I Got Gpsp (gba) Running With Sound!

They load the game where you saved them fine, but then like another minute or two of playing for me it will just freeze.

Moonchild posted on Dec 1 2006 at 12:00 PM said:
I tried out three games:

The Legend of Zelda Minish Cap: Works great.
Tales of Symphonia: Slow and choppy after opening.
Silent Hill: Play Novel: Doesn't get passed Namco logo.

Tales of Symphonia isn't on the GBA is it?

Last edited by a moderator:
zodttd posted on Dec 1 2006 at 10:09 PM said:
Heh yeah I should really get a background done. It won't be hard to do I suppose. I'll talk to Exophase about it, as it's a GP2X specific thing as of now. The reason I prefer not to have GP2X specific features if they're not required is the upkeep of things on Exophase's end of things. He'll have a GP2X soon though. ;P

I like the background hippo. Keep it saved if possible so I can come back to it.

About the background/border thing, I think it would be best if it just loaded a .png so that the user could change it to whatever they like. Some like bright and distracting, some like more muted, some none at all. So if possible please make skinnable.

Also I didn't hear your thoughts on if you could add a roms subdir to clean things up. Could that be done?

Thanks again, Dave

I would like a rom directory of sorts. Let me see what Exophase says on that, he probably would want something similar as well on the PSP.

zodttd posted on Dec 2 2006 at 03:23 AM said:
I would like a rom directory of sorts. Let me see what Exophase says on that, he probably would want something similar as well on the PSP.

Ok cool. It could be as simple as putting the rom dir in the same dir with the .gpe

Also I will knock up a border image soon, hope you can use it. It is always good to have a few options :)

PSyMastR posted on Dec 2 2006 at 03:57 AM said:
use the standard /roms/ folder so like /roms/gba ?
Agreed. I have all my roms sorted like that, however I suspect everyone has their preference, so maybe a user-defined directory would be best, even if it must be set in a configuration file manually.

Well Eragon is playable after loading another game. Its kinda slow and has chipy sound. I overclocked to 250 with a frameskip of 2 or 3. Also Zodttd, is there anyway to change the X and B buttons to the actual gba buttons like X being B and B being A.

So I did have the A/B buttons reversed! I figured since nobody said anything it was right. :p Will fix!

zodttd posted on Dec 1 2006 at 11:07 PM said:
So I did have the A/B buttons reversed! I figured since nobody said anything it was right. :p Will fix!
So what all do you plan on fixing in the fourth release? :huh: Not meaning to bug you of course, just excited. :D

Zip support. Save state support. Depending on how fast Exophase whips out his bug fixes he's been working on, some bug fixes that will make some pretty happy. Oh and getting buttons A/B placed correctly.

Zone of enders game works (in both versions of the emulator). You should play it on the highest clock your GP2X can take, though. But it white screens first, you need to do the load bios - then - load -game hack.
xXx - Works very well. Tested in the "faster" version, OCed at 266, with 1 frame skip. Even the sound is "mostly ok" !
Shame it's not a particularly great game..... Oh, and I did get a complete hard crash whilst playing it. :/

About the white screen thing... Maybe you could make it so if you press X it loads 'normally', whilst if you use another button it loads the bios file, then changes over to the selected rom after several seconds? This would be more like an authentic GBA boot, too.

Just an idea.

Some more testing:

Kirby & the Amazing Mirror works great.
Monster House has serious graphical bugs, including text being garbled.
Grand Theft Auto Advanced started to boot, but crashed (in v3-notfast).
Super Robot Taisen Original Generation works great.
Ultimate Card Games is very slow in menus, but works fine in-game.
Tetris Advanced (J) quite slow, but working fine.
F-Zero GP Legend works great (a little slow, but very impressive).
PD Nebulus remake works fine.

Here is another clean and simple background pic if you want to use it. It is not real bright so it isn't distracting.

gbabackground.png

I think i would prefer a plain black bg, a coloured boarder makes the game "appear" smaller, at least to me.
that's why i replaced the one in squidgesnes with black.

Vimacs posted on Dec 2 2006 at 10:07 AM said:
I think i would prefer a plain black bg, a coloured boarder makes the game "appear" smaller, at least to me.
that's why i replaced the one in squidgesnes with black.
I made that in SNES Too, and in all emus i prefer a black background.And of course 1:1 ratio screen.

Back