Im Very Interested In The Pandora But Have A Few Questions!

obiwan22

Hello everyone,

I still don't know if the Pandora is good enough for me.

Let me tell you about my background a bit before I say more.

For the past 4 years I have been very good in hacking stuff.
3 years ago I hacked Sony psp's and had everything what I ever needed
I had emulators, games, music etc etc

After about 2 years of having a Sony Psp I sold IT and bought an ipod touch.
The ipod touch served me a bit more style, web browsing, youtube etc
I also hacked/jail broke it and installed free games, emulators, programs etc etc

But now, my ipod Touch is starting to fail on me:
its running out of memory
its starting to break down
the OS system is starting to get too SLOW

So now, Im planning on selling the ipod touch!

So, a week ago I heard about this great pandora project.
It seemed like everything I ever wanted was in the Pandora!

But I still dont know if I should order one.
The wait is still tooooo long.
The price is outrageous!
There doesnt seem to be enough tutorials etc

Now, some of you guys may jump to these conclusions:
the wait is long because the pandora is very good and just started releasing itself
the price is only big because its a small company and mass producing is difficult
there arent tutorials because the pandora just started coming out and the tutorials will come

I understand these things but I want an device that can
play music
play videos
surf the web very good with flash
watch youtube videos
play games on emulators
have vnc servers for my pc
etc etc etc

But now I have questions:

1. How exactly long do I have to wait for batch 2 to come out?
2. Is shipping to the USA included in the Pandora price?
3. How much is a tv out cable/case cost extra?
4. If I order the Pandora at the end of August, how will that affect my placement of order.
5. How can someone pay for the pandora? Credit card? Paypal?
6. When will it be available to buy in online stores? 2011??

Thank you for your understanding, I must get these questions answered and then I will decide

Thank you :lol:

Weird! You write in the structure of a poem. Kind of cool actually.

Um, I think you would probably prefer to wait and come back later. The Pandora lacks a lot of software at the moment.

but if I preorder then I would have to wait till DECEMBER anyways! right?

obiwan22 said:

That's true... but I would not describe the Pandora development as healthy or vibrant (not right now anyway). Will it be by December? Who knows. I guess you have to take that gamble right?

Well I took that gamble. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
obiwan22 said:
I understand these things but I want an device that can
play music
play videos
play games on emulators
have vnc servers for my pc
etc etc etc
Those are all pretty good right now

obiwan22 said:
surf the web very good with flash
watch youtube videos
Working on Flash. Going to take a few more months before these work seamlessly, but it should get there eventually.

obiwan22 said:
1. How exactly long do I have to wait for batch 2 to come out?
2. Is shipping to the USA included in the Pandora price?
3. How much is a tv out cable/case cost extra?
4. If I order the Pandora at the end of August, how will that affect my placement of order.
5. How can someone pay for the pandora? Credit card? Paypal?
6. When will it be available to buy in online stores? 2011??
1. Current estimate was October, I think Craig said. Special note: Craig has made reasonable estimates in the past and they've fallen through. This is a reasonable estimate, but something might still happen.
2. No, shipping is extra, as with anything that ships internationally
3. I think it was $20
4. You'll be closer to the end of batch 2, which means you'll get it later than October. Depending on how quickly they produce them, it could be a few months, or just a few weeks.
5. No Paypal. Money order, bank transfer, or Google Checkout are the ways. Money order and bank transfer are preferred because they don't have to pay a fee for those, but Google Checkout is available if you must use a credit card
6. It already is technically: http://www.gbax.com/ is Craigix's online store from where you would buy the Pandora. :p But I think you mean "when can I buy without having to preorder?" to which I think their plan is batch 3, sometime in the first half of 2011.

Hi I just had to open up a new thread for this topic.

I want to know how the Pandora compares to psp go.

Let me tell you mine observations:

Psp Go:
1. Plays music and can transfer music very easy through provided software.
Pandora:
1. Plays music but no way to transfer itunes music on it.

Psp Go:
2.can run n64 emulator at 70% speeds but is still getting better
Pandora:
2. Can run n64 at 80% speeds and is still getting better

Psp Go:
3. Can run PSX games at 100% speeds because of built in
Pandora:
3. Can run PSX games at 90%

Psp Go:
4. Can surf the web but no flash
Pandora:
4. Can surf the web with flash?

Psp Go:
5. Can not play youtube
Pandora:
5. Can play youtube?

NOW THE BIG ONES!!!!!!!!!!
PSP GO Pandora
only $200 at major retail stores $400 dollars with shipping to USA and have to wait till DECEMBER

Tv out cable on $15 at retail stores TV out cable isnt even out yet but will be $20-30

Psp cases are $5 at walmart (no joke) Pandora cases are $20-30

Built in 16 gb memory hardrive No hardrive but 2 sd card slots

Also they both have bluetooth.
The pandora can connect USB hardrive and mouse/keyboard but I dont need that.
The pandora folds down like a nintendo DS and the PSP slides up and down like phone

I really need to know how they compare because I need a new system very very soon because my ipod touch is dying

Now lets let people decide how it compares

Thank you ;)

obiwan22 said:
Now the biggest one of them all is:
The psp can run PSP games and the best part I can get them for free (dont ask me how)
I was interested to think about a proper reply at first, but when I stumbled upon this part I decided against it.
Go with the PSP, it's the best way to enjoy your piracy.

Sigh, just buy a PSP already. I don't think you're the target audience of the Pandora.

Both your PSP and Pandora estimates of N64 support are optimistic. Pandora doesn't do flash.

PSPGo is worst than psp IMHO.
so you would be 2 step backward.

If you plan on emulators mostly, pandora is the best handheld out there.
It's also the only device you wont need any long tutorial to crack/root/jail break to get homebrew :)

About the vibrant community, 1 release a day at least for the past month out of 700 owner is not bad IMHO

BTW: 3 posts, 2 topics. this could have been part of your previous topic...

obiwan22 said:
The psp can run PSP games and the best part I can get them for free (dont ask me how)
well if you want to play pirated games using psp custom firmware then go get a Psp go. I'm happy with my Pandora as it can do and will be able to do many more things that the psp go cannot. i.e. touch screen, higher resolution screen, dual analog nubs expandable memory that doesn't use Sony's own brand of memory stick, full qwerty keyboard, much better web browsers, longer battery life, USB host meaning I can plug any usb device into my Pandora (as long as required drivers exist for the usb device) and obviously as time goes on there will be newer software which the psp would never be able to accomplish (other than commercial games of course).

obiwan22 said:
There doesnt seem to be enough tutorials etc
What kind of tutorials do you have in mind? There are lots around, some on the wiki: http://pandorawiki.org/Tutorials_and_documentation

...and some in here: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/forum/85-software-hacking-pandora/

mali said:
obiwan22 said:
I was interested to think about a proper reply at first, but when I stumbled upon this part I decided against it.
Go with the PSP, it's the best way to enjoy your piracy.
sorry I should have taken that part out.

There is no piracy on the psp. Its impossible to download free psp games.

However there is a glitch in the psp store where you can TRADE GAMES with other people on forums for free.
It works by swapping accounts around and everyone can download purchased games.
It works really well so I heard because you buy a game and you can trade it for another

obiwan22 said:
I want to know how the Pandora compares to psp go.
The fact that you are even trying to do this suggests that you are missing a lot of the features that makes the Pandora more expensive. If you are looking for a PSP like device, get the PSP. The Pandora costs more because it isn't just a PSP device: most notably it has a keyboard and is designed to run a full desktop operating system. If neither of these points are important enough for you to mention at all, instead focusing on software alone, then the Pandora is not the device for you. Either get a PSP or one of the cheaper open source offerings like the Wiz or Dingoo.

Caine said:
obiwan22 said:
like I said there is no piracy
Just give it up. You're only making a fool of yourself.

do you want me to prove to you or something that psp piracy is almost impossible?

I mean, like I said earlier

there is a glitch in the psp store where you can trade games with other people

when I said

"you can download free psp games"

I didnt want anyone to jump to conclusions that its piracy

obiwan22 said:
like I said there is no piracy
Ok, I'm not going to argue if it is allowed to change accounts with others. I just merged for readibility, so no harm intended :)

obiwan22 said:
If you can do Linux-Kernel-hacks and eliminate serious software bugs, you will have the Device faster, than you can spell "Pandora" ;) Coders and devs that improve the Software are always wanted. ;)
There are also some "one nub units" out there, often 1 Analog nub is broken and Craigix sells these Units directly afaik. Contact him if you don't mind one (or two) broken A-Nubs.

Caine said:
Just give it up. You're only making a fool of yourself.
Let me explain this one.
This community is full of nice people. There is many homebrewer around here. Some of them are planning to release non-free games.
None of us want them to be stealed. I for one, will fight piratcy damn hard in this community. Oh and the forum rules explicitly forbid talk about piratcy (mali was nice to not close your topic right away).

So even if you're not realy talking about piratcy, it sounded too much like it. Most of us wont trust you anymore. So you wont get any realy helpfull reply (at least for today, we are forgetfull)

try reading these board you'll find your infos.

Back