Game/utility Icons On The Gp2x

Guyfawkes

Certified Idiot :)
Website
www.emuholic.com
Not sure if this is common knowledge or not but the GP2X menu can display small icons for your games or utils. I found it out by accident when i uploaded a screenshot of Memory when making the game.

Make a PNG format image of 32x32 (may be a bit larger i think) pixels and name it the same name as your gpe or gpu file. i.e. game.gpe and game.png

The image will now replace the default icon the GP2X uses with the PNG you have made.

You can see an example on my Memory game I released last week at http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,25,1096

Apologies if its been mentioned before, I havent seen any releases with the icons so no idea if anyone knows or not.

you have the game - game.gpe- say its a mario clone, you take a png of marios head -32x32- and name it -game.gpe- THE SAME AS the game name. linux wil grab it, and make the default icon, marios head. Understand?

you have the game - game.gpe- say its a mario clone, you take a png of marios head -32x32- and name it -game.gpe- THE SAME AS the game name. linux wil grab it, and make the default icon, marios head. Understand?

indeed, this custom icon replaces the normal one, so for a game, a few cards (in aurora anyway), or the utility icon (a screwdriver or something).

Last edited by a moderator:

No, you name it game.png. It says it all in the first post.

sorry for being anal, but "Make a PNG format image of 32x32 (may be a bit larger i think) pixels and name it the same name as your gpe or gpu file. i.e. game.gpe and game.png"

:unsure:

It does replace the icon but I just get to see a black square :blink:

Edit: tried a different image and it worked. This is going to clutter up people's cards. What is the allocation unit on an SD ? I hope there is a way it can be stored in the .gpe like the .fxe format allowed.

Nice find 'though.

Thing is, a .gpe isn't really a format so much as a convention. That is, if you renamed any program .gpu or even .blabbity, and then executed them from, in the first instance, the Utility menu, and in the second, from a terminal emulator, the program would still load.

All it is is type of name of a file (if not the type of file) that the game menu will display.

It might be an interesting experiment, if you don't believe me, to try renaming a text file as a .gpe and then run it from inside the game menu. Either it'll load the ebook viewer (dubitable), or it'll try and execute it because that is what (conventionally) .gpe files are for!

EDIT: It is worth noting that the same applies in Windows - or at least, in the command prompt under XP, and presumably 2K and NT (possibly not '98). That is, if you find any .exe file, and rename it .smegoff, as long as you type the *entire* filename (including the extension) in when you try to run it, it ought to run - and indeed does on my computer.

The implications of this are, of course, that it matters more what you're running the program with than what format it's in. The format is a binary executable. Possibly with a header. If the thing you're viewing it with is designed to read the header and see if there's an image there before displaying it, then that viewer will be capable of diaplying the icon without requiring the extra file. Whether the default one does this is, to my knowlege, unknown.

sorry for being anal, but "Make a PNG format image of 32x32 (may be a bit larger i think) pixels and name it the same name as your gpe or gpu file. i.e. game.gpe and game.png"

:unsure:
Edit: Oh, I think I see what you were getting at. I wasn't suggesting that it has to be named game.png but if the game was called game.gpe then name the image game.png. The post that I replied to said to name the image game.gpe.

isnt it possible to have something similar to a fxe for gp32 where all the filesa are together?

Just chiming in, Tobriand, to say for the benefit of those unfamiliar with Linux that, by default, executables don't have an extension, which is a bit disorienting when you first switch.

One question... Can you remove the file once the shell sees it the first time? Or does it have to stay there?

Well, that's two questions.

Not sure if this is common knowledge or not but the GP2X menu can display small icons for your games or utils. I found it out by accident when i uploaded a screenshot of Memory when making the game.

Make a PNG format image of 32x32 (may be a bit larger i think) pixels and name it the same name as your gpe or gpu file. i.e. game.gpe and game.png

The image will now replace the default icon the GP2X uses with the PNG you have made.

You can see an example on my Memory game I released last week at http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,25,1096

Apologies if its been mentioned before, I havent seen any releases with the icons so no idea if anyone knows or not.
Ya, I noticed that about a week ago.
It looks pretty cool with the question mark.

Sorry to interrupt... Just wondering if anyone knows if there is a limit to the number of files you can store on a FAT32 SD card?
There may be, but I doubt that you'll reach it. Ever. Even if you store hundreds of thousdands of 1px by 1px black squares.

Not so much. Well, it actually depends on how you do it.

The maximum amount of files and directories in a single directory is around 65000.

Still, it's not a limit you would reach in realistic use.

(Reference)

Back