idea for pandora 2

zohnnyg

i had a quick idea for pandora 2. what if pandora 2 could be just a new more powerful pcb that fits perfectly into pandora 1? like an upgrade. take out pandora 1 pcb and insert pandora 2 pcb. we could send our pandora 1 to pandora team and pay for the upgrades necessary and for them to install it. i mean the pandora already has a great case and buttons and nubs. so maybe just design pandora 2 pcb to fit into pandora. maybe a screen upgrade too? theres nothing wrong with the screen but maybe the new powerful pcb needs a higher rez screen.

This is off-topic, and nothing against you, zohnnyg, but mightn't it be worth creating an official thread for P2 ideas? It's clear that people just saying that there are no plans for the P2 and so it is worthless to talk about it isn't going to stop threads like this appearing every so often.

As for the OP, I like the idea but it would probably be much more cost efficient for both parties to just have a trade-in deal, whereby OP just exchange your old P1 with a new one, make any necessary repairs to the old one, and sell the refurbished unit cheaply for those who cannot justify the cost of the P2.

They mentioned they will use the same form factor but probably not completly the same (like iphones do) that said its a long long long way off if it even happens at all.

i mean the pandora already has a great case and buttons and nubs.

Don;t forget that the nubs are soldered directly to PCB. There are plans of making them socketable but even so you still couldn't easily use nubs from your old 1.0 unit.

Been suggested before and being eco it is a good idea... but by the time a Pandora 2 does come out.. I would imagine most peoples Pandoras 1s would be very worn/scratched etc. Also the cases due to paint were never perfect...

Been suggested before and being eco it is a good idea... but by the time a Pandora 2 does come out.. I would imagine most peoples Pandoras 1s would be very worn/scratched etc. Also the cases due to paint were never perfect...

It's not paint-fade/rub. It's patina.

Slightly mis-aligned lid edges, worn paint, etc... all part of the 1.0 experience.

IMHO 2.0 should be:

Thinner.

Daylight viewable.

SDXC compatible.

802.11n.

More screen, less speakers & bezel.

vibration alarm & feedback

Four shoulder buttons

Accelerometer

Compass

GPS

6 axis

Quad core (or at least dual)

1GB RAM (or at least 512)

2GB NAND

socketed nubs

Released sometime in late 2012 or early 2013.

I.e. more of the same.

but mightn't it be worth creating an official thread for P2 ideas? It's clear that people just saying that there are no plans for the P2 and so it is worthless to talk about it isn't going to stop threads like this appearing every so often.
I'm not so sure that that would be a good idea. Imagine this scenario;

Customer happens along to these here official Pandora forums.

Customer sees a thread discussing the "Pandora 2".

Customer thinks "Oh, I may as well not order a Pandora - I'll just wait for the new one.".

Classic "Osborne Effect" scenario. :p

And for those who would claim that this isn't how it would go, you should check the Support section on occasion, where we still get the occasional soul who's looking for help with the Pandora internet radio service. ;) The hypothetical potential customer who sees but doesn't fully read "The Official Pandora 2 Thread" really is a distinct possibility.

Last edited by a moderator:
please dont make it thinner, after holding my 3ds now, the 3ds feels tiny in a bad way, and i sorta feel sorry for it and am thinking of buying the bulging battery just so it becomes thicker, id also like the speakers to take up all the space on the side of screen, so make speakers huge!

I was thinking ...

it would be nice to have a physical expansion slot for adding Accelerometer, Compass, GPS, gyro, better wifi, fm radio, DAB/DMB/DVB receivers, interesting sockets, extra battery* what ever else comes up in the future, hacking, keeping hardware up-to-date etc

I think that as chips become smaller you could fit one (or two) of the above in something the volume of a ds cart . if such could be made hot-swappable (after unmount (?))

....people could have thinness and the functionality they wanted

thus helping to keep the cost down for people who don't want fancy hardware.

When I suggested it I was:

• told that the pandora 1 still had a huge back order
  • shown a picture of a computer with 3 times its volume in peripherals.

maybe if we had a pandora 2 brainstorming section with:

The Pandora will undergo NO Major Changes in the next few years.

--------- hand-held ------------- retro gaming ----------- Linux ---------- versatile ---------

written across the top people replying could respond with confidence that the suggestions were sensible and long term from people who were not explaining well, but did read before posting.

*so the main one could be swapped while the pandora 2 was on

Back