Internet Speeds

(naw)mcx posted on Dec 3 2008 at 05:06 PM said:
Ravnos said:
I can't remember what my speed is supposed to be through Shaw, but I can get between 500 and 700 KB/sec most of the time. The exception there is with Bittorrent, which regularly sits at around 20KB/sec no matter what I do.

Work has a 3.5Mb E10 and that is pretty consistent as a whole, but since it gets spread among all the guests and employees, per user it can get pretty slow depending on how busy the hotel is. I'd love to upgrade it, but I just don't have the budget.
20KB/s on bit torrent? Ouch!

On my I get upto about 800KB/s on torrents, make sure the correct ports are forwarded, and don't use shit torrents.

But I'm sure you know that ;)

I've covered all the bases.

Last edited by a moderator:
Titcher said:
366164202.png

Virgin Media 20 megabit, to read those emails at blistering speeds of course.

Thats impressive! If you don't mind me asking, what do you pay?

I'm with BeThere ADSL2 and for £18 a month I get fixed IP plus theoretical 24Mb/s but actually see a very consistent 10Mb/s download and 1Mb/s upload.

I don't think I can actually get Virgin in my area, but at that speed its worth investigating (although Be are fantastic... certainly in comparison to Orange who I was with before who are absolutely useless).

andyB911 said:
Thats impressive! If you don't mind me asking, what do you pay?

I'm with BeThere ADSL2 and for £18 a month I get fixed IP plus theoretical 24Mb/s but actually see a very consistent 10Mb/s download and 1Mb/s upload.

I don't think I can actually get Virgin in my area, but at that speed its worth investigating (although Be are fantastic... certainly in comparison to Orange who I was with before who are absolutely useless).
I pay a lot to get these speeds, I get it as a part of a bundle with the TV and phone I think. With top everything the bill comes to around £70 a month. But, new subscribers get great deals on this stuff, right now they're offering it for £10 a month, if you take a phone line too, with the phone line being £11 a month. If you speak with them on the phone they can normally get some nice deals lined up for you.

Oh I'll join into the Penis Comparison Thread... :)

I have a 10Mbps/1Mbps connection from Shaw Cable in Canada.

That UK Server:
Ping 297ms Download 4487 kbps Upload 665 kbps

Local Vancouver, Canada server using Speedtest.net:
Ping 18ms Download 27189 kbps upload 759 kbps

That 27189 isn't exactly fair... Shaw Cable here in Canada has something called "SpeedBoost", where download speeds for the first 10 seconds or so are doubled (or more, apparently). Great for speed tests, not useful for much else.

*nods to penis references*

I'm on a 8/1 for 34€ month. I'm constantly wondering about fiber, as in when they'll pull some over here. 100/10 would sweet, esp. upload speed (I run a webserver from home, which while small, doesn't like spikes in other upload usage). Recently I noticed that I could get a cable modem for 110/5 for 55€ or so, which might be a upgrade solution in the near future. Anyway, 8/1 currently and as you might figure from my rant, it's getting a bit small.

24mb download 1.3mb upload

Be Unlimited

i pay £18 a month and ontop of sharing the connection with all the other lappies,gadgets and gizmos which litter this house, i am told by BT that i simply have a bad copper line and just have to live with it. All this results in an effective:

1.4mb download and 650kb upload ¬¬

But speedtest sites rate my speeds at 16mbps with 6mb upload :huh: once i got 5mbps download and 28mbps upload .. it makes you wonder if these speedtest's are for real or if they are only after hits for their ads. Maybe i dont know what im talking about :X i have no clue how they test the connection and get those strange speeds.

I planned on switching to Virgin media after i saw a colleague of mine was getting effective speeds of 7mbps and he only lives 5 minutes away from me. Then Virgin decided that they didn't care about net neutrality, And after that the whole partnership with the entertainment business to monitor every user in a bid to get rid of piracy.:blink: no thanks i dont like people spying on me, Why do you think i switched to Linux.. so now im stuck with shitty speeds on a some brass from 30 years ago.

Hopefully ill be able to play some Pandora games with you guys without any lagg :D

Soz for the rant im tired.
-Ryu

Ryuu said:
24mb download 1.3mb upload

Be Unlimited

i pay £18 a month and ontop of sharing the connection with all the other lappies,gadgets and gizmos which litter this house, i am told by BT that i simply have a bad copper line and just have to live with it. All this results in an effective:

1.4mb download and 650kb upload ¬¬

But speedtest sites rate my speeds at 16mbps with 6mb upload :huh: once i got 5mbps download and 28mbps upload .. it makes you wonder if these speedtest's are for real or if they are only after hits for their ads. Maybe i dont know what im talking about :X i have no clue how they test the connection and get those strange speeds.

You are probably right. You are likely confusing MB and Mb. You are meant to have upto 24 Mbps which is actually 3MBps. That makes 1.4MBps seem less terrible and makes your speedtest results make perfect sense. Yes the capitalisation matters (in particular the M is always a capital as it stands for the Mega prefix).

My room:
367443936.png

My internet speed results are:
Download speed:3.400Mbps
Upload speed :2.32Mbps
I checked my internet connection speed at *redacted*.

Back