Initial Load And Splash Screens

CyberAxe

anyone know if the 2 screens you see at the start the initial boot and the OS splash screen are built into the OS itself or are they editable for i'd like to change them and haven't been able to find them by browsing via bash

They appear before the file system is initialised, so I'd say the first is integrated into u-boot, and the second is in the kernel.

DID HE SAY SOURCE CODE!!!!!! :)

When we get the source to the kernel it will be easy to add our own splash screens. Maybe even Animated ones. B)

I believe it's in my contract that I have to post in any thread that uses the words "source code" "GPL" and "release".

So umm yep...

lucoxade posted on Feb 15 2006 at 12:47 PM said:
Is it true that GPL stands for Game Park Leechers?

It very well might.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know about anyone else but instead of a boring graphic on bootup , I would love to see sexy linux boot sequence text . Complete with that litttle penguin in the corner .

I dont know but for every device i have put linux n that really makes it official . Otherwise it is just images :(

linux-boot.jpg

Aimless_E posted on Feb 15 2006 at 11:34 AM said:
DID HE SAY SOURCE CODE!!!!!! :)

When we get the source to the kernel it will be easy to add our own splash screens. Maybe even Animated ones. B)

Our own splash screens - - - yup
Animated - - - pie in the sky, must be bitmap, run-length encoded, maximum 225 colors.
Initial frame buffer is 256 color only, could be improved with dithering

Squidge posted on Feb 15 2006 at 01:28 PM said:
Wasn't that three letter word proscribed by the prophet Anna? :D

Any one out there know why standard input/output isn't the LCD?

i like the second loading screen (green one) it looks nice, but the first one is really ugly and makes the screen flicker feel much worse
why doesnt gph open the source of their loader so any dev can see why the hell it takes half a minute to load? linux on a 200mhz processor shouldnt take that long (considering you are not loading linux for pc usage, you are using minimal functions on the loader we have now!)

thelamer posted on Feb 15 2006 at 07:04 PM said:
I don't know about anyone else but instead of a boring graphic on bootup , I would love to see sexy linux boot sequence text . Complete with that litttle penguin in the corner .

I dont know but for every device i have put linux n that really makes it official . Otherwise it is just images :(

linux-boot.jpg

More than that, it would help to identify when your gp2x has decided to hang at boot.

Yeah, bring back the text I say.

Something animated would definitely be useful to see if the thing has crashed while booting... but I don't really care for the Linux bootup messages.

It's most likely because redirecting input/output to the serial port is far easier than writing it to the LCD, and most people would just get confused if they saw it anyway.

Back