Is Everything On Track For Early April Production?

Despellanion said:
If it's just a driver related issue then I would definitely like to have my Pandora shipped now as I am among the first 1000 orders.

That's the point - they don't know what the issue is, except that it doesn't work well. Possibly not well enough to surf.

torpor said:
Send me the two Pandora's I've ordered, and I will dedicate 40 hours working on this WLAN issue for free. EDIT: Just FYI, I am employed at THALES corporation as an embedded systems/firmware engineer, and I write drivers just like this for a living. If there is a driver issue, I will fix it. If its hardware, I will use all my resources (faraday cage, logic analyzer, WLAN radio receivers, etc.) to determine just what the hardware is doing and why its causing problems.

You can't really say fairer than that, can you?

If I were a member of OpenPandora I'd do my best to overnight a Pandopra to torpor, regardless of his order number. If he CAN fix it, or identify the hardware problem, that would be GREAT and probably a lot cheaper than 1000 WiFi "dongles".

torpor:- Just a quick query, since we know how Craig types... would that be 40 hours over a weekend, a week, a month, a year? 40 hours at five minutes a day would be torture... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
torpor said:
<br />Send me the two Pandora's I've ordered, and I will dedicate 40 hours working on this WLAN issue for free.  EDIT: Just FYI, I am employed at THALES corporation as an embedded systems/firmware engineer, and I write drivers just like this for a living.  If there is a driver issue, I will fix it.  If its hardware, I will use all my resources (faraday cage, logic analyzer, WLAN radio receivers, etc.) to determine just what the hardware is doing and why its causing problems.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I would check the credentials of torpor and if they are ok I would send him 1 Pandora.

Forget this "check torper's credentials" nonsense, his posting history on the boards is a better voucher than what some (alleged) company will say about him. All we care about is whether or not he's lying. Just send him the Pandora, you won't get a lot of other people able to dedicate that kind of a chunk of time on this.

I personally would need wifi, but could live with the small dongle (until hopefully fixed)
My primary usage isn't gaming, I'm just hoping it will get me back into doing some that's all.

Exophase said:
Forget this "check torper's credentials" nonsense, his posting history on the boards is a better voucher than what some (alleged) company will say about him. All we care about is whether or not he's lying. Just send him the Pandora, you won't get a lot of other people able to dedicate that kind of a chunk of time on this.

+100000000000 , if he offers 40 hours of time with his background, send him now any pandora you can get your hands on and then send him the 2 he orderd as first of the batch. Don't care. Make him happy. Put flowers on top of them. Add candy. drive to vienna and deliver it on a golden plate... Pay for delivery with a chick in a cake...

aldo I feel a thread coming up with a poll about "do we give Torper a pandora" or something silly in the line.

I don't know much about the OMAP itself but the SDIO 'wires' are the same as for SPI (Well, atleast for SD cards) So if things can be reconfigured from software to the SDIO pins for SPI, hardware revision wouldn't be needed. Though this is assuming the pins can be assigned in the OMAP.

Polossatik said:
Exophase said:

+100000000000 , if he offers 40 hours of time with his background, send him now any pandora you can get your hands on and then send him the 2 he orderd as first of the batch. Don't care. Make him happy. Put flowers on top of them. Add candy. drive to vienna and deliver it on a golden plate... Pay for delivery with a chick in a cake...

aldo I feel a thread coming up with a poll about "do we give Torper a pandora" or something silly in the line.

Why send only a Pandora or two, take an Advice from Nintendo and include a 1.5 meter sandwich to keep him fuelled for these 40 hour's of labour and happiness with his brand new Pandora.

Gusarapo said:
torpor said:
<br />Send me the two Pandora's I've ordered, and I will dedicate 40 hours working on this WLAN issue for free.  EDIT: Just FYI, I am employed at THALES corporation as an embedded systems/firmware engineer, and I write drivers just like this for a living.  If there is a driver issue, I will fix it.  If its hardware, I will use all my resources (faraday cage, logic analyzer, WLAN radio receivers, etc.) to determine just what the hardware is doing and why its causing problems.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I would check the credentials of torpor and if they are ok I would send him 1 Pandora.

*RING RING* *RING RING*

Hello, THALES corporation?

Yes, hello.

Oh, no, I don't need any aerospace electronics, I just want to ask you about one of your employees.

No, I'm not a cop. I just need some information on an employee of yours named Torpor.

T-O-R-P-O-R, Torpor.

Well, maybe that's not the name he uses at work. Anyway, I'd like to know what sort of diagnostic equipment he has access to.

Yea, that's right, oscilloscopes and logic probes and stuff.

No, no, You misunderstand, You see, Torpor has volunteered to use your company's resources to debug our portable computer.

No, "Volunteered", you know, like, for free.

Yea, he'll be using your equipment. That's why I'm calling, I want to make sure that you've got all that equipment for him to use.

What do you mean he doesn't work for you anymore?

Wow - and here all I had in mind was for someone to call him and make sure he's not some 10 year old kid just trying to jump to the top of the line.

If you guys already know him and that he's legit - get it sent. Offers like that one don't grow on trees.

this [getting Torpor a unit asap] does indeed sound like the best thing OP can do right now, it certainly cant be any harm, can it?

never know he might just crack it in those hours, or if not might be able to point you [OP Team] in the right direction to continue looking in

[VRAndy... that conversation post was jokes! :)]

Exophase said:
+many more, he's well enough known on these boards to be trusted 99.99% ;)

VRAndy said:
Without Wifi the Pandora's gaming functionality remains in place, but many of its other potential uses fall away. A Wifi dongle is an acceptable stop-gap,(I believe I've said so in the past.), but it does impinge on the thing's pocket-ability, so it'd be sad if this was a long-term fix.

No, it's definately not a long-term fix. We'll continue to work on it until it really works, don't worry!
And we also try to get the smallest USB-WiFi-Dongle around there, so that there won't stick a 10cm dongle including a big antenna out of the unit!

Last edited:
Good idea, it would suck to have to ship (let alone carry) one of these dongles.
satellite-dish.jpg

Oh wait. You said WiFi. I thought you said "Sci-Fi"

Attachments

• satellite-dish.jpg
    satellite-dish.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 74
Mithrildor said:
1. How is Openpandora going to pay for 4000x 150e ( I dunno the exact price, it might be more) for each new board? Or do you have to wait a year for a new board if it seems to be a hw issue

If it turns out to be a hardware thing, it could be that only a resistor or capacitor needs to be changed. The GP2X First Edition had the same problem - I remember fixing 200 a few months after delivery...

If the board REALLY needs to be exchanged, you don't need to calculate the full costs - because there might also be people who would love to get a board without working WiFi for a few bucks less. So all we need would be the money to compensate that.

2. What is the chance of this being a hw issue (cause everything seems to be working from here as someone who reads the boards, but it seems to be working just not good enough.

Hard to tell, it's similar to playing lottery. We're doing all we can to find this out right now. Michael bought more equipment to do some more in-depth measurements and he also asked the module manufacturer if they have any idea.
We'll let you know as soon as we get more information about it.

3. Do you promise youll give us a new board?

Well, a hard thing to promise :)
If we all die because of a heart attack before that, we can't do that. If everyone cancels from one day to the next it might also be hard for us coughing up the money to do that.
You can be sure if it's somehow possible for use, yes, we'll do that.
It might take a bit until we sold enough units to cover all the costs (we're not Sony, you know), but as said above, if [I'm stupid spammer] the non-WiFi-Units a bit cheaper, it shouldn't be too much.
Fingers crossed it's not necessary at all, for sure!

4. Cant you make a small setup to test if its a hw issue or sw issue?

I think that's what Michael is planning to do - but the board needs a bit of a change for that, so it needs a few weeks until he can do so.
Until then, we don't want to stop delivery... would be wasted time if it's really just a software issue, and as you can see by the responses and polls, there are quite a few people who are fine with that solution. Ship, find out what's the cause and fix it.

Alerino said:
BLOG POST!!!!
To ease our spirits! :lol:

At the moment, I couldn't tell you more than I could tell here.
We're discussing about how exactly we'll manage everything and finding out how quick we can now get all the produced boards and cases to UK (yes, we stopped the shipment of the boards because of WiFi - Michael first wanted to check once more if there is something wrong with the hardware and maybe find a very simple fix they could apply before shipping).
But as we're not sure yet what's causing it, no need to hold back and keep you waiting anymore. We're now trying to get the stuff as quickly to UK as possible so you can start playing - and fix it if it's really broken.

Last edited:
x68000 said:
As long as i can play some games, the dongle can go emulate
As long as I can play Amiga games everywhere, Pandora is for me!

Back