I quit my job to go full time Indie

$3m a day?

That's loads, I'd never thought it would be so much.

I'm guessing that isn't from the sales, right? Not that many people downloading surely. This is achieved through in game advertising and such I guess?

Man, if that was me I'd retire after that day... Or perhaps the following day :)

$3m a day?

That's loads, I'd never thought it would be so much.

I'm guessing that isn't from the sales, right? Not that many people downloading surely. This is achieved through in game advertising and such I guess?

Man, if that was me I'd retire after that day... Or perhaps the following day :)
Probably from micro-transactions with a particularly devious F2P model.

Best of luck to you.  If you port to Pandora, I'll pick it up. 

I would recommend focusing on Android, making a free version or demo than a paid version for people who want the full experience.  That has the largest userbase.  From there, port to iOS/GCW/Pandora.

2 people have pre-ordered game since I quit my job. They took a leap of faith for their platform, are you willing to do the same for the OpenPandora?

New screen resolution is 640x480, which I think pandora is 800x480 right?

Last edited by a moderator:
New screen resolution is 640x480, which I think pandora is 800x480 right?
correct.

2 people have pre-ordered game since I quit my job. They took a leap of faith for their platform, are you willing to do the same for the OpenPandora?
Perhaps, I would like to know more about the game.. if I pre-order blindly and receive Barbie Horse Adventures IV then I would be upset..

ROFL, Barbie Horse Adventures?!

The game stars our protagonist Mr. Seed, he is chosen by his master to run his farm. While doing so he finds himself challenge by a mysterious woman who works for Jezebel(woman trying to create a farming monopoly). Throughout his journey he has to constantly compete with Jezebel as well as protect his farm from bandits, wild-life and public disgrace.

Judging by the (few) infos I can gather here and on your blog: Sounds interesting. I await the demo ;)

I hope this has a bit more "depth" and challenge than most of the farming games that are just...casual in every aspect.

If you need an idea for a sequel:

I'd love to see a farming game with a strategic system like dungeon keeper. With minions....and a whip to get them lazy buggers out on the field quickly *harrr*.

Maybe you can inform more clearly what you actually do in your game to get more people excited. I read the page, I've seen the video...but I still don't know much about the game itself.

What I gathered is "adventure-strategy" which leaves even more question marks. With Adventure I usually connect Monkey Island, but Point-Klick-Solve does not look like your game. So I assume either something like Harvest Moon or maybe Farmville but that are two very rough assumptions.

is it "real" stategy? I ask explicitly because many casual games call themselves "strategy" when in fact they are just "like a strategy game after you took out the strategy part" and mosty reduce it to "place whatever wherever and wait 10 Minutes". This is only topped by comments stating "Thats just like Sim City on a mobile". There should be laws against it. *rant*. I don't go and tell "It's just like a Ferrari!" when I actually just bought a slightly polished push pram.

I'd love to see a farming game with a strategic system like dungeon keeper. With minions....and a whip to get them lazy buggers out on the field quickly *harrr*.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/subterraneangames/war-for-the-overworld

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5CRtNAQ6Sc
Man, you just preponed Christmas for me :p How could I have missed that one :eek:

Thx for the farming recommendation as well...will look into that after funding overworld

In short:

no love from OP / GCW to Indie devs = no love from indie devs to OP/GCW
This makes me sad, I've bought every single commercial game quite a lot of commercial games for the pandora, I'd like to see more people appreciating the work that is going into this stuff, wether it be free or software you have to pay for. 

The pandora is an indie device and I hope the indie community will appreciate this, and I hope 'we' will appreciate the indie community a bit more. 

It's a win/win situation.

I shall not port to OpenPandora or GCW-Zero at launch.
If you're doing it right, it should be really easy to port.

- code from the beginning using SDL, GL, mingw and other portable stuff

- do the Linux port as you go (for PC Linux, steamboxes and such)

- just build it on Open Pandora and change a few settings such as key bindings

- make the PND (that's almost harder than porting a light-weight Linux game where you have the source!)

It will only be hard if you write it with lots of win32 specific code at the beginning. Make it portable from the beginning!

I realise it might be too late now for you to do that with this project.

But if you can port it to PC Linux the Pandora port should be easy, unless there are major performance issues.

Also you can almost certainly find someone here to help you with the port free of charge.

I think Pandora market does have a very high sale / population ratio, because we have very few commercial games on the repo.

If you look at PC gamers, what proportion of them bought a single lesser-known indie game? maybe much less than 0.1%.

Whereas here, it might be more than 1%. Quite a few Pandora owners (including me) will buy every commercial offering to be supportive.

The port should be fairly easy, and I think you can make at least $200 or more if you promote it a bit to the community.

(I guess that's not much, but better than nothing!)

I do not own an OpenPandora, so it will be an interesting experience to port. Also, game may lag on handhelds, as it lagged hard on gcw-zero...

I do not own an OpenPandora, so it will be an interesting experience to port. Also, game may lag on handhelds, as it lagged hard on gcw-zero...
GCW-Zero and Pandora doesn't really share anything in term of architecture, so don't assume how it run on Pandora from GCW-Zero (and don't forget some quite heavy stuffs runs on the Pandora, like DS, PSX or N64 emulation, Jedi Knight series, SuperTuxKart, etc...).

But, the market on Pandora is very small anyway. See it as a techshow, your thing running in an handheld :)

if you remember i ran the fields game on the pandora and gcw for you a while ago. If you code roughly in the same manner anything else you make will be portable.

Back