iCP2: They're throwing in the towel.

^^^^Oh its well and truly over im sure. I reckon the' underestimating the costs of the new keymats is bullshit. You get a quote from a manufacturer in relation to the actual plastic type. Obviously a different type of keymat would have a different price, be it higher or lower. Smokescreen id say.

I don't want a refund.

What I would like for my money:

- open source iCP2 hardware design and software, as it is

- one of the populated PCBs, along with any other parts that have been built

- the iCP1 that I paid for, which was supposedly reserved for me

I think there was a good opportunity to make a nice device here, and I am reluctant to call it quits.
You don't want your money back? What about the $45,000.00 Craig was supposed to spend on molds for the cases that were never made? 

As for the other parts, none were ever built. No cases, no keymats, no swivel clamps. Just 100 boards with broken LEDs. We paid for all that, so if it wasn't manufactured we should damn well get our money back. Otherwise, where does all that money go? If it still exists...

Craig should be selling his shitty car and the 3D printer he bought with our money and take out a loan to repay the backers for this latest mess. Instead, he's ducking out without so much as a "sorry" and with no personal loss whatsoever. And I won't be surprised when, in the coming weeks, it's revealed that any and all funds Craig had access to are gone, with nothing to show.

I sincerely hope you're finally cured of your delusion that Craig is an innocent victim in all this.

^

I'd have to say, rather than a partial refund , I'd be more happy with a populated PCB ie with nubs but no LEDs, a battery and plain keymat plus plans for the case etc (which I could get 3D printed) 

Last edited by a moderator:
And I won't be surprised when, in the coming weeks, it's revealed that any and all funds Craig had access to are gone, with nothing to show.
Yeah, especially since he mentioned, in the last real message from him, that he had to put money in the project himself... poor thing... :)

Don't fucking spend the money before you actually delivered something. But well, we're talking about Craig here, and the rules don't seem to apply. 

Surprising step, more or less.

I never preordered or funded the iCP2 but I must say, I always was for Keyboard lights on this device so I wonder if this really had an impact that caused the canceling of the entire project at the end. Ignoring Craig and his decissions for a second, why does these thingsseems to always happen to such promising projects? It feels like every electronics company out there just want to screw up. No parts available, delays, not working components...is this just imagination or reality? Because if this is the usual way with electronics, no PC/smartphone, Tablet would exist because every company would be bancrupt during the prototype phase. This just can't be, or are only small companies treated like this?

And then I see how fast Electronic devices can grow out of nothing, see all these cheap China stuff thingies, or even the NVidia Shield was released compared fast (and no, I'm sure "money" just doesn't solve any problem in general!) So what is it that "we" seems to have so much bad luck but others not? Was the device just bad or wrong designed, "over engineered" like mentioned here somewhere? Or just choose the wrong third party Companies for all the parts?  

So is this an official ICP2 bankruptcy/insolvency? Is Craig legally obligated to open his books to his ICP2 creditors? If so it would be possible to finally see if the Pandora monies owed to ED went into funding the ICP2 project. That could spell legal trouble for Craig.

Ignoring Craig and his decisions for a second
You can't just separate the two, unfortunately. As I said before, you can't just say that people are unlucky when they fail 10 times in a row. Stop looking for other reasons, when the responsibility of the project management is clearly with Craig. He already knew everything that went wrong with the Pandora and comparatively the ICP2 was a more simple project, with less parts and already the manufacturing location figured out. 

There are tons of successful projects out there in hardware, so it really has nothing to do with the scale, or the suppliers. Just, piss poor planning and management. 

So is this an official ICP2 bankruptcy/insolvency? Is Craig legally obligated to open his books to his ICP2 creditors? If so it would be possible to finally see if the Pandora monies owed to ED went into funding the ICP2 project. That could spell legal trouble for Craig.
I think Craigs already in touch with his lawyers, trying to cover his arse. This was posted in another thread - an email reply from Craig

Hello Martin,

As i've told you before, Ed promised to fulfil your order and OP ltd transferred all our assets to Ed

on the basis of him doing this.

For whatever reason he didn't do it. I've never got a square answer from him as to how he managed

to ship 600 orders to his own customers but only a fraction to the other outstanding customers.

Perhaps it will help to know we have taken legal advice as to our options and you may hear something

about this later in the week.

Thanks,

Craig

I wonder who other than Craig has any of the cash?.  Didn't some of it get transferred to others ?.  I think Mr Loon is spot on with his KS comment, we need full disclosure on what money is on hand and with who, what parts were ordered etc.

Hello Martin, As i've told you before, Ed promised to fulfil your order and OP ltd transferred all our assets to Ed on the basis of him doing this. For whatever reason he didn't do it. I've never got a square answer from him as to how he managed to ship 600 orders to his own customers but only a fraction to the other outstanding customers. Perhaps it will help to know we have taken legal advice as to our options and you may hear something about this later in the week. Thanks, Craig

Mouhaha, pure Craig style. 

ED, I hope you are in touch with your lawyers as well to enquire what happened with the xxxx Euros you never saw for the 1Ghz units you delivered to Craig. 

SO many questions, like what about the ICP1's people ordered via the KS. 

I'm glad to see that while this cluster f.ck unravels, Craig who hasn't answered a single question in ages, is wiling away his precious time posting away on another forum, as he has done throughout this ordeal

ED, I hope you are in touch with your lawyers as well to enquire what happened with the xxxx Euros you never saw for the 1Ghz units you delivered to Craig.
Nope, I'm above such business behaviour.

If he attacks, I'm ready, but there's no need for me to attack him.

He's good enough killing himself off alone, he doesn't need any help with that...

Ignoring Craig and his decisions for a second
You can't just separate the two, unfortunately. As I said before, you can't just say that people are unlucky when they fail 10 times in a row. Stop looking for other reasons, when the responsibility of the project management is clearly with Craig. He already knew everything that went wrong with the Pandora and comparatively the ICP2 was a more simple project, with less parts and alrereall ady the manufacturing location figured out. 

There are tons of successful projects out there in hardware, so it really has nothing to do with the scale, or the suppliers. Just, piss poor planning and management. 
I really would like to listen other [Craig's] side of this, and not to judge "just because".  

Does Craig even have any ownership on the ICP2. As far as I'm aware the ICP2 KS was created by Product 3 which is a company owned by Link. Doesn't that give Link ownership of it?.  

Not trying to hang responsibility on Link, just that I'd be more happy knowing he has some control on things than purely leaving it to Craig.

Anyone who backed Craig after his well-documented Pandora disaster deserved all they got, in my opinion. A fool and his money, and all that...

D.

^ I just saw it as an investment in being part of an epic Kickstarter tragedy..

And I won't be surprised when, in the coming weeks, it's revealed that any and all funds Craig had access to are gone, with nothing to show.
Yeah, especially since he mentioned, in the last real message from him, that he had to put money in the project himself... poor thing... :)

Don't fucking spend the money before you actually delivered something. But well, we're talking about Craig here, and the rules don't seem to apply. 
No worries, I will not defend Craig in any ways. I just wonder if the issues and delays and the behaviour of the third party companies are "normal" or not. I know that it even gets worse in combination with Craigs "Business Model". Things like the suddenly unavailable and expensive multi colour LEDs for the Keyboard lights and so on. I also guess the issues with the new Nubs were not entirely Craigs fault.

Of course I know that careful planing can prevent some of these issues, but maybe not all.

The nubs have no issues.

Michael found the issue (software fix) and the nubs are the exact same as the Pandora ones.

The PCB is fully functional hardwarewise, it's the case, keyboard, etc. that's missing.

Back