I vote we call the P2 'The Dragon' - The OpenPandora: Dragon!

If we call it anything with "Pandora" in, the curse of Pandora's Box may continue to plague us...

All manner of curses and plagues may delay the project... only hope can keep us going!

Once up a time, a long time ago, Zeus ordered Hephaestus (Aphrodite's husband) to make him a daughter. It was the first woman made out of clay. Hephaestus made a beautiful woman and named her Pandora.

Zeus sent his new daughter, Pandora, down to earth so that she could marry Epimetheus, who was a gentle but lonely man.

Zeus was not being kind. He was getting even. Epimetheus and Prometheus were brothers. Zeus was mad at one of the brothers, Prometheus, for giving people fire without asking Zeus first.

Zeus gave Pandora a little box with a big heavy lock on it. He made her promise never to open the box. He gave the key to Pandora’s husband and told him to never open the box. Zeus was sure that Epimetheus' curiosity would get the better of him, and that either Epimetheus or his brother would open the box.

Pandora was very curious. She wanted to see what was inside the box, but Epimetheus said no. Better not. "You know your father," Epimetheus sighed, referring to Zeus. "He’s a tricky one."

One day, when Epimetheus lay sleeping, Pandora stole the key and opened the box.

Out flew every kind of disease and sickness, hate and envy, and all the bad things that people had never experienced before. Pandora slammed the lid closed, but it was too late. All the bad things were already out of the box. They flew away, out into the world.

Epimetheus woke up at the sound of her sobbing. “I opened the box and all these ugly things flew out,” she cried. “I tried to catch them, but they all got out.” Pandora opened the box to show him how empty it was. But the box was not quite empty. One tiny bug flew quickly out before Pandora could slam the lid shut again.

“Hello, Pandora,” said the bug, hovering just out of reach. “My name is Hope.” With a nod of thanks for being set free, Hope flew out into the world, a world that now held Envy, Crime, Hate, and Disease – and Hope.

Yeah... good one, Pandora!  :/

Last edited by a moderator:
Envy,  Crime, Hate and Disease?  I take Hope.  That seems fruitful and like a good "karma" like stance.  Let's not tempt fate twice...the OP Team opened the box and let us experience this thing,,,and I have seen ALL of these emotions/actions on these boards.  Time now for the survey to be sifted through and a final plan to be developed for the "endgame".  We wanted this thing...it has a hold on us.

What about the Pandora Epoh?  People will say that it makes no sense.  They may question the decisions of the OP Team....saying that they're doing things backwards...contrary to the status-quo.   I say fine.  Build me another PANDORA.

If we give it positive names, then call it the Freya..

Maybe we will massivily score booty's when walking around with it.

The OS should be called Love Box.

The minimenu should be called XOXO (kisses and hugs)

What about The Vulcan ?

ttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulcan_%28mythology%29

Vulcan is the Roman equivalent of Hephaestus/Ἥφαιστος (the Greek original is a bit tricky to spell/pronounce), the god who created both Pandora and Pandora's box/jar. It is also the god of fire, which provides a link to (Evil)Dragons if you want.

Alternatively, if you want to go for descendants of Pandora, here are some options:

In Greek mythology, Pyrrha was the daughter of Epimetheus and Pandora and wife of Deucalion.

Deucalion and Pyrrha had three sons, Hellen, Amphictyon, Orestheus and three daughters Protogeneia, Pandora II and Thyia.

Wait....so his name was Hellen?  He must've got teased a lot when he went to Mt. Olympus Elementary School.  Kids can be so cruel.

I think we should name "it" after the second daughter of Pyrrha (Pandora II).

Hey, how about Progeny? Kind of a cool name...

^  Good find.  Deucalion seems to have quite a few ties to our current product.  Even the first syllable denotes a "second" something...(in my mind anyway).  It doesn't quite roll off of the tongue though.  Unless you hear it first.  What I mean is that different language users may not identify with Deucalion - it's not a sort of "brand name" sort of name.  Not a common word...  Not sure if that made any sense.

Interesting though.

I always associate 'vulcan' with military aircraft...

'Argo' seems a reasonable name

Or we could have the pandora 10

followed by the pandora 11 and the pandora 100 :D

Better than bauqola anyway!

^  I like it.   :)  

Two syllables...easy to pronounce.  Has a certain strength to it...I like sharp almost guttural words.  Plus, "Cronos" was the father of Zeus, Poseidon, Hades, Hestia, Demeter, and Hera...

When I hear the name in my head I also think of "time" for some reason...(hoists beer)...so here's to no delays in Kronos' production!*   :D

* I know that you're (probably) not "officially" endorsing anything at this point - but it's fun to think about anyway...(IMO).

Kronos is a pretty cool name.

In the most classic and well known version of Greek mythology, Cronus or Kronos[1] (Ancient Greek: Κρόνος Krónos) was the leader and the youngest of the first generation of Titans, divine descendants of Gaia, the earth, and Uranus, the sky.
The Titans are pretty cool, and Kronos was their leader. One other Titan was Prometheus, who stole the fire from the Olympian gods (Zeus and the rest of them), who retaliated by creating Pandora and her box/jar full of trouble. Another punishment was to chain Prometheus to a mountain, where each day for eternity, an eagle would eat his liver and each night his liver would regenerate (since Titans are immortal). But then Hercules (Heracles) killed the eagle and freed Prometheus.

Cronus was also identified in classical antiquity with the Roman deity Saturn.
While the Greeks considered Cronus a cruel and tempestuous force of chaos and disorder, believing the Olympian gods had brought an era of peace and order by seizing power from the crude and malicious Titans, the Romans took a more positive and innocuous view of the deity, by conflating their indigenous deity Saturn with Cronus. Consequently, while the Greeks considered Cronus merely an intermediary stage between Uranus and Zeus, he was a larger aspect of Roman religion. The Saturnalia was a festival dedicated in his honour, and at least one temple to Saturn already existed in the archaic Roman Kingdom.

His association with the "Saturnian" Golden Age eventually caused him to become the god of "time", i.e., calendars, seasons, and harvests — not now confused with Chronos, the unrelated embodiment of time in general; nevertheless, among Hellenistic scholars in Alexandria and during the Renaissance, Cronus was conflated with the name of Chronos, the personification of "Father Time", wielding the harvesting scythe.

As a result of Cronus' importance to the Romans, his Roman variant, Saturn, has had a large influence on Western culture. The seventh day of the Judaeo-Christian week is called in Latin Dies Saturni ("Day of Saturn"), which in turn was adapted and became the source of the English word Saturday. In astronomy, the planet Saturn is named after the Roman deity. It is the outermost of the Classical planets (those that are visible with the naked eye).
Sega Saturn emulation should not be a problem on the Kronos :)

There doesn't seem to be too much other stuff with the same name that could cause confusion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kronos_%28computer%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kronos_%28spacecraft%29

I would actually LOVE the Pandora 2 to be called OpenPrometheus. 

Back