I Got My Pandora

To get your queue position you would email them and ask. Don't do this! Not only are they already extremely busy handling other requests and complaints that are a lot more important, but also the queue positions are only an estimate that has been proven to be slightly inaccurate at best and extremely misleading at worst.
Your best bet is to compare the timestamp (in UTC) of when you got your confirmation email to the most updated slot in the "Got your Pandora" thread.
With almost 1000 (probably more like 700-800) positions filled, we're not quite 2 hours into the initial pre-order back on the 30th. Holding an order from the 1st probably pushes you closer to 2000.
Don't be discouraged though; if all goes as hoped (knock on wood) OPT should be able to get the new nubs in a couple of weeks, completed boards a coupe weeks after that, and then pump out a few hundred (or more) per week, pushing the 2000th one around end of November.
But then again, I've done the "if all goes as planned" thing before, and we're still waiting.
Long story short: don't bother asking for your queue position; hope everything goes as planned; Mid to late November is entirely possible; don't necessarily count on it being before Christmas. I think this project could have used a little more pessimism from the start, but maybe it wouldn't even have taken off then.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fat Agnus said:
Onto why I like my gp2x and why I hope I'll like the Pandora... emulation. Is this the best consolidation of emulators: http://apps.open-pandora.org/cgi-bin/viewarea.pl?Emulators ? Or is there a better more up to date place to look? thanks!
No, quite a few things aren't uploaded there (or are outdated). The most comprehensive list is over here:
http://pandorawiki.org/Emulator_list

Yay! I can join the Pandora owners club!

Bloody awesome device!

A few minor annoyances, screen flips back pretty fast and some windows can't be resized, but that all can be fixed :D

Awesome job guys!

pandoras are currently shipping? or was yours stuck at customs for 2 months?

DaMummy said:
pandoras are currently shipping? or was yours stuck at customs for 2 months?
Mine shipped a month ago, and is apparently still stuck at customs, as I haven't gotten it yet. :angry:

It really is a thing of beauty.
Trust me, the long wait has only made actually holding it in your hands a truly wonderful experience.

Big thanks to the whole team.

Well it has arrived and definately worth the wait.

I must admit to having had some concerns around the case and some of the controls (including the sholder buttons) but these have proved to be unfounded. With the exception of the stylus which was a pig to get out (resorted to screwdriver and a fair amout of force) everything is really good. I don't even have a bezel gap.

The software initially looks good but you soon see this is not a plug and play experience. It takes quite a bit of fiddling around to get some of the emulators running. The power is obvious when they do get going and picodrive looks great on the screen. I had a GP2X from fairly early days and the greater scope of the Pandora makes setting up things initially appear more daunting.

The surprise for me was the web browsing experience which is far better than I expected. Its pretty quick and using the touch screen works well.

I can't believe anyone will be disappointed when they get theirs as long as they are prepared for fiddling around to get some of the software to run.

Got my Pandora! again :p

Seems about the same as my first, slightly less screen bezel (but still there), Serial number is about 900 larger (booo), but it overclocks stable till the stock max of 900 Mhz now (Yay!)

Generally: Love to have it back!!

Cheers!
MarkoeZ

Got mine today. Pretty happy with build quality, seems sturdy and have been able to be up and running with several games already. Still getting the hang of the OS though, not sure how to close and open programs easily with hotkeys like I can in Windows. For instance when I open a game, who knows what command in game is used to exit or go to a menu, I'd just like to ALT-F4 sometimes but no idea how to do that.

Got mine today. Couldn't resist and made a little photo-album here: http://imgur.com/a/B8lJq

The postman arrived at 4pm, and I knew it was the Pandora right away because of the strong cigarette smell (I could smell it before I opened the package). I aired out the box a little by opening the balcony (winter or no). Thankfully, it seemed that just the outside of the box and the packing materials had the smell, while the Pandora itself didn't.

Opening up the Pandora for the first time was wonderful. The keyboard especially looks amazing. The d-pad feels amazing, as do the nubs. And the screen is very impressive.

I have a major problem with the stylus - I can't get it out, and I've tried everything. Spoons, coins, tissues, cloth, knives, screwdrivers big and small, nails, pens, credit cards, thread, needles... all I've succeeded in doing is scratching off some of the paint around it, and maybe making its outside end a little more wobbly. I don't want to damage my Pandora. Does anyone know of a less violent way that might help ease it out? Maybe something to do with the plastic shrinking in certain temperatures?

Well, on the other hand the mouse is pretty comfortable to use even without the stylus, by using the nubs. So I managed to set up XFCE and connect to wifi.

I also realized that I was woefully unprepared in one major way: I bought a 32GB SD card, but forgot to buy an SD card reader. I want to use the Panasonic SDFormatter Utility to properly prepare my card, so I guess I'll be starting to properly use the Pandora tomorrow.

I tried to connect a 500GB WD harddrive (last photo in the gallery), and it started humming but I'm not sure the Pandora recognized it. I'm still rather new to this, so I'll figure out what's going on later.

EDIT: Also, my hinge seems to be stable in any position. Lucky me. :) When lying down, I actually keep it at more of a 45 degree angle, as I find the Pandora a bit too top-heavy to hold for a long time otherwise.

Esn said:
Got mine today. Couldn't resist and made a little photo-album here: http://imgur.com/a/B8lJq
Looks like someone's overtightened a screw in the top right of your pandora there!

chris_r said:
Esn said:
Looks like someone's overtightened a screw in the top right of your pandora there!
Hmm, you think that's from a screw? It looks perfectly round and bulbous, like it was meant to be there, not like something drilled through. In other words, it doesn't look out of place...

By the way, I did finally manage to get my stylus out - only by unscrewing my Pandora, though. I'll write up a little tutorial about that soon, with photos. ;)

Esn said:
By the way, I did finally manage to get my stylus out - only by unscrewing my Pandora, though. I'll write up a little tutorial about that soon, with photos. ;)

Quick fix for the stylus:
The reason it sits so tight in some units is the paint. Took me a while to figure out WHERE EXACTLY it hangs though, but now I know:
It's the small depression ring near the tip of the stylus.
Use some needle or sharp knife to remove the paint from that depression and it will work like a charm :)

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
Esn said:

The reason it sits so tight in some units is the paint. Took me a while to figure out WHERE EXACTLY it hangs though, but now I know:
Use some needle or sharp knife to remove the paint from that depression and it will work like a charm :)
Yup, +1 to that. I had to do that myself when I got my unit.
Just use a nailfile to get the paint off, its what I did.

Esn said:
chris_r said:
Esn said:
Hmm, you think that's from a screw? It looks perfectly round and bulbous, like it was meant to be there, not like something drilled through. In other words, it doesn't look out of place...
It looks like it may well be as that tends to be what happens if you continue tightening a screw past the end and it'll start pushing out through the plastic. I believe there's a couple of photos about of early units where Craig accidentally did that. Not that it makes any difference to how your system runs of course, I just couldn't help but notice it.

EvilDragon said:
Esn said:

Maybe you should do that during assembly before the stylus is put into each Pandora?

I got my Pandora!
First impressions: L button not working, thumb typing is a bit hard (I guess I'll get used to it), wifi works well although I haven't done any speed tests.
Oh, and it seems touchscreen is easier to use than nubs-as-mouse.
Nothing unexpected really, I'll post more later...I need to get a real SD card.
(posted from pandora!)

I like it.

While I do have a list of critiques, more than anything I'm just happy to have it as part of my growing collection (ack! old 2009 photos!). I'll probably write up something eventually.

And this morning, just for the heck of it, I ported my game. ;)

SmilesPanda.jpg

Back