iCP2: They're throwing in the towel.

I will NOT do any Kickstarter / preorder payments, etc. with a Pandora successor before I've got a complete working prototype (both PCB and case) in my hands and all orders setup, so that I simply need to tell "Go!" to make it happen.
Then how about the stretch goals? Perhaps we can give out promises of softwares or os functionalities in some upcoming patches after launch. This way, it won't cost a thing during the production phase. It seems to me that the biggest delays and issues are often at securing the parts. Maybe we can buy some of the cheap components in advance. It would be more expensive than buying them in one big bunch, but time is money, this way we would get the production started asap. The cost could potentially be compensated by finishing the pre-orders sooner, and thus gaining profits earlier in your shop.

I can feel your disappointment towards Craigix, ED, if anyone has the right to be upset, it would be you.

This community has faith in you, so you have not the need to worry.

Then how about the stretch goals? Perhaps we can give out promises of softwares or os functionalities in some upcoming patches after launch. This way, it won't cost a thing during the production phase. It seems to me that the biggest delays and issues are often at securing the parts. Maybe we can buy some of the cheap components in advance. It would be more expensive than buying them in one big bunch, but time is money, this way we would get the production started asap. The cost could potentially be compensated by finishing the pre-orders sooner, and thus gaining profits earlier in your shop.
ED doesn't need this. If he needs investors he already has people he can ask for help, just like when he relaunched the production at GC with the Rebirth. No need.

I will NOT do any Kickstarter / preorder payments, etc. with a Pandora successor before I've got a complete working prototype (both PCB and case) in my hands and all orders setup, so that I simply need to tell "Go!" to make it happen.

I can feel your disappointment towards Craigix, ED, if anyone has the right to be upset, it would be you.

This community has faith in you, so you have not the need to worry.
You can always make artificial stretch goals that were always part of the design.

You can always make artificial stretch goals that were always part of the design
You risk not meeting your stretch goals: either you'll have to remove features or be caught in your web of lies.A P2 can easily have stretch goals, they just can't be directly related to the main hardware, things that can afford to put off. Designing the TV cable, or a breakout board to the EXT connector, software enhancements, or additional hardware that can be added on after it has shipped are all examples. ED can produce a P2 prototype and have everything ready to just say "GO" as soon as he has the required money, and then the extra money can be put towards these little things that don't really matter so much if they fail.

Maybe these last messages should be put to P2 rumors... oh... and since there is no longer a iCP2 kickstarter to discuss maybe it is time to... <_<

Ah... but we'd have to haul our lazy butts over to KS comments to see the drama unfold then? Right, let the music play then...

I am actually curious too to hear whether the announcement was made by Craig or Link... the text does not "sound" like Craig at all (unless the graveness of the situation had somehow sobered his output a bit), I was kind of expecting the "gimme me moar moneys for a once in a lifetime shot to be first in queue"-verse next... after all, it worked with the 1 GHz Pandora, so why not apply it here too? And hey, was it actually so that ED did not originally intend to release knowledge of the 1 GHz to the wild when Craig did it? Was this announcement a pre-emptive strike? Will the Boy Wonder be in time to undo the Riddler's latest scheme? Tune in to...

Perhaps it is now time for....

1z5tev7.png

to become...

2yn19ar.png

Ed, try to get your money for the nubs before transferring anything to GC if legally possible,

maybe they got lawers, that are experienced with tricksters like Craig and got no big problems wringing money out of him.

Craig should dance on the streets in a Mickey Mouse costume for money until his feet peel of and at least some guys are refunded (including OpenPandora ltd.-customers),

right after all the toys are auctioned, that he baught with the money that he made magically disappear and of which was never heard of again.

As soon as I heard, that Link did put his name under something ICP2-related, I immediately thought, that he won't get happy again.

I wonder how much obligations he has now for money that Craig took (for whatever).

Last edited by a moderator:
Ed, try to get your money for the nubs before transferring anything to GC if legally possible,

maybe they got lawers, that are experienced with tricksters like Craig and got no big problems wringing money out of him.
Do not worry about the nubs, I've got more money than I'll ever need for GC, as the production never happened and I got that as well already.

I've secured from the very beginning that the iCP2 cannot affect my company moneywise.

Perhaps it is now time for....

1z5tev7.png
to become...

2yn19ar.png

Although tempting, it might be useful to keep them around for a wee bit longer. You know, in case we really do get a new kickstarter/Fundmeproject/whatever in two months time. Might be a good idea to keep some history around for new potential suckers to find, so to speak.

Might be nice to move them to their own foldable forum section, though.

And there goes the last ever project of Craig's anyone will ever back
I've heard tales of men who have one "brilliant" idea after another, never actually succeeding. Their job is entirely coming up with new ideas, starting a company, and convincing venture capitalists to invest money in the idea for months or even years until the idea eventually fizzles and the company goes bankrupt. Then they move on to the next big idea and start over again.
Witnessed it first hand a few times, unfortunately; contractors who come in, milk milk milk, abandon and move to the next guy; they often pitch the same lame duck (sounds good, doesn't fly) idea guy after guy, just taking third and fourth stabs at it, on someone elses dime; 10 years later they've got nothing, but been well paid the whole time...

Reminds me of 'professional renters', they 'rent' a place and never pay a dime; it takes a year or more for a legal system to manage to kick someone out, whose been living for free the whole time; repeat .. can get by 10 years before they get into enough trouble.

jeff

Although tempting, it might be useful to keep them around for a wee bit longer. You know, in case we really do get a new kickstarter/Fundmeproject/whatever in two months time. Might be a good idea to keep some history around for new potential suckers to find, so to speak.

Might be nice to move them to their own foldable forum section, though.
I agree. If nothing else comes of this fiasco at least it can serve as a warning to anyone considering getting involved with Craig J V Rothwell again, either as a business partner, backer or investor.

I think I'd prefer whatever componenets are there ie PCB + LEDS or whatever instead of $10 a year from now. I like to tinker

What about everyone else?

I would not have minded if MWeston got paid a little bit more to finish the firmware etc, the PCBs were made with nubs and battery - no LEDS, we got normal keymats and thats it.  If they then provided the plans for the rest ie case etc, at least that gives us a chance to have that 3D printed and finished ourselves as a kit project if you like.

I remember back in the GP2X days when Craig was one of the good guys.  They were heady days full of promise and potential.  The "Craiginator" was a dream come true and I was looking forward to my Pandora like nothing else before.

And then Craig flushed it all down the toilet and burned almost every bridge he'd ever made, and it'll never quite be the same again.

I mourn the loss of that.

MWeston thanks for the information and all your work developing this.  I understood the project being condemned when I thought there was a design hurdle, but now it just looks like lack of organization and planning doomed it. Maybe we should have fought to see a detailed gant chart with explination before funding.  There still isn't a keyboard/gamepad out there so even with delays it would have still been viable for the market.  frustrating

I don't want a refund.

What I would like for my money:

- open source iCP2 hardware design and software, as it is

- one of the populated PCBs, along with any other parts that have been built

- the iCP1 that I paid for, which was supposedly reserved for me

I think there was a good opportunity to make a nice device here, and I am reluctant to call it quits.

Back