Linux Ignorant? Pandora Friendly?

kev187

I have been asking a lot of questions as of late. I appreciate all the good feedback!

Linux? I made an attempt with Linux About 5 years ago, installed it on defunct PC just to try it out. I think I used knopix or something like that???

The GUI was ok, installing programs was a chore with the command line ect... I gave up, stuck with my mac.

MY Question?

Do you have to know much about LInux to ultimately find your way around a Pandora? Or will the GUI & adding programs & such be click & install?

I am not looking forward to any command line work, just not fun at all!

Most distributions of Linux have an easy-to-use GUI installer these days, and installing things on the Pandora will be as easy as downloading the PND package to an SD card and running the program directly from there.

Hopefully you won't have to use the command line at all, no matter how much fun it is.

Linux has come a long way in friendliness in 5 years. With tools such as add/remove programs and Synaptics Package Manager (in Ubuntu) installing software is easier than in Windows.

I'm sure Angstrom Linux (what Pandora will be running) has an equivalent.

Edit: Lulzfish beat me to it :<

Here, watch this. :)

This shows an SD Card with Pandora applications (.PND files) being inserted into the machine, and then removed. You copy and paste the files you want onto the card, and they are found as if by "magic". I strongly suspect that the same will apply to simply using (for example) Firefox on the Pandora and downloading the programs directly to an SD Card that's already in the Pandora.

kevin J said:
I have been asking a lot of questions as of late. I appreciate all the good feedback!

Linux? I made an attempt with Linux About 5 years ago, installed it on defunct PC just to try it out. I think I used knopix or something like that???

The GUI was ok, installing programs was a chore with the command line ect... I gave up, stuck with my mac.

MY Question?

Do you have to know much about LInux to ultimately find your way around a Pandora? Or will the GUI & adding programs & such be click & install?

I am not looking forward to any command line work, just not fun at all!

sorry you got such a bad impression of linux. knopix is not really designed for hard drive install( not recomended) or to be user friendly ( or equipped to install packages in a reasonable manner) for that mater. If your interested Ubuntu is an excellent distro to try and you can get every thing done console free.

as for the pandora i don't know maybe a dev will drop by and enlighten us.
You would be suprise to know many gadgets run linux without ever a keyboard and no console in site. android phone, the kindle and the n800 come to mind.

:ph34r: : i really gotta put my posts on a diet if i want them to be timely!

Last edited by a moderator:
xweb said:
*snip*
You would be suprise to know many gadgets run linux without ever a keyboard and no console in site. android phone, the kindle and the n800 come to mind.
I'm glad Pandora has a keyboard (and console obviously). :)

Im scared that i wont be able to sort everything on pandora. I dont want all files and folders to appear on the desktop. I want to navigate to a file or folder myself.

And i also have a noobish linux question and i hope you guys can answer:
angstrom is the default os? I also heard other guis and os's, including ubuntu.
Ubuntu got some support for nice apps and games....or will those apps also work on angstrom?

borgqueenx said:
Im scared that i wont be able to sort everything on pandora. I dont want all files and folders to appear on the desktop. I want to navigate to a file or folder myself.

Ubuntu got some support for nice apps and games....or will those apps also work on angstrom?
Well, the desktop is just for the PND automatic system. You can still put files and folders that aren't PNDs on the SD card and navigate it yourself with the file manager. (I think xfce uses Thunar? It'll be easy to figure out, whatever they use)

Yes, Angstrom is the default, it's an ARM-specialized distro carried over from the BeagleBoard project IIRC.
The GUI on top of Angstrom will be xfce.

Linux applications are pretty much all the same, as long as you have the right libraries installed, and everything is compiled for the right architecture, it should run. There's only a few things in Ubuntu that won't work because of x86 dependency, like WINE, or because of closed-source, like Skype. (We might have an ARM version of Skype, it's kind of undecided at the moment, and I'm not paying much attention)

As I've said many times before, Skype is quite useless when you use any SIP client with Gizmo. I can't find the article mentioning how to do it atm, but Google Voice + Gizmo + SIP client beats *anything* out there atm, including Skype (free nationwide calling vs $5/month or whatever Skype charges, *without* getting a phone number).

You tried Linux 5 years ago? That was a long time ago, you should this with your bit torrent client and give it another try. A lot has changed.

borgqueenx said:

Borgqueenx . . . you must have ulcers, you're always worried about something.

second exodous said:
http://torrent.ubuntu.com:6969/file?info_hash=%98%C5%C3a%D0%BE_%2A%07%EA%8F%A5%05.Z%A4%80%97%E7%F6

What the HELL is Ubuntu doing. Too good to use SHA1 data (which already exists in all the torrents) on their tracker, instead resulting in such... 'lovely'... links?

Ubuntu annoys me more and more lately. Ugh.

Gary13579 said:
second exodous said:
http://torrent.ubuntu.com:6969/file?info_hash=%98%C5%C3a%D0%BE_%2A%07%EA%8F%A5%05.Z%A4%80%97%E7%F6

What the HELL is Ubuntu doing. Too good to use SHA1 data (which already exists in all the torrents) on their tracker, instead resulting in such... 'lovely'... links?

+1

-God Ginrai

Gary13579 said:
second exodous said:

I tested the link before I posted it, my torrent client started to download it so I assume it works. If it works then whats wrong?

second exodous said:
Gary13579 said:
second exodous said:

I tested the link before I posted it, my torrent client started to download it so I assume it works. If it works then whats wrong?
There's a hash in the URL itself for some odd reason.

second exodous said:
Gary13579 said:
second exodous said:

Something about the fact that there appears to be binary data in 'info_hash'.

If you don't understand whats wrong with that, well, I don't know what to say. My OCD design policy side is having conniption fits.

lulzfish said:
second exodous said:
Gary13579 said:
second exodous said:

And that's bad because . . ? I just use torrents when I need them, if they work they work.

lulzfish said:
second exodous said:
Gary13579 said:
second exodous said:

It's not just a hash. If it was a simple SHA1 hash, like all torrents contain, I'd understand. It appears to be raw fucking binary data though. (mouse over it to see what I mean).

Gary13579 said:
lulzfish said:
second exodous said:
Gary13579 said:
second exodous said:

It's not just a hash. If it was a simple SHA1 hash, like all torrents contain, I'd understand. It appears to be raw fucking binary data though. (mouse over it to see what I mean).
You know, this is not helping anyone, do you want me to edit my post and take the link out so no one is harmed or anything?

Edit: Here is the site I got it from, all the torrents have a info hash column, isn't that like a md5 sum or something. I'm lost, but since you're making a big deal of it it must be a big deal.

Back