx...
Loading default keybindings
Failed to find Usecode symbol '.
Failed to find Usecode symbol '~'.
/usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh: line 31:  1828 Segmentation fault      LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/mnt/utmp/$PND_NAME" "./$EXENAME" $ARGUMENTS

any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
JerryBlade said:
Thanks - I found the logfile!

Here is the error message - it is using the default keybindings so I don't know how that can be a problem.
Code:
Starting a SERPENT ISLE game
Game path settings:
Static  : gamedata/serpentisle/static
Gamedat : .//.exult/serpentisle/gamedat
Savegame: .//.exult/serpentisle
Patch   : gamedata/serpentisle/patch

Opening digital SFX's file: "sqsfxsi.flx"
Resetting AudioMixer...
played intro
Gamedat identity SILVER SEED
Reading usecode file.
Loading <DATA>/exult_si.flx...
Loading default keybindings
Failed to find Usecode symbol '.
Failed to find Usecode symbol '~'.
/usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh: line 31:  1828 Segmentation fault      LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/mnt/utmp/$PND_NAME" "./$EXENAME" $ARGUMENTS

any ideas?

"Segmentation fault" is basically the OS flipping you off, so further debugging is needed :p

EDIT: Unless of course the usecode symbols that fails to load are linked to the crash, then somebody might actually know.

Ok - after some random experimenting... I found a solution. If you run SI *before* BG, then it works with no error message. As a side effect, SI ends up on the top-left and BG ends up on the top-right in the selection menu. After that, everything seems to work fine. There must be some dependency that it pulls from BG which causes a conflict, but it pulls it directly from SI if you load it first. *boggle*

Can someone please post their config file for Exult? I am unable to get sound for Serpent Isle. The games play fine, and I have sounds in Black Gate - but there's a speaker icon with a red slash on it for Serpent Isle. I've downloaded the sound effects files, but for some reason, Exult is not finding SI's files.

<game>
<blackgate>
<waves>
jmsfx.flx
</waves>
<keys>
(default)
</keys>
</blackgate>
<serpentisle>
<waves>
jmsfxsi.flx
</waves>
<keys>
(default)
</keys>
</serpentisle>
</game>

Blue Protoman said:
How does running at 800x480 spoil things, anyway? Can someone elaborate?

I have no idea. Perhaps wearing glasses and/or contact lenses should also be considered cheating. When I wear mine I'm able to see lots of stuff I can't see without them.

Blue Protoman said:
How does running at 800x480 spoil things, anyway? Can someone elaborate?

The idea is that by running at larger than 320x240 resolution (the original game resolution), you can see and target many things that were not originally intended. Personally, I consider it minor, but it is kind of fun to be able to see MUCH more of certain castles and dungeons than you should be able to :)

Back