I vote we call the P2 'The Dragon' - The OpenPandora: Dragon!

iPandeaux

Scratch the i.

Open Pandeaux.

Last edited by a moderator:
plethora 2

paradox 2

pregnant pandy 2

arodnap 2

Last edited:
SuperPandora has a nice ring to it, and not many people have anything bad to say about the Super Nintendo. Might be easy to capitalize on an instantly favorable reaction that way.

How about the "CLAP"?  The Compact Linux & Android Pandora...?  

...or maybe the "HERPES"?  The Honorably Efficient & Responsive Personal Entertainment System?  You know...named after that mythical Greek Warrior; Herpes.  The God of Cold Sores....

...nothing?  Well, back to the drawing board I guess.  I still can't figure out why that Ad Agency fired me...

101 posts and ZERO warning points...Hhhmmm...something's gotta give here.   :D  

...but to be honest (and unusually serious), I do like the "Dragonscale" or "Dragonfly" options...IF we just don't go with something more Pandora-specific - like the Pandora2 or the Pandora+, or something like that.  By the time that a newer SOC is available and the Pandora successor is on the drawing board (1-2 years from now?), maybe we could call it the PandoraQuadcore or 2GhzPandora...

Consider yourself informally warned - and don't make a habit of it ;)

I'm against names with 'Dragon' in them because it sounds cheap, and I don't think ED would feel very comfortable about it.

I suggest waiting for ARM v8 chips to become available and calling it the Pandora64

Okay, fair enough.   B)  

..and maybe you're also right about the "dragon" thing.  Might have too many unintended side-effects.  The "cheap" thing not withstanding, there does (or did) appear to be some friction between Crag and ED.  So choosing a "dragon"-like name might seem like we're taking "sides" and that wouldn't be good for anyone at this point.  Probably best to leave it closer to it's "roots" as it were.

If we somehow could get PS2 emulation done with the next generation Pandora, that'd be amazing.  I'm probably crazy wishing for that though...

AS mentioned before my others , I think the name shoujld be unique so that when you search for it, nothing other than it comes up.

Currently trying to do a search for Pandora is a nightmare.  Unless you like jewelry  :p

Well currently we seem to lose out to the internet radio service then the jewelry site...but point well taken.  I saw somewhere that a poster suggested the "Myriad".  That's an interesting name to me as well - if you're looking to distance the new name from the old.  Like this computer has a myriad of uses....but I'm not going to be the one that has to list the 10,000 possible uses.   :p

Or perhaps referencing the "modularity" of the future Pandora would be smart.  Like a two (or three) piece computer which attaches together to become the Pandora-POD...or just the POD.  We can probably noodle around with the acronym to make it stand for something cool.  You'd have the base unit (iCP2), then the screen module on top.  The iCP2 would have to have a taller bottom base to house the main PCB of course...or maybe the main PCB would be in a bottom casing with the 1CP2 in the middle and the screen module on top.  Paint it green and you have the P-POD.   :D   I'm just running some ideas up the ol' flagpole to see if anyone salutes....

Edit 1:  Maybe the Panda CUB.  Computing Un-Boxed.  Black and White casing (as an option)...huh?  Huhhh?

Modularity would be nice but far too problematic, given the current financial position of the project.

The only thing I can see causing conflicting search results is the Marconi Myriad, a super-compact desk computer from 50 years ago. Given the level of online activity of this community, I think it would be fairly easy to dominate search results.

Credit for the name goes to tenka

hexagonlogo2.png

• hexagons provide link with the the pandora's box logo
  • slightly fractal (and repetitive)--> myriad
  • ring-shaped (unlimited, continuous)
  • negative space in centre --> open
  • corners --> slightly retroey
  • suggests beehive --> many members working collaboratively

Oh yeah, it was Tenka who came up with that one (myriad).  It's a good one (IMO)...and I like the logo as well.  Looking back at my suggestions, they all seem to be a bit corny...

...I almost suggested the Pandora "COB" yesterday.  Make it a bit more elongated for a widescreen lcd,  paint it yellow...heck it's got a linux "kernal" inside of it.   :rolleyes:  

Okay, unless it's not directly connected to the Pandora name (Pandora2, Pandora64, etc), then MYRIAD gets my "vote"...which doesn't carry any weight around here, but there ya go.   :)

Myriad is a very nice name

Edit: Oh, i actually said the same thing back when it was first suggested xD

Votes might matter now that any hope of a P2 is an ED thing.  I am happy you who agree agree.  Dragon-anything gets the English Dragonball Z intro stuck in my head.

IMHO it doesn't matter much what us forum members decide upon in a vote here - plus I hope that we wouldn't do that (choose "sides" whilst the current Pandora still has preorderers and investors).  It starts with what ED and Craig decide to do.  I think that I get the gist of where people would go with their $$$ (I read the tea leaves) if there was a spin-off, but hopefully that won't happen.  Now, after that is decided, then the pieces will start to fall into place.  Then the OP Team will look at threads like these and maybe glean some ideas - maybe some already have - but there are still a lot of questions to be answered.  I'm just a dreamer.   :)  

Edited for clarity.

Back