I vote we call the P2 'The Dragon' - The OpenPandora: Dragon!

Kronos brings to my mind the God of War franchise.  Which is a bad thing.  And I kind of bleh using another character's name as a name.

Even though the name derived from the megaman character, not classical mythology?

I get the feeling Prometheus wouldn't be very comfortable with people thinking the console is named in tribute of her..

For some reason, I like female names like Pandora more than male names like Prometheus or Kronos.

What about Pyrrha, the red-haired daughter of Pandora?

For some reason, I like female names like Pandora more than male names like Prometheus or Kronos.

What about Pyrrha, the red-haired daughter of Pandora?
Also excellent -if a little hard to spell :)

Why am I thinking of a red-headed stepchild?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=red+headed+stepchild

Edit 1:  Although I do tend to agree with _wb_ , I also tend to favor female names over male ones in general for things.  Maybe it's an opposite gender thing, but throughout history, captains have referred to their vessels as if they were women.  "She's" a fine ship and all of that.  Maybe it confers a deeper meaning and love for a thing/product...

Last edited by a moderator:
Kronos is a pretty cool name.

In the most classic and well known version of Greek mythology, Cronus or Kronos[1] (Ancient Greek: Κρόνος Krónos) was the leader and the youngest of the first generation of Titans, divine descendants of Gaia, the earth, and Uranus, the sky.
The Titans are pretty cool, and Kronos was their leader. One other Titan was Prometheus, who stole the fire from the Olympian gods (Zeus and the rest of them), who retaliated by creating Pandora and her box/jar full of trouble. Another punishment was to chain Prometheus to a mountain, where each day for eternity, an eagle would eat his liver and each night his liver would regenerate (since Titans are immortal). But then Hercules (Heracles) killed the eagle and freed Prometheus.
What is wrong with you? Chronos, Chronus, Kron... or Kronos is international synonym for TIME.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronos :

Chronos was confused with, or perhaps consciously identified with, due to the similarity in name, the Titan Cronus already in antiquity,[1] the identification becoming more widespread during the Renaissance, giving rise to the allegory of "Father Time" wielding the harvesting scythe.
"consciously identified with" is what you did. But here is obvious meaning:

Chronos (Ancient Greek: Χρόνος, "time," also transliterated as Khronos or Latinized as Chronus) is the personification of Time in pre-Socratic philosophy and later literature.
Do I really have to remind us to classic, basic time related Linux (UNIX!) service:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cron

or what is synonym for watch? (Chrono - meter):  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronometer

Kronos brings to my mind the God of War franchise.  Which is a bad thing.  And I kind of bleh using another character's name as a name.
As to me it's more about Crono from Chrono Trigger <_<  .
@God of War: It was Kratos as I remember.

http://www.quartz-scheduler.org/documentation/quartz-1.x/tutorials/crontrigger :

CronTrigger Tutorial

Introduction
cron is a UNIX tool that has been around for a long time, so its scheduling capabilities are powerful and proven. The CronTrigger class is based on the scheduling capabilities of cron.

CronTrigger uses "cron expressions", which are able to create firing schedules such as: "At 8:00am every Monday through Friday" or "At 1:30am every last Friday of the month".
So _wb_, you are actively missleading people here to sporadic inerpretation. ED did not do that, he just participate and gave us his 2 cents, just as a help for some kind of "brainstorming" (Thanks ED anyway).

Do you feel more-than-usual urge to "protect" ED ? You are just_a moderator, my preciousss.

TIME related associations are the worst possible kind related to Pandora project. Because of obvious reason. Do believe ED knows that.

ontopic:

I agree that Titans are cool, Kronos is a cool name... just ... this is the fact.

EDIT: Chronos|Kronos as a God of time, *could* be usefull as a suggestion that Pandora is *timeless* machine (which somehow really is, because it brings us timeless classic games). My point is: "it is worth waiting for timeless machine".

Beside, it sounds natural as a follow-up to Pandora, which is always a good thing.

Wow, relax please :)

Kronos/Cronos/Cronus and Chronos are not the same words, the kappa and the chi are not the same letter, just like chop and cop are not the same word, or chat and cat. It's a small difference, and there clearly is a lot of potential for confusion, but I don't think that would necessarily be a bad thing.

Anyway, I think Pyrrha would be a cooler name than Kronos. Besides being the daughter of Pandora, I also like the reference to Pyr (fire), which makes me think of fire-breathing dragons...

I agree _wb_, I think Pyrrha fits Pandora perfectly:

Wikipedia said:
A Pyrrhic victory is a victory with such a devastating cost that it carries the implication that another such victory will ultimately lead to defeat. Someone who wins a Pyrrhic victory has been victorious in some way; however, the heavy toll negates any sense of achievement or profit.
 But probably not something you want to name the console ;)

(yeah I know, this is named after Pyrrhus and not Pyrrha, but I'm sure people will make the same connection)

Haha, well, it would fit the tradition of giving a name that refers to big trouble ;)

Just like with "Pandora", there also is an element of "hope":

When Zeus decided to end the Bronze Age with the great deluge, Deucalion and his wife, Pyrrha, were the only survivors. Even though he was imprisoned, Prometheus who could see the future and had foreseen the coming of this flood told his son, Deucalion, to build an ark and, thus, they survived. During the flood, they landed on Mount Parnassus, the only place spared by the flood.

Wow, relax please :)

Kronos/Cronos/Cronus and Chronos are not the same words, the kappa and the chi are not the same letter, just like chop and cop are not the same word, or chat and cat. It's a small difference, and there clearly is a lot of potential for confusion, but I don't think that would necessarily be a bad thing.

Anyway, I think Pyrrha would be a cooler name than Kronos. Besides being the daughter of Pandora, I also like the reference to Pyr (fire), which makes me think of fire-breathing dragons...
Of course, if I said that this is bull shite, it is clearly different meaning.

Willy and Dick are just ordinary fancy names, hopefully you are not working at icecream factory.

"It's a small difference, and there clearly is a lot of potential for confusion, but" ... that would not necessarily be a bad thing.

God bless autism.

I agree _wb_, I think Pyrrha fits Pandora perfectly:

Wikipedia said:
A Pyrrhic victory is a victory with such a devastating cost that it carries the implication that another such victory will ultimately lead to defeat. Someone who wins a Pyrrhic victory has been victorious in some way; however, the heavy toll negates any sense of achievement or profit.

But probably not something you want to name the console ;)

(yeah I know, this is named after Pyrrhus and not Pyrrha, but I'm sure people will make the same connection)
Exactly my point.

@darkborn: Please relax. I already asked you in a friendly, non-mod capacity to relax; now I'm asking it in a slightly more stern way, as a mod. This is a just-for-fun thread in a subforum appropriately called "Pandora 2 spam". There is no need to insult me or anyone else of suffering from "autism", and besides, I think it is offensive (to actual autists) to use the word "autism" as an insult.

^ What he said.  Let's NOT try to take things sooooooo seriously on this section of the forums.  I enjoy the ideas and banter, myself.  It gets my imagination going - my creative juices flowing, but it's not worth it if we all start yelling at each other - this future product is still hypothetical.  I say enjoy the free-flowing ideas and occasional sketches/models.

I for one like Kronos, but that's the only "male" sounding name that I've liked to this point.  I've liked a few that started with "P"....and one was (correctly) commented upon as not being recommended.  A certain someone didn't seem to want a fuss about her and I get that.  I just thought that it was a cool name...and that it would be a "tribute" - I was wrong on that idea.  She wouldn't have wanted the attention, but it's still a cool name (in my mind).

Well, _autism_ does not come from anywhere... it does have history. This mod person stalking me for some time. And it is always absurding.

When he's left without arguments, then he start "fascistic" arguing about my grammar and spelling "purity" (e.g. am I allowed to write "you're" instead "you are"). Lucky for me, people then start defending freedom of expression.

But it is going on. For example:
I started topic about Pandora promotion at Nixie Pixel, and mention OUYA as a example what she do. Some guy (actually thatgui  :) ) said "Sorry for OT..." but _wb_ start ridding at OUYA is it open source or not (I never said it is open source). I had to write

Well, this becomes off topic... Android mostly is not open source nor is it OUYA, agree with all.

But point is about possibility of marketing promotion at Nixie Pixel show, not about "purity" and "honor" of OS/hardware.
Again, it is not about ..., it is about Nixie Pixel, possibly promoting Pandora.
Back to the topic? No. Then he said

Don't just ask ED to ask people to review the Pandora, ask them yourself. If enough of us do that, it'll become more likely to happen. It's better that us normal Pandora users ask people to review it, than the guy who actually sells them.
Why then he did arguing about OUYA at all?

Beside, it is always sad when you have to ask mod to get back to the topic.
Next thing I was expecting (cliche) was mumbling about my expression and spelling. So, to anticipate it, I wrote

How about some poll?

My asperger autistic rubbish Engrish does not me allow to do that myself.
As you see, I was ironic to myself and autism is already in the context. People got this, few of us asked Nixie about Pandora review (unfortunately still nothing 'till now).

But, obviously, _wb_ can't (sorry "could not") get it ...cause "he has a mission".

Back