The I'm An Idiot And Broke My Pandora Thread

hobbyman II said:
don't you think people with eight thumbs and lobster claws on each hand and a tendency to violent epilepsy SHOULD NOT be dismantling electronic devices in the first place?

I'm looking at both of you..... Socket and Dgame .... why don't you just send it back to somewhere where the staff have things like....I dunno... just one thumb and five fingers per hand and a tendency to NOT convulse uncontrolably every ten seconds :rolleyes: (hand/eye co-ordination and technical know-how helps too :p )

:D I'll accept that. It's just that I have to open ALL of my electronics. I am a do-it-yourself type person.
It's like my dad says "Sometimes you have to pay to learn." This lesson was $8.34.
The worse part is being without my Precious for a few days. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
socket said:
mvickers03 said:
You can buy the LCD screens here http://www.gbax.com/spares.html
I'd probably rather just order an entire new Pandora at that price... Ah well.

Yeah I agree. I think Craig will help you when the rest of the cases come in stock (maybe before) He has stated before they will be doing repairs. They are very helpful, did you send the girls an E-mail yet? if they charge you for the parts they may be glad of the business.

I say that about the cases as you will probably have to replace some of the top plastics when replacing the screen due to how it's clipped together. You would at the very least scratch it up when opening

WizardStan said:
mali said:
^ That's what I don't understand as a non native English speaker either. (Glue)=(double sided adhesive tape) in this case, as it was explained later by MWeston, I think. I put the relevant quotes in the quotes thread back then. I only say "glue" when I mean that liquid stuff that hardens after a while.
As a native English speaker, I only say "glue" when I mean liquid adhesive as well. Double sided tape would be "taped" together. Sorry, I'd forgotten about the correction that came later.

As a non-native, somewhat naturalized English speaker, I think Mali speaks better English than most anglophones.
And I also refer to the magical liquid awesomeness that made high-school bearable (it's in the name!) as "glue".

Well the "tape" is that soft double sided seemingly gooey tape. So it kind of resembles a glue. I think all they mean by saying that parts of the case were "glued" together is that they were "stuck" together...

It's just stuck together with some kind of sticky something.

dgame said:
I broke the power button on my Pandora.
I found one on Digi-Key, the CSS 1310, that looks about the same but does not have the spring return like the CSS 1311.
The spring is still in my Pandora's switch and the sliders should be the same.

Sheeee´s Baaaaaack!

The CSS 1310 power switch slider fits with a little trimming.
I had to clip off the side of the slider that goes next to the spring to match the size of the broken one and it works like the original.
Thanks to ED´s recent assembly steps blog post I put it all back together without incident. Everything still works. :)

__
Posted from my Pandora

Congrats, dgame. :) I wonder if, at some point, it will be worth establishing a thread for the tinkering-inclined, listing compatible spare parts like that, where to get them, and what, if anything, needs to be done to use them?

Well I did find out some good news... My brother, who I convinced to order, is letting me take his late 1st batch order and I am ordering him one from the 2nd batch. Woohoo!

Socket, you should really try to contact Craig or someone from the assembly team. They could probably cut you a cheap deal on an LCD if you explained your situation.

Edit:

I see that you already have. Maybe they could still sell you an LCD for an acceptable price if you asked.

Also, doesn't the Pandora use the same screen as the N770? Are the ribbon lengths the same? Perhaps you could find a cheaper replacement by looking for N770 screens on ebay (if that's indeed what screen it uses).

It uses an Archos 605(?) screen but the ribbon is reversed, IIRC. You'd have to purchse from OPT or the LCD company.

Back