I'm Sad

WarmFluffyUK posted on Oct 13 2004 at 05:59 PM said:
The reason pixels get "lost" is because of the technology. These are TFT screens (Thin Film Transistor) and the technology behind making them is still, believe it or not, in its infancy. Behind each single pixel, are 3 thin transistors, each governing the Red Green And Blue colours, if any one of these fail, then you will get a bright pixel in front of your nose.

The thing is, it's kinda difficult to make these screens, that's why good quality TFT screens are still quite expensive. There's only a few factories on the planet producing the actual screens. The more expensive Manufacturers (i.e. Sony) buy the better resulting screens, while the cheaper companies  buy the ones which will probably have more possible dead pixels.

We at our University deal in a lot of new products, and one of the annoying things we find is, that we get a brand new TFT monitor, that has a dead pixel, and we get told by our supplier that it's within the tolerence of 3 dead pixels WARGH!!!

Regarding the GP32, it will suffer from the same problem as it's any other TFT, just with a lower resolution so there's less pixels to possibly die, but dying transistors are still a fear. But don't forget, never fear the GP32, never fear it, dead pixels cannot harm the eyesight GIGGLES.

Clare.

If that picture is really a live shot of the weather outside your house/apartment, it must really suck to live in jolly ol England.  I don't think I've ever seen the picture with nice weather.  Of course, it could be just a few pictures randomly sellected?  I did do a refresh and people who were in the picture were gone. 

Last edited by a moderator:
WarmFluffyUK posted on Oct 13 2004 at 07:00 PM said:
finty101 posted on Oct 13 2004 at 07:50 PM said:
Do people just call alot of TFT LCD then?

I think the manufacturers are using the term "LCD" as the general public seem to have latched onto LCD as being the flat monitors, as apposed to CRT, which are the big bulky monitors. Asking Joe Public "What monitor would you like, TFT or CRT?" would confuse them, so they use LCD as a sort of brand type. Take for instance the GamePark official specification for the GP32 screen:
3.5" Reflective TFT LCD(65,536 concurrent colors)
Note it says TFT LCD.. Well TFT and LCD are two totally different technologies, it's a bit like saying my hard drive is an IDE SATA or my graphics card is an AGP PCI or my cooker is a GAS ELECTRIC.
As I said, LCD is terminologised because the public kinda know to expect a thin screen. But the screen is still a TFT.

The big answer is YES, people call TFTs LCD. I kinda find that annoying though.

Wow, hope that cleared that one up LOL.

Clare.

Actualy the screen in the GP32 and other such devices are still LCDs. TFT is just a *type* of LCD. TFT just refers to the fact that there are thin film transistors at each pixel giving better contrast and speed. This opposed to the older passive displays that just had simple electrodes in the transistors place and were driven outside of the screen. All of these displays use Liquid Crystals sandwiched between two glass plates, they are just driven differently, still all liquid crystal displays though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back