The I'm An Idiot And Broke My Pandora Thread

socket

Very Active Member
Yep, it happened. I guess I just can't have nice things....

I was attempting the glue the bezel around the screen and I pinched it to the screen and >CRACK<. My screen is cracked.

Once batch one ships hopefully I can buy a new upper case with the screen... I haven't heard back from Craig, but obviously understand that the remaining 1st batch units are the priority.

Oh well, it IS a really awesome device and I am considering buying a complete 2nd unit.

Awww man :-( sorry to hear that. I'm guessing the screen is totally fuzzed? Or is the crack just superficial?

That really stinks... :( Too bad nobody has their TV-out cables yet, otherwise you might be able to get at least SOME enjoyment out of it...

Why don't you take the upper section apart and see how easy it is to remove the screen. If it proves none too difficult why not see if OP will just sell you a replacement screen, which you could then fit yourself?

By the way, many thanks for posting about your misadventure, was thinking of trying a similar fix for my Pandora, will get it repaired under warranty by the assembly team if my unit ever has to go back to base. Not that I'd send it back just for this of course.

Gee. That sucks. I know how you feel though. I zapped my Atari Hades machine
and have sorry every since. Let's hope the TV out cables come and then you
could at least use it until the next batch comes out. Good luck guy...

Yeah, it was a rough week or so. I actually put it in a drawer and stopped coming to the forums. I was a little mad at myself but I'm over it now. :) I'm going to attempt to take it apart. I feel like I am going to break the case though... Not sure how to remove the top (lid) from the bottom. I'll work on it again. I don't want to push them to send sell me anything as I was lucky enough to be very early in the queue. I'll deal with my idiocy for now.

socket said:
I feel like I am going to break the case though...
The pieces are reportedly glued together, so a knife may be a useful wedge to pull it apart.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear of your unfortunate mis-adventure Socket.

I gather the lid is essentially a no-go area as far as an open or hackable device goes though, so the warnings are in place Fishbong. There is basically no room, or anything worth messing with, or adding to, in there.

That really sucks man.
And I was mad at myself for breaking an 8Gb SD card by pulling it out during startup ...
Now I consider myself lucky it was only that.
Hope it gets repaired soon.

Chero.

Fishbong said:
WizardStan said:
The pieces are reportedly glued together
Really? Seems like kind of a daft thing to do to a supposedly hackable device.
Why? The glue holds it together better than just clips, and it's not like it's a complete no-go because of it. You just have to break the glue in order to get into it. You may as well be complaining that there are clips holding it together.

Chero said:
That really sucks man.
And I was mad at myself for breaking an 8Gb SD card by pulling it out during startup ...
Now I consider myself lucky it was only that.
Hope it gets repaired soon.

Chero.

Bet the card is not broken, just reformat it and it will be fine.

Yeah but...everyone was hoping for a concealable, total device of awesomeness, that also did a Golden Gun trick and could be dismantled by thoughts alone, rebuilt by whim and painted as easily as a snap on fascia, emblazoned with 'original' because your mates had those.

As it stands, we've got the nipple tricks down, in that some nubs do, or don't work and some are on their RMA. No-one yet, has claimed a third faulty nippled one nubber. So the triple breasted whore of eroticon six is safely in business for now and PSP owners stay smugly sharing, just their own lowly one.

Schematics were imagined and mechano fantasies were entertained. As was transforming, or a portable nuclear stream crossing device and that chick but.........

GLUE?

GTFOOH!

Worst still..... CLIPS?

I thought this was held together by pure community negativity, counteracting the pure positivity she offers within!

Chaser said:
I gather the lid is essentially a no-go area as far as an open or hackable device goes though, so the warnings are in place Fishbong. There is basically no room, or anything worth messing with, or adding to, in there.
Well, maybe not modding, but someone could damage or brek the screen wile trying to do a modification and then have to open it. And sure, you can pry it open but then you have to reassemble it again using another layer of glue. Not really optimal.

^ As a German I see your problem ;) Glue in this case means "doppelseitiges Klebeband" so it's not that bad. It _is_ possible to disassemble the lid, but it's not easy. The clips break easily, so does the screen. For an experienced modder it should be a piece of cake, though.

mali said:
^ As a German I see your problem ;) Glue in this case means "doppelseitiges Klebeband" so it's not that bad. It _is_ possible to disassemble the lid, but it's not easy. The clips break easily, so does the screen. For an experienced modder it should be a piece of cake, though.
I thought that was why we weren't really supposed to hack that part of the Pandora. I do recall talk of a pad on the motherboard which one could use to add hardware, but that's on the other bit of the unit. Not under the portion that's basically just screen, speaker and case.

^ Well, the LCD ribbon connector in the lid also exposes unused GPIO pins, so it was intended to provide a certain degree of hackability at one point. Unfortunately the case presents itself as an obstacle once again.

I agree Fishbong and Mali, it isn't optimal but that's the situation.

People have to be careful in what they do and not expect their modifications to be honoured via the warranty if the screen should be knackered beyond the lcd cable (I am not saying the OP was btw and it is tragic whats occured).

Would be nice if the lcd cable issue could be end user sorted, or any hardware matter, for that matter (more so its hands on and saves the team time and proves that tech support ain't required) but the Pandora's what she is and we must all respect that.

For she is 'your' creation afterall (I wasn't around during her planning stages), within possible design limitations of any handheld. For those that were around, you had your chance to alter things and the team went with your ideas and what was feasible. Unlike the Coalition Government on suggested freedoms and repealments, wherein they want only the ideas they deem 'good' and not the popular ideas, like hanging them all!

She is the result and on the whole, is freakin awesome already, in what feels like days since she hit the real world.

When those waiting receive 'their' Pandora, they will see how the reversal of the waiting time, takes place like that.

By the time those out-there still waiting get one, she's gonna rock!!

Glue?

There shouldn't be any glue. Unless this was added in the future by Craig to the process there are only clips and screws holding it together (that was how it was designed anyway).

The only thing close to glue is the double sided adhesive tape on the LCD under the bezel. That is supplied on the LCD by the LCD mfg.

DaveC said:
There shouldn't be any glue. Unless this was added in the future by Craig to the process there are only clips and screws holding it together (that was how it was designed anyway).
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/53700-nub-issue/page__view__findpost__p__859851
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/53700-nub-issue/page__view__findpost__p__860046
Someone has some 'splaining to do.

Back