I Know It's Too Late, But What About 6 Buttons?

someboddy

Still Fresh
Since the system will be released in few months I guess it won't happen on the Pandora, but why won't you make your next system with a 6 buttons layout instead of 4? That way:
*Capcom fighting games could be played properly.
*Saturn and Genesis(the 6 buttons version) could be emulated properly.
*N64 emulators(which your next system should be able to run) won't have to use the right tumbstick for C-Buttons.
*The extra 2 buttons can be used as R2 and L2 on PSX emulation.

someboddy said:
Since the system will be released in few months I guess it won't happen on the Pandora, but why won't you make your next system with a 6 buttons layout instead of 4? That way:
*Capcom fighting games could be played properly.
*Saturn and Genesis(the 6 buttons version) could be emulated properly.
*N64 emulators(which your next system should be able to run) won't have to use the right tumbstick for C-Buttons.
*The extra 2 buttons can be used as R2 and L2 on PSX emulation.
Well the Pandora has a keyboard, so you could map some of the keys...

Last edited by a moderator:
you're forgetting that Pandora has a lot of extra "buttons"

for starters the easiest ones, the top "1234567890 and del", if you take the size you realize that you can easily use them

EDIT:
gah damn you fishy, damn you to hell!!! ;P

I do understand the concern, since a game that requires quick reflexes won't be really as playable with hard to reach buttons, like the keyboard ones. But won't pandora have shoulder buttons? Those will make for the remaining 2 that can be used fluidly for fast paced games.

alfatreze said:
I do understand the concern, since a game that requires quick reflexes won't be really as playable with hard to reach buttons, like the keyboard ones. But won't pandora have shoulder buttons? Those will make for the remaining 2 that can be used fluidly for fast paced games.

Hard to reach?

button "0" and "del" are like 0,5cm straight above the normal game buttons :p

http://openpandora.org/

Look at the pic with the girl holding it, you got plenty of buttons that are close :)

Holokauston said:
someboddy said:
True, but will the keyboard keys be as comfortable as the buttons for games?
Why shouldn't they be?

Well, the buttons are more separated and their design is aimed for fast paced gaming, while the keys' design is aimed at squeezing as many as you can on the small space.

Beside, the keys look too flat to be used for gaming...

someboddy said:
Well, the buttons are more separated and their design is aimed for fast paced gaming, while the keys' design is aimed at squeezing as many as you can on the small space.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=djt2uLnJk6g

I don't think it looks that way but then again I'm pretty used to flat keys

someboddy said:
It has been stated several times that the key design in the renders was thrown together long before any decision was made on what they would actually look like. The actual keys will be more domed with some space between them, like the keys on the Xbox 360 addon keypad. The renders were just never updated.

I agree that 6 buttons is better than 4, but there just wasn't room for 2 more, and using keypad keys is an acceptable alternative in the few situations where they are needed.

someboddy said:
Holokauston said:
someboddy said:
True, but will the keyboard keys be as comfortable as the buttons for games?
Why shouldn't they be?

Well, even with the keyboard in the pic not being final, and assuming a better layout/design, it would still not be that useful, since you would probably mash in a couple of buttons at the same time, and also risk damaging the keyboard more easily, since it's hardly gonna be engineered the same way as the buttons, that will surely be a lot tougher for frequent, selvatic use, as in the case of a lot of good games.

That being said, I still don't see the need for 6 buttons, the keyboard for optional/infrequent buttons will be great, but not for playing games that require really quick reflexes/and or button mashing.

Chip said:
I agree that 6 buttons is better than 4, but there just wasn't room for 2 more, and using keypad keys is an acceptable alternative in the few situations where they are needed.
Aren't there shoulder buttons?

U can't really tell by the renders, but it would appear so. The geometry for the buttons seems to intersect the case shell, with them being located only on top. I hope it is buttons, and that they too will still be engineered, hopefully to something a little more like the nintendo DS.

alfatreze said:
Aren't there shoulder buttons?
Yes there are. I assume the OP was referring to having 6 face buttons in addition to the shoulder buttons since he specifically mentioned the Genesis and Saturn controllers.

As for the N64 there are TWO joysticks and if I recall the GameCube used a joystick for the C buttons and they also used that same C Stick to emulate the C buttons on the N64.

And for the PS1 just use the 1 and 0 buttons!

I much prefer 4 face buttons, easier to play for the vast majority of games. For the very few that are more natural with 6 (let's be realistic, it's only a handful), then I find shoulder buttons just as good... plus as noted the keyboard can be mapped to cover anything else.

Back