Idea/wish For Gmenu2x

chronoboy

Still Fresh
I just thought about this and how to make the GP2X more "user friendly" to new people.

As everyone knows, in order to play your own music while playing a game, you need to conjure up a UNIX shell script. Well...

What is Gmenu2x had an option to play a m3u playlist before launching an application/game from the menu. It will set the CPU speed first, to cause less issues with the background music process. After the termination of the app/game, the background process for the music will also be terminated. Just a cool idea, that wouldn't mind seeing in a future release of Gmenu2x.

Cheers,
Kev.

It wouldn't be too hard to add that in. I might make a special script later, but I'm too lazy at the moment to hack Gmenu2x's code.

What is the name of that program for playing music in the background again?

edit: Found it, its madplay2x. I thought there was one that ran on the 940, but that was just wishful thinking. Let the scripting begin!
edit2: hmm... madplay2x doesn't support playlists or anything similar, this ain't gonna be easy.

Here's a prototype, change the parts in bold as necessary:

#!/bin/sh
madplay=/mnt/sd/apps/madplay
mount /mnt/sd -o remount,sync

rm -rf /tmp/music
mkdir /tmp/music

count=0
sed "s/\015//g" < $@ |
{
while read filename
do
ln $filename /tmp/music/$count.mp3 -s
count=`expr $count + 1`
done
}

cd "/mnt/sd/games/tileworld2x"
$madplay -- adjust-volume=10 - Z - R /tmp/music/*.mp3 &
"./tileworld2x.gpe"

sync

kill -9 `pidof madplay`
rm -rf /tmp/music
mount /mnt/sd -o remount,async
cd /usr/gp2x/
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu

Make a link to this. In the "edit link" menu, set the following as shown:
selector directory: <wherever you keep your playlists>
selector browser: ON
selector filter: m3u

If the game GPE you are going to launch ends with

cd /usr/gp2x/
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu

remove that part.

It doesn't work perfectly with everything just yet.

I am posting this in this Topic cause I don't want to create a new thread.

It would be nice if Gmenu2x doesnt touch the battery LED! Maybe make it configurable.
Since some weeks I am using an SD card without Gmenu2x cause I just use one Emu on it and the red battery LED works! Before, using Gemnu2x, it doesn't. So I asume that Gemenui2x is doing something nasty to the IRQ handler or what ever.

Would be nice if somebody could confirm this behaviour.

Back