I Got My Pandora

God Ginrai

Godmaster
Website
Visit site
iI'm posting this from my Pandora. The quality control is definately a lot better on these later units. I can't find anything to fault with mine. It doesn't even look like my screen bezel is sticking ut like others have found on their units. The only thing I have found wrong with the controls is that the shoulders are a bit firm, but those will wear in pretty quickly, so I' not concerned. The Dpad is a dream by the way. The keyboard feels really nice and will definately work as extra gaming buttons.

I'm so psyched! SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
iI'm posting this from my Pandora. The quality control is definately a lot better on these later units. I can't find anything to fault with mine. It doesn't even look like my screen bezel is sticking ut like others have found on their units. The only thing I have found wrong with the controls is that the shoulders are a bit firm, but those will wear in pretty quickly, so I' not concerned. The Dpad is a dream by the way. The keyboard feels really nice and will definately work as extra gaming buttons.

I'm so psyched! SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-God Ginrai

Congratulations, now we need some pictures of you playing some nes games wearing a funny hat!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to hear! And also great to hear that there's nothing wrong with it in terms of build, makes it a bit easier for us still waiting (still no email here despite an early order, but I'm a patient guy and the apps will only get better/become more optimised by the time poor slobs like us get our units ;) )

Do tell us more when you get the chance...

just got mine too,

I can't find many problems right off the bat. Build quality seems great. nubs are looser than I expected but seem to work ok. My shoulder buttons are fine, not too stiff not too loose, if anything I'd say they are on the loose side. the right one seems like it might have a little more travel than the left but that could be my imagination. Keyboard is easy to use. My unit runs stable at 850, froze immediately at 900. when closed the left side is ever so slightly higher than the left but hardly noticeable and hardly worth mentioning. The finish looks superb, I'm very happy with the decision to paint the cases, it looks very professional. wifi work fine, I havn't tested the speed yet but surfing the net was fairly quick and pidgin worked great. Thats about all I have time for right now (suppose to be working :ph34r: ) but I'll be up all night tonight playing with it. More to come...

btw, I'm practically pissing myself with excitement :D

That's good news God Ginrai. Out of most of the people around here I would've figured you to a quite the stickler for detail. So, I find it impressive that you "can't find anything to fault". Mine should be in the same sub-batch as yours, so this makes me happy.

thanks.

yea its funny, at first I was beating myself up about not ordering the second it went live, now I couldn't be happier about hesitating. :lol:

Congrats to God Ginrai on his Pandora/i/rae/rai/as/ndopulous turning up! Monocle passed on and Rosetta's sitting looking pretty on the far side of the dance floor....the top hat is proving harder to pass.

Let me put it like this: Imagine, you have one cake. And I have three cakes. This is like that, except you have no cakes, and I have 3 Pandoras. Also, I have this cake.

just realized I was kinda hijacking God Ginrai's thread, sorry about that. I'm just super stoked and I didn't want to make a new thread till I had time to say more.

Congrats God Ginrai, what was your first downloaded and/or installed program?

MDave said:
Awesome to hear! :)

Guess you're going to write a review up after?

Maybe. I'm not so good at writing reviews, but I might try to put something together. I think my time would probably be better spent just answering questions.

mindlord said:
That's good news God Ginrai. Out of most of the people around here I would've figured you to a quite the stickler for detail. So, I find it impressive that you "can't find anything to fault". Mine should be in the same sub-batch as yours, so this makes me happy.

Well, one thing I did notice is that the "warp" when the Pandora is closed that people have been talking about is still there, but just like everything else about the Pandora, it looked much larger in pictures than in real life. It doesn't bother me whatsoever. One nice thing is that my Pandora didn't have any problems with a low battery when I got it. I plugged it in to charge as soon as I got it, and the light came on immediately and it started charging.

MonkeyChops said:
just realized I was kinda hijacking God Ginrai's thread, sorry about that. I'm just super stoked and I didn't want to make a new thread till I had time to say more.

Congrats God Ginrai, what was your first downloaded and/or installed program?

Don't worry, I don't mind. ;)

My first apps were all dropped onto the SD at the same time. I populated my cards while my Pandora was charging. The first one I ran was planned to be Mupen with OoT, but when I put the SD card into my Pandora, I realized I had forgotten to copy mupen over to the SD, so instead, the first game I played was Sonic and Knuckles, followed by Super Mario RPG.

Just some things to note:

• I noticed some slight lag in the sound which would quickly recover that happened every once in a while in Picodrive and Snes9x4d4p. I believe this was caused by waiting for a read from the card.
  • The clock has to be set again any time you reset your Pandora
  • That WiFi problem is annoying. I was using the WiFi pretty successfully from the far side of my house, where all of my friends complain about the WiFi, but it seems that IM and IRC was too much of a strain for the connection I guess. Toggling WiFi fixes the problem until the next time you are dropped, but I am definitely looking forward to when this bug is hammered out.
  • Nubs as mouse will bother some people, because if you so much as tap the right nub, you might register a mouse click.
  • That firetruck minigame in Pandora Panic is impossible to win.

BTW, anyone know a good tutorial for setting up MAME? (I've never used MAME before in my life, and this stuff about romsets and all seems to be throwing me for a loop)

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
That firetruck minigame in Pandora Panic is impossible to win.
No it's not. :D I got it first time, hehehe.

Anyhow, congrats, God Ginrai. :)

BTW, anyone know a good tutorial for setting up MAME? (I've never used MAME before in my life, and this stuff about romsets and all seems to be throwing me for a loop)

-God Ginrai
It's fairly simple, really. :) ROM-sets in MAME often change when a new version is released - this is sometimes because sometimes games are re-dumped, or whatever, as far as I can gather. In this case, we've got a port of version 0.106, so you need your games to match this version of MAME. The Pandora port will ask you to choose a file when you load it, so it doesn't really matter where on your card you put stuff (it also asks you to choose a scaling method before the game is started).

Back