Instant Pandora with a premium?

I was a little miffed when I read this on Engadget a few hours ago. But I can understand the project needs to proceed and I need my Pandora (been waiting since Oct. 1st 2008 for it). How many premium pandoras are we talking about?

Currently undisclosed. but Craig said earlier that he would close orders if the number got out of hand.

I hope he's not too late with doing that. It'd be pretty terrible to learn that there are say, one or two thousand orders for premium units overnight. That would be pretty nasty to deal with. I'd like to know how many have ordered so far. If it's over a few hundred it'd be time to close it down for a bit.

First batch delay?

Sept. 30th 2008 8:30 pm UTC is the last date I have seen involving order time / shipping email confirmation. It will be interesting to see what kind of lag we will see in shipping conformation emails. I bet it will be a week before we see any shipping confirmations from any first batchers. I hoping no delays, really hoping..

I didn't get that impression from reading the thread. From what I gather extra money = extra hands = faster production taking in account of the premium pandys

Depends on how many orders they get for the 7 day pandoras, there may be an initial lag. 7 days is not a long time, and i feel there will be more than a few preorders jumping a head. Plus when will the extra help arrive? People do have lives, so it may take awhile to get the line staffed. Also if they temporary fill the staffing gap we may have quality issues..

i was concerned about the staffing issue too, luckily i was one of the first to see the thread and managed to get a reply from craig which did kind of make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside

wouldnt hiring 3 NEW people end up messing up a few pandoras due to training and general mistakes? i ask because my business goes through about 30 people a year and honestly most people just dont take their jobs seriously, i would prefer if these people understood that i dont want a broken or shoddy pandora, not to mention it might cost more in rma's

No, because 2 of them have already helped in the past and the jobs we give them are not technical rather just time consuming (putting the hinges in and the keymats adds on so much time but is dead simple work).

The main part, the LCD cable, the wifi and the testing will still be done by me.

The last month has been going at a million miles an hour for the team and we want to keep it going, it seems now we're in to a routine things are going really well and we can make them go faster and smoother yet.
i was just remembering some of the first production pandoras, glad to hear they have a good system down. but on another note, o just went to the order 7 day pandora and it seemed like i could still order one. That scares me a little, w many people are still ordering. Im a first batcher Oct 1..

Just to make everyone really happy, especially those worried about the premium pandys generating more delay... I've passed on the sales link to everyone I know who is interested in getting one, especially those who would love to get it before me :) . I've also passed it to the games course which also teach on some gp2x!

I'd be interested to know how many people ordered out of this, if you'd be able to find out without too much hassle.

I have also emailed sales and asked them to cancel my original (late batch-1, 30 December 2009) pre-order, as I won't need both.
Isn't that a bad idea? If you have the extra cash to spend, buy both and sell the "cheap" one on eBay. As $500 is the new price tag you can get $470 for it without a problem. I thought about that as I paid "only" 250 EURO, ED said he offers these premium units in his shop later. Then I will consider doing exactly that.

Seems like a lot of people are concerned about the exclusivity of their precious pandora :lol: Oh noes other people will also get one!
Yes, that would explain why people don't seem to understand the process. It also explains why people want to upgrade to the 'premium price pandora' in the hope that it will some how be more exciting than the base model.

The pre-order first batch are the special ones. The new price premium delivery ones are the standard ones. Demand for these is so high that there is no need to make them more shiny.

Craig did say yesterday that he will be trying to expand the production team from Monday. That should help with the immediate progress.

The thread of most recent delivery does depend on people posting that information - I think it is currently quite a sparse sample.

This is simple math!

Don't know about salaries and taxes in UK but here in Sweden $150 USD would be enough to hire someone to work for about 4-5 hours minimal wage. According to Craig hiring 2 more employees the assembly doubles (going from 50 to 100 a day IIRC), that's what you get for selling 4 premium Pandoras a day. So you get 50 exta units by selling 4. This means they can basically sell 50 premium units a day without slowing down the preorder units.

I was a little miffed when I read this on Engadget a few hours ago. But I can understand the project needs to proceed and I need my Pandora (been waiting since Oct. 1st 2008 for it). How many premium pandoras are we talking about?

Currently undisclosed. but Craig said earlier that he would close orders if the number got out of hand.

I hope he's not too late with doing that. It'd be pretty terrible to learn that there are say, one or two thousand orders for premium units overnight. That would be pretty nasty to deal with. I'd like to know how many have ordered so far. If it's over a few hundred it'd be time to close it down for a bit.
I think Craig's set it up so that there is a certain number built into the page, and after that it will display 'out of stock' automatically - or something similar.

I think Craig's set it up so that there is a certain number built into the page, and after that it will display 'out of stock' automatically - or something similar.

That makes sense. I hope he did something like this and didn't overlook how lifesaving a feature like this would be.

I think i do understand the whole thing now, thangs for the explain

As i have to wait, until EvilDragon gets 200 Pandoras, i only have to wait 2 Weeks instet of 4..

Thats a good thing, but sounds a bit bad the first time..

But how can Craigix Build the Premium Pandorae in 7 Days?

This would mean: 500 Pandora per Week, + X Premium Pandorae...

Last edited by a moderator:
I think i do understand the whole thing now, thangs for the explain

As i have to wait, until EvilDragon gets 200 Pandoras, i only have to wait 2 Weeks instet of 4..

Thats a good thing, but sounds a bit bad the first time..

But how can Craigix Build the Premium Pandorae in 7 Days?

This would mean: 500 Pandora per Week, + X Premium Pandorae...

I'll let craigs earlier post explain.

I should expand on this:

We have discovered that 5 people can build 70 units more than twice as fast as 3 people.

This is due to the effect of a production line rather than each person doing several jobs.

So if we have 5 people rather than the current 3, we can produce 150+ units/day rather than the current ~70.

This means although we're selling more we are building more again.

I know it sounds strange but I've spent the last month working on this puzzle and this is the solution.

And what happens if you sell more than 1000 7-dayers?
I'll answer that. They will make mass suicide.

Or if OPT earn even more in shorter time, I think they couldn't stand it and just explode same second.

BEWARE! Do not sell too much, it is the 1st rule of success... or you're become filthy rich and be unhappy to rest of your life.

I'd be interested to know how many people ordered out of this, if you'd be able to find out without too much hassle.

*cough* me *cough* and still waiting for my batch 1 ;)

But if my buds or work buys any I'll post the numbers :D

There seems to be some bashing of first batchers that have been expressing distaste to having others get their units first. I think it is very important that anyone with this mindset take a step back and look at their situation with unbiased eyes.

I believe that the main reason is that the first batch orders are the reason that this project was able to become a reality, and everyone willingly entered into a long waiting period to see the project succeed. Now what we see is a new situation occurring, where there is a necessity for new/original people willing to pay more to step forward to save the project, only these people will walk away with their units immediately. Is it not easy to see why this may sting a little for some?

Now, you may want to ridicule the reactions of some of us, but I do think that the first batchers deserve more respect than they are getting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Holy shit, he's(/she's) right, it's on engadget! http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/27/openpandora-begins-private-sales-fast-track-your-open-source/.

!SELLOUT!.

I kinda hope most of the people who buy from this are queue virgins - people that weren't in a queue. This means there are less cancellation problems (like people requesting a refund so they can buy the 7-day pandora - can be an issue since OPT doesn't have the money anymore. Don't you dare use *money* from batch2. Profit, maybe - but not the actual cost money - that's dangerous and would quite piss me off). And I really do hope there aren't any people buying these that were in the queue, made a huge "screw this" post, and cancelled. Because that's just lame.

Is it not easy to see why this may sting a little for some?
I think most of the posters here have realised why these people are upset, and most of them feel the same wawy to some extent (myself included), however I believe the reason there are so many people saying 'go for it' is that they are reasoning they will have their units sooner than they would have done anyways.

Now, you may want to ridicule the reactions of some of us, but I do think that the first batchers deserve more respect than they are getting.

First batcher here, and it isn't easy to see the reason for the sting. I need to squeeze the muscles in my face until my eyes water and still nope...

Respect??? If you have been hacking the kernel|os, or making apps to give the community a better experience then yes you have my respect.

First batcher here, and it isn't easy to see the reason for the sting. I need to squeeze the muscles in my face until my eyes water and still nope...

Respect??? If you have been hacking the kernel|os, or making apps to give the community a better experience then yes you have my respect.

Have you done any of those things that you just said?

Have you done any of those things that you just said?

I'm not after respect *ting*, especially from making a personal purchase.

Personally I'm no hacker, I don't have the interest or skills for it. But I can say when it comes to FOSS then rolling out hundreds of linux desktops, introducing the first linux production servers to my company (in 97) all generating revenue for their prospective companies. Then yes I've been a little involved. Also got a 160K GBP linux HPC under my belt ;)

Currently we are working with our academics to move away from proprietary apps such as Photoshop, Pro Tools and move to opensource solutions and teach good fundamental transferable skills rather then click function a and b.

I registered to express my frustration in this. I preorder and now someone who pays a higher rate can now just jump anyone that is waiting in the que to receive their pandora. I am going to think this over tonight but am strongly siding towards canceling because of this.
Great for you... but why are you trolling here? Just do it, ok? The whole point is (again):

1) to speed things up,

2) to get more money for project.

Why is this so difficult to understand?

I ordered a pandora, extra battery, case, and tv out cables. It is nearly $500 at the time of purchase. I've dealt with lack of updates, time, and everything else. But I think someone coming in and paying the amount I did without the add ons this late in the game to just bypass the waiting period is unreasonable. Someone who has waited with all of us wants to pay $100 to move up fine, but just a new random order?
You get your very own 1st batch Pandora; nobody could/would steal that. And do you mean this few weeks sooner or later, after all those months, will make difference? Poor you. OK, let's stop production, so that you have one lost product without support and community... is it really what you want?

Or you are just jealous that some kid will have it's own gadget when you do? You're 1st batcher, your Pandora worth more, will worth more; and if OPT sell ten thousands this year, it will worth even more.

Is it about price? OK, I am for that. Let's raise it for Premium ones: it will go up anyway!

The fear is (...)
Exactly, you're right. It is all about fear. It is called FUD, and it is proven technique to kick somebody under the table. Let's not talk about fear: if you're frighten and can't stand it anymore, please don't post it here, just cancel your order. Good for the rest, and there will be plenty of others to buy it instead, even those *naughty* Premium buyers.

This is simple math!

Don't know about salaries and taxes in UK but here in Sweden $150 USD would be enough to hire someone to work for about 4-5 hours minimal wage. According to Craig hiring 2 more employees the assembly doubles (going from 50 to 100 a day IIRC), that's what you get for selling 4 premium Pandoras a day. So you get 50 exta units by selling 4. This means they can basically sell 50 premium units a day without slowing down the preorder units.
Thank you for some clever mind in all this mess.

Back