I Always Laugh When I Think About How You Guys Got Scammed

I was around when the whole Pandora thing was being discussed and one thing that always bothered me about it was the customer financing. In many cases, people put up the money for their Pandora YEARS before they got it. During that time, inflation was high and the Pandora could be made without the creators risking their own money, but could reap the profits (assuming there are any). I complained about it at the time and I still feel the same way. You don't put your money at risk so you can buy something, you put it at risk for the potential rewards. Now with this idea of 'crowd sourcing', the idea is even worse. You don't put up your money to build a new starbucks so you can one day drink some coffee, you put up the money so you can reap the profits if the new starbucks is profitable.

BTW.. (And I've been asking this for years), is there any way of downloading a DVD image of all of the software available for the gp2x and gp32? If this site goes down.... It would take days to do it manually.

Chris

Still waiting for a pandora, case and tv cable here.. How many years was it? 2 months?

While i'm at it, i'm also waiting for a genMDM, and littlescale apparently fell off the face of the earth.

Shoud've just spent that money on something more tangible, like a calander, which I could send to craig so that he knows how long 2 months is.

(not trying to be a jerk, but one can only wait for so many years before it was pointless to wait in the first place. After 400+ dollars, and years of bogus excuses, I think I deserve at least the right to vent just once.. )

Venting is good and healthy, just make sure it's in the right direction. Craig really gave the shaft on this. EvilDragon has been trying to clean up the mess but can only do so much.
Are you aware he's working on a sequel? If you don't get a Pandora he's promised a discount of some kind for that. About the best he can do, sadly.

I got flamed pretty bad for making this post.

The funny thing is I had no intentions of trolling. I really do just check in here like once or twice a year to see the update on the Pandora. I do not stay so well updated so would not even know that other people trolled this.

However, I do find the whole thing hilarious as I could not believe how years passed and hardly anybody got their Pandora. I hear people are still waiting, is that even possible or are we talking about a new version?

I still have my Email from Jacquelyn from 2009 for a Pandora purchase that I never bought. I was almost in the same boat as everyone else.

What surprises me is that I just read Craig scammed everyone again. I realized back in 2009 it didn't make sense to purchase a Pandora with all the delays and how stupid can people be to entrust money to him again.

Unfortunately, yes, there are still people waiting for their Pandoras. ED has done a terrific job in sorting out the whole mess, but has relied on the goodwill of forum members' financial contributions too.

By all accounts, the light at the end of the tunnel is shining brightly, but damage has been done to the Pandora, the community and potential other small hardware developers including the Pandora's follow up, despite Craig's non-involvement.

ED has promised not to do the whole pre-order thing for the Pyra, but those bitten by the Pandora may well be wary.

DRED said:
hardly anybody got their Pandora.
I wouldn't call 94% of the people who ordered "hardly anybody". Over 4000 people have had Pandoras for years, with an additional 2000 getting theirs in the last couple years. There's just about 400 which Craig has effectively dumped out on.

I was hooked to pandora years ago, But I have enough GP2X, Wiz and then Caanoo, so I can't afford for Pandora that time,
I only can watch, watch and drolls. :)

Yes, nowadays android is powerfull and can take all emulators in my pocket, I use it too, extensively as my daily smartphone, but android was still green back then, I mean GREEN! so I suspect you're also drolls like a sicko when Pandora project was announced.

All I wanna says that Pandora was a piece of art on those years, even PSP and DS can't do what Pandora can.

There's still no single handheld device like Pandora or that can do what it does. The only thing remotely similar is the Shield, and well... that hardly fits in your pocket.

Android emulators don't get the same love as Pandora emus and there's not one that performs better without a separate controller - and let's face it an emulator without a controller (on a non-touchscreen game) is going to be crap.

Well..... You know..... A few few few years ago there was a nice opensource handhelds site named gp32x..... :)  i was loving the gp32 and the gp2x scene, i followed it All Day and All Night . ow yes just every day there was some nice news about new emus and games..... I loved ZodTTD and his psx releases (seems he's gone all wrong :(  ) , and after a few Happy and Emotional years  there was some banging news all over the place ......... Pandora should be the Next best opensource emu/desktop thing....... Man ow Man i was super exited.
after a few weeks when preorders where taking in.. I decided to do the gamble and pre-order myself... my order was a Pandora some extra accu's and extra funds for the developers. Sadly i did the order on Craig's shop :( ... So after 2 years of waithing and reading both forums old and new... it seems i made a good order but at the wrong shop.
Graig was alway so nice and full of dreams.... and wodka ..... almost like me... but after all that long waiting I lost interest in Pandora.. and when the crisis was shooting hard on Me and my own build up drawing compagnie i lost interest at all, I still feel a big empty hole inside me ............................. I'm not angry....njust a bitt let down... but still im happy that i invest money in the Pandora and happy to see its still alive :) :0 :) and hope that the new Pyra will be in my hands within a few years :) :) :), Greets from a Gp2X Lover and Pre Pandora lover :)...
I wish you all a great hollyday... and lets make the Pyra a succes......

Greetzzz from Jaylink (sorry for the so so english.. im a bitt emotional and drunk :) )

That really is the MASSIVE problem with the whole Pandora thing - people invested a lot of time, energy and money into it and never received it. That really is a shame and something that is unlikely to happen with the Pyra.

The other negative about the Pandora, as touched on in your post, is that it was the death knell for the GP32, Gp2X, Wiz and Caanoo as interest and coding moved to the new machine, years before it ever arrived. Android would have finishedd them off anyway eventually, but not for a couple more years.

Those classic machines are still very capable and fun to use, shame that they are now pretty much abandoned.

iprice said:
Those classic machines are still very capable and fun to use, shame that they are now pretty much abandoned.

You are a developer. Make new games for them, port your finished games. The main difference to the Pandora is the resolution imho. So make a 320x240 fork and release it for Caanoo, Dingoo, Wiz, GP2X and even the new GCW Zer0. :)

(If you already do so: Forget me post and keep on!)

Ziz said:

You are a developer. Make new games for them, port your finished games. The main difference to the Pandora is the resolution imho. So make a 320x240 fork and release it for Caanoo, Dingoo, Wiz, GP2X and even the new GCW Zer0. :)

Obviously you've not been paying attention to my output. Last year I ported 9 or 10 of my games to the Cannoo. Since then I haven't had time to work on anything for any machines due to changes in real-life working conditions (8 day weeks aren't much fun). I continue to develop for most of those machines (except the Dingoo and Zero), where practicable (ie my curret Pandora game won't run on a non-touchscreen or smaller resolution without issues).

iprice said:

Obviously you've not been paying attention to my output. Last year I ported 9 or 10 of my games to the Cannoo. Since then I haven't had time to work on anything for any machines due to changes in real-life working conditions (8 day weeks aren't much fun). I continue to develop for most of those machines (except the Dingoo and Zero), where practicable (ie my curret Pandora game won't run on a non-touchscreen or smaller resolution without issues).

Obviously you are right. Lucky me I made a note for that case in brackets. :)

Back