Icons?

I like the script ideas. It gets kinda tedious navigating thru all the folders. Never knew about the icon thing. Big thanks to those providing them. I can even use those on my xbox. :)

I use these icons for the emulators on my XBox. They're 128x128 so the detail is much greater.

@Eolair
I've been kinda doing the same thing. I have a bin directory where I put all the files (emulators, games, etc) and then I have a "Games" folder and an "Emulators" folder where I have scripts and icons that launches the programs. Works pretty well
Exactly the same as me, I just use 'system' instead of 'bin'. I suppose I should change that to be more 'linuxey' and less 'windowsey'.

I did try to use '.sys' but the . doesn't make the folder hidden which is a shame.

So far the only thing that doesn't work perfectly with this way of doing things is DrMD, it works fine but it insists on creating it's own folder in the root.

Edit: I'm now using 'bin' as well, maybe we'll start a standard! I put all emus and interpreters and engines into the 'roms' folder. the reason for this is that it keeps all copyrighted files in the same place.

Ideally of course i'd like these folders to be .bin and .roms and for them to be invisible to the menu.

How do you go about doing this? I'm totally confused because when you make a skin, there's a generic utility icon and a generic game icon.

Just put a 32x32 png file in the same folder as the gpe file with the same name, if the menu finds a png with the same name as the gpe it uses that instead of the generic icon.

Edit: elaborate a little

I think we have a bit of a questionable thing going on regarding the symbolic link ability with the SD cards. Symbolic links should be possible on the GP2X if you use symbolic links under the GP2X when the SD card is mounted, via sterm. Though FAT32 doesn't have symbolic linking capabilities, that is more so a OS limitation and not a filesystem limitation. I've yet to actually try this out, but I think the theory of it is sound.

**EDIT**
Wikipedia's entry on symbolic links seems to support my theory.

I think we have a bit of a questionable thing going on regarding the symbolic link ability with the SD cards. Symbolic links should be possible on the GP2X if you use symbolic links under the GP2X when the SD card is mounted, via sterm. Though FAT32 doesn't have symbolic linking capabilities, that is more so a OS limitation and not a filesystem limitation. I've yet to actually try this out, but I think the theory of it is sound.

**EDIT**
Wikipedia's entry on symbolic links seems to support my theory.
FAT32 cannot support symlinks. And I don't know where you're looking on wikipedia, but there's nothing on that page that says it's an OS limitation and not a filesystem limitation. You should be able to create a symlink on the nand and point it at the sd, but you can't create a symlink on the sd.

Last edited by a moderator:
That just means that sybolic links can be used for multiple Linux file systems, not necessarily for FAT32.

Actually, the site also says that slow symlinks should be possible, even on FAT.

When I try ln -s on my 2x however, it says operation not permitted.

Perhaps slow symlink support is a kernel option... otherwise I wouldn't know.

This was what was on wikipedia that I was talking about.

As a result, they can be used to refer to files on other mounted file systems
That's what I mean when I say you can create a symlink on the nand (which doesn't use fat32) to point to a file on the sd. But you can't create a symlink on the sd as it's fat32.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alas, I have yet to try it yet unfortunately, but I thought it possible, if not I apologize for wasting peoples time. I for one, am going to use ext2 as soon as possible.

When did this turn into a thread about symbolic linking? Anyway, I added two icons to my Emulcons icon package ;)

new4yb.png

ooh those are some nice icons....

now we just need some c64 and atari icons like those!

Back