Instant Pandora with a premium?

500$ seems feasible if you market it as a special edition Pandora.

A different case color is already sufficient to justify it as such a unit.

Craig - pricing decisions are completely your prerogative. If it is not economical for the project to survive at the $350 pre-order price then please be sensible and stop selling batch 2 pre-orders at that price. I appreciate the absolute hell you guys have been through getting to this stage, and I can understand the need to adapt your business model as you learn from experience. The easiest mistake to make in business is to buy sales through dropping prices - as the sales manager at my work says "Any idiot can give stuff away" - the key to survival is to protect margins as they are the only way you can stay in business. Ebay prices clearly indicate there is a market for the pandora at the $500 mark so I say go for it. As a pre-orderer I appreciate being consulted, but I think that given you are honouring all existing orders and warranty issues I cannot feel hard done by if you implement this sensible change.

I don't think I would personally buy a $500 unit - mostly because I predict that my unit is 1-3 weeks away at the moment.

However I am considering using the paypal button on your site when I get my unit if I feel that I have underpaid for what gets delivered.

I find it hard to be comfortable seeing others take a loss when paying a bit more would cause me no pain.

Last edited by a moderator:
wouldnt hiring 3 NEW people end up messing up a few pandoras due to training and general mistakes? i ask because my business goes through about 30 people a year and honestly most people just dont take their jobs seriously, i would prefer if these people understood that i dont want a broken or shoddy pandora, not to mention it might cost more in rma's

Having bought early on for a batch 1, I wouldn't have joined in back then if I knew you could cut in line for a price. But then, I don't think we would have known if it would speed things up back then. I can't speak for those from batch 2, but knowing it would speed things up a fair bit I would be fine with it now.

Side note, I've also debated selling my Pandora. I know that I loved the time I had with mine, but when that replacement arrives I could certainly use the cash and have come to view the Android phones as comparable for everything aside from gaming (which is my main interest).

Is the flow of parts (boards and cases... whatever) fast enough to build more pandoras (with more workers) in same time, compared to now ?!?

If not, it would slow down other orders.

As long it is a hand-full pandoras that are taken by left 2nd batch orders... I could wait one week longer then now.

---- no Risc, no Fun

---- ct.ger proofed Acorn Apologet

I'd say the sooner the better. I'm not sure if you care about 'bad press' that you may or may not see from this, but there's not much you can do to help that, really.

Frankly I don't see how this could generate any negative press at all. Technically the Pandora would have two editions: the regular pre-order version and a limited edition version. Obviously there's be a price difference. I guess releasing some sort of announcement once this gets rolling would be the the thing to do, if only to explain the price difference between the two unit types. After a few months and once Batch one and two are shipped, just raise the price again on a third batch.

I would like to see a poll or something to see what the most popular color types would be for the Pandora (assuming you decide to paint these units) in an attempt to hopefully make it less of a hassle to get them painted.

I would also like a special invoice to go with my special Pandora, autographed by the entire OpenPandora Team. :p

EditAn extended warranty for these units might not be too bad of an idea either, but that might be stretching it cost-wise.

wouldnt hiring 3 NEW people end up messing up a few pandoras due to training and general mistakes? i ask because my business goes through about 30 people a year and honestly most people just dont take their jobs seriously, i would prefer if these people understood that i dont want a broken or shoddy pandora, not to mention it might cost more in rma's

No, because 2 of them have already helped in the past and the jobs we give them are not technical rather just time consuming (putting the hinges in and the keymats adds on so much time but is dead simple work).

The main part, the LCD cable, the wifi and the testing will still be done by me.

The last month has been going at a million miles an hour for the team and we want to keep it going, it seems now we're in to a routine things are going really well and we can make them go faster and smoother yet.

I think this is a good idea. The concern about getting pushed back in the queue is is valid, but probably not significant - it seems unlikely that many pre-orderers will opt to jump the the queue by a couple of weeks, and even if 50 people order in the next 2 weeks, that is quite a small proportion of the number of units which should be built in that time (over 500?) That easily adds the manpower to build an extra 20% provided the parts flow is understood.

It also adds value to anyone with a pre-order who is wondering about getting a refund now - they have a better chance of making a profit by waiting a little and ebaying later.

Customising - not sure if this is important for further orders or not. Not something which would excite me too much.

In my opinion you can even set a 600$ price for instant-pandoras. I'm perfectly okay with the idea. Just mark them as "hippster-edition" so all these iphone-users won't come and make fun of us waiting folks :)

Whatever makes the project more viable, you must do. End of discussion.

You do have a pretty insanely dedicated group of customers, but you also have real momentum now for the first time in ages and you need to maximize that for as long as possible.

In my opinion you can even set a 600$ price for instant-pandoras. I'm perfectly okay with the idea. Just mark them as "hippster-edition" so all these iphone-users won't come and make fun of us waiting folks :)

Hell, we don't need to even go that far. Just paint some kind of fruit onto the lid and triple the current price. Paint it white, too.

This is a great idea.

As long as the bare boards are coming in faster than you can currently make completed Pandoras with 3 people.

Then selling the "extra" you make by having 5 people at a profit can only speed up the pre-orders.

At worst the pre-order delivery rate will stay the same.

The bonus is that you can start making a profit and be around for the Pandora2 or cube :)

Dollars are confusing!

I paid £273.40 for my Pandora.

1) What is the difference between that price, and the price you *should* have sold it at?

2) Can I pay this difference to get my hands on it in 7 days?

So the other option is to sell them all at the normal price and finish at the end of batch 2? Hm.

How much demand is there for Pandora's? I would expect the Pandora is becoming increasingly less desirable, what with all these new tablets and gaming consoles and ever more powerful netbooks. Before deciding to continue the project and build more shouldn't you make sure people still want to buy them?

Someone said, similar devices are atarting about 500$...

Is Pandora same quality (speaking case and Software)... and aren't this devices mobiles ? (I guess mobile makes the thing lot more idfficult and expensive).

--- beware... I'm ARMed

So the other option is to sell them all at the normal price and finish at the end of batch 2? Hm.

How much demand is there for Pandora's? I would expect the Pandora is becoming increasingly less desirable, what with all these new tablets and gaming consoles and ever more powerful netbooks. Before deciding to continue the project and build more shouldn't you make sure people still want to buy them?

We believe so. There isn't anything else like the Pandora on the market.

Note: I'm waiting for my Pandora. I have been for 2 years and love this project. HOWEVER:

I *personally* think this idea is ridiculous and am completely baffled why people would agree to such nonsense. I'm sorry, it was announced at $330 USD and although I know this is not your standard company, but that doesn't matter, it's still a company. Even if my close friend was in the same position Craig was I'd still be peeved. To put things in perspective I'm going to be getting mine with the next shipment. This doesn't even affect me. It just frustrates me how ridiculous this whole process has been. I understand that sooo many things came out of the blue that were nobodies fault, but that just means the arrogance existed in the first place that nothing wrong would happen. I think it's insane to charge $500 USD for a device that was supposed to be $330, it's unprofessional and silly.

Again, this doesn't affect me. I might not be the best judge. I've had my money invested for over 2 years and have no intention of backing out. I just think this is an unacceptable combination of unprofessionalism and... well.. weirdness. Please don't take this the wrong way guys.

If you think you can survive the mass cancellation and refund requests this will no doubt bring on, go for it.

I for one will cancel and request a refund as soon as this goes live and I am sure I am not the only one.

Back