Icons Wanted

Squidge

Certified Guru
Website
Visit site
I'm in need of some icons for the menu system in my emu, is anyone willing to draw some? I've looked around in google for the past hour, and although I can see some suitable ones, I can't find everything in the same set, and pinching icons for different sets looks ugly due to different styles/sizes/etc.

So I'm looking for an icon for each one of the "main menu" items, which currently consists of:

Return to game
Load ROM
Reset game
Settings
Exit

and a background/backdrop image *

(If you would like further options, then design icons for those too and they just may make it into the emu too :) However, note that stuff like vsync, frameskip, etc will be in the "settings" menu)

Notes:
Icon size can be between 16x16 and 64x64, but they should all be the same size. All files should be 24bpp BMP's. These files will be seperate from the emu, so can be changed at any time.

* The background image size is 320x240. However, when the menu is active, you will only see approximately 30 pixels on the left and right side of the background and 10 pixels at the top and bottom of the background. So placing a lot in the middle will be a waste of time, as it will hardly ever be seen.

EDIT: Here's an example of a 16x16 icon, 64x64 and backdrop picture, so you know how it'll all fall into place: http://www.squidgey.plus.com/Cap_2.bmp

I would like to aswell! The SNES is my favourite console of all time, i love what your doing with the emu and I want to contribute as well.Plus I love making skins and icons and all that stuff.

Thanks. Well, the emu will be skinable, so maybe I could distribute a few different skins for use with the emu?

Cool, Neat idea. :D

If you want I can probably whip up something nice within the next hour If you like. I have an idea to make a cool Super Famicom Skin based on the Japanese Design, I can have it ready soon if you wish. :)

nice this means there will be a nice update of your super ultra duper fast emmu great..

super punsh out worked great and it realy was around 60fps al the time.. and btw i realy like there is a little fps counter in the corner but you should make it possible to turn off and on in the settings menu.,

And I hope you know that the image is placed like 1cm wrong (to the left) so you wont see the hole game in this stage... hope it's like this for you too Squidge
srry if i should have posted this in the thread about the emmu in the news soon :p

Well great work there Squidge!

ok, done with my icons. i've never done icons before so maybe somebody can come up with something better.

they are 48x48 24-bit bitmaps.

is the menu always going to be white?

here's what they look like:
squidgesnesicons.gif

here's the zip file

(i won't say which one is which since hopefully it's clear. if not then i guess i'd better polish up my icon-making)

It's pretty clear to me. Load, Settings, Reset, Return to Game, Exit, right?
They look pretty good.

I like how the exit icon is a snes controller in the trash :)

Great icons

thanks everybody. i discovered that i like making icons, which is cool. i hope someday soon i can make things as snazzy as jon hicks' firefox icon - i love that thing.

yes i did use photoshop but specificially i used the path tools. then once i had vector masks for all of my component shapes i used the layer blending options for outlines, etc.

Nice icons! Thanks very much :)

In case you don't know, Inopia wrote the menu system I'm using/testing.

Hey All,

Just wanted to show everyone what I had for my background design, I think using the cool icons above with perhaps some transparency added, we can kick this little emu off pretty nicely. :) Below are some screenshots of the background image.

http://www.geocities.com/artilleron/SQIDGEMMX2.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/artilleron/SQIDSNESBG.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/artilleron/sqidgemenutest.jpg

And finally the 24 Bit BMP in zip form below:

http://www.geocities.com/artilleron/SqSNES_BG.zip

Hope everyone likes! :)

Here's the icons layed onto the menu:

pic 1

pic 2

rokdcasbah: Although the icons look great already, is there any chance you could change the background color to R:255 G:0 B:255 (purple) ? This would make them transparent when the selector bar is over them.

HydraLancer: Need to badger Inopia to find out how easy it would be to skin the main menu title bar, and see if transparent menu backgrounds are possible. It's quite easy to change the selector bar color.

Alright, I've got my contribution here too ..

I kind of did a full mock up of how the selector would looks as well. The Icons are also here seperately but I dont think they'll go so well with your theme right now Squidge.

In full (320x240):

squidgeSNESfull.jpg

The icons on the above picture are smaller than 64x64 as I couldn't fit them all onto one
screen. If the selector has scrolling, then the icons could be used in their full size as shown below.

Respectively, Load Rom, Return to Game, Settings, Reset, Exit:

loadRom.jpg

return.jpg

settings.jpg

reset.jpg

exit.jpg

I made them all with InkscapeSVG (I'm really lovin' the Inkscape).

Squidge, I'll put them in the format you're asking for now (with the purple background for transparency.

Back