I am very interested in Pandora, but..

okpoj

Still Fresh
I know nothing about Linux, and nothing about programming. I'm very interested in the possibilities of Pandora, such as emulators, or the homebrew, ect. Will this be a problem, or will it be easy to figure out how to do things and learn ? Also, i use mac OSX, if there would be connectivity issues with that, I dunno..

I've no idea why people think they need prior knowledge of Linux to use their Pandora =S. I mean, you don't need to know how to use Windows to navigate through your Xbox or Xbox 360's interface. Anyway, as for OSX, there should not be any problems, there. Depends on what you mean by "connectivity", exactly"

okpoj said:
I know nothing about Linux, and nothing about programming. I'm very interested in the possibilities of Pandora, such as emulators, or the homebrew, ect. Will this be a problem, or will it be easy to figure out how to do things and learn ? Also, i use mac OSX, if there would be connectivity issues with that, I dunno..

It wasn't a problem with the GP2X, and it should be even less of a problem with the Pandora. As for connectivity with Mac OS X, the only reason you would need to connect is to drop files onto your SD card. And if it gives you problems doing that, then you can just buy a cheap SD reader that works with your mac and drop files onto your SD card using that.

EDIT: Not to mention, I believe that the Pandora at one point will have a repository so you don't even have to use your PC or Mac to get files on your SD card. (As long as you have a WiFi internet connection)

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
okpoj said:

It wasn't a problem with the GP2X, and it should be even less of a problem with the Pandora. As for connectivity with Mac OS X, the only reason you would need to connect is to drop files onto your SD card. And if it gives you problems doing that, then you can just buy a cheap SD reader that works with your mac and drop files onto your SD card using that.

EDIT: Not to mention, I believe that the Pandora at one point will have a repository so you don't even have to use your PC or Mac to get files on your SD card. (As long as you have a WiFi internet connection)

-God Ginrai

I'm confused as to why people believe it takes a full fledged PC to navigate to forum.openpandora.org and download files :lol: ...if you have WiFi connection (regardless of if a Pandora repository exists)
Seriously, is there something i'm missing? :)

You're missing the part where all other portable devices are stupid pieces of crap with no connectivity that need a full-fledged PC just to wipe themselves.

edit: I'm particularly thinking of my Palm Z22 and Creative Zen here. They're freaking impossible to get files onto, and while the Zen at least has an SD slot, it doesn't apparently have the ability to move files between that and the main memory.

Thank $deity_of_choice the Pandora is going to replace both of them.

okpoj said:

Hi Okpoj!

Maybe some videos will be better than words. Here you can chek out tons of videos of the Pandora in action:

http://openpandora.org/blog.php

Don't forget to click on the "Next" button on the bottom of the page, so you can navigate through previous entries. I'm a Windows XP user at home, and a Ubuntu Linux user at work. And don't worry, the Pandora Linux distribution (Ångström) will be really easy to use. Think of "plug-and-play", but in software (download a package - PND - then just run it).

As for communication with a Mac... that should be easy as well, though I'm not completely sure. Should be as easy as take your SD card, insert in a SD card reader on your Mac, transfer your files... and there you go.

Welcome and good luck :D.

P.S. 1: Though I miss the old forums... got to admit that is a real pleasure to have working links! ^_^
P.S. 2: Er... old thread... :oops: sorry, didn't notice...

as mentioned many times before, it should be as easy to use as windows or mac os. i don't understand why people think you must have a lot of technological knowledge in order to use linux.

Back