How to promote the Pandora?

quartercast

As the title says, lets think of ways to promote our favourite little gadget.

ED is reaching out to us here:

http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php?/topic/10774-A-further-update-on-preorders-(18th-of-November-2012)/page__view__findpost__p__204794

IMO the official website could do with a lot of love, but that is OPs business. Maybe we could form an online club with blog, videos, gaming competitions etc to do some promotion. Like a fanclub. Pandora Fanclub. Pandorafan.org, with software, latest developments and artwork etc. Have a gaming league with competitions etc. It could even have an online store.

It will need to be well designed of course and appealing to "outsiders". And it would be independent of OP Ltd that's for sure.

Anyways that all I can think of at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ask for the OTG adapter in every phone shop, and innocently show the device.

Usually, the guys are interested.

Maybe ED should start a commission based sales program, community can be the resellers.

We could buy the remaining non-moving shop items like http://www.dragonbox...e-spiele-1.html I already did so with the Wind & Water for the Dreamcast, looks like it's sold out now.

I'd like to give 1on1 Pandora promotion and short introductions on my location. But nobody goes to someone because there is a small box on the table. Some kind of official poster would be great, i can't design that in professional look. But i could print it big enough to attract people.

* Make a cap or hat with an "openpandora.org" logo and a silkscreened picture of the device on it, then wear it while you are using the Pandora out in public.

* Make a youtube video of a game running onthe pandora. Be sure to include the relevant tags.

* Inform game Authors of the existence of an openpandora port.

* Learn how to compile linux games and programs and make PNDs. I managed to do itp so it isnt that hard.

* Design an advertisement or flyer or poster and upload somewhere (maybe as an attachment to a new thread here).

* Crowdsource an advertisement for a Linux magazine. http://www.linux-magazin.de/

I like your last idea klapse. Maybe we can do a guerilla ad campaign and insert flyers into linux magazines at bookshop/newsagents

Now that I've got my Pandora on the way I'm toying with the idea of setting up a blog. I'd post general news about the Pandora, review games / apps and put together some guides for questions that are frequently asked on the forums such as flashing the unit and setting up emulators etc.

I know it's not much, but it would be a little bit more exposure for the Pandora. Thoughts?

I'm doing one of my websites up at the moment. .. though a but slowly... and it will pretty much be an unofficial promo site for openpandora.

plan to link to all the vids ed and others have made, link to reviews and such.

will have other general tech news but mostly stuff about Pandora.

doubt will reach masses of eyes but some will see and [hopefully] tell a friend who might be interested and unaware.

have also considered a sticker campaign, if OPT wouldn't see it as bad representation... Pandora logo with just a QR code to the site, people like those, around east London stickers are rife, always room for a few more though I say :)

1) Fix the sales web site

2) A listing on ebay available worldwide would be my first step. And the easiest.

3) I think Craig mentioned a deal with Geekbuying or something like that - He needs to get onto it and the other sites like it.

4) It needs to be promoted via the major retro/linux players in the community, ie those guys with the podcasts and youtube channels with huge retro gaming and linux followings. Craig and Ed need to contact them and get on there shows , or at least get them to do a review.

5) More tech site media coverage should be sought after. There are so many of these.

6) Provide commisions to other shops - sites around the world to sell it . ie 10% commision for each sale they make . They can link back to the Pandora shop. As a lot of potential customers live in non english speaking countries, its a major benefit to allow other sites (especially OS) to add the Pandora to there site for commissions. example japanese sites in japanese etc - you get the gist. A lot of sales can be generated from this

7) More presence in the major live gaming(and linux?) shows around the world. This can be done by engaging the community to help out with OS shows (Instead of traveling everywhere which would be expensive)

8) Push as much cheap marketing as you can. Radio and print can be expensive, however, there are retro gaming magazines(print and online) that articles could be written in for free if approached.

9) Lets especially try emailing out to target lists that Craig should have.

10) Competitions of course also have there place.

11) Engage someone else from the community to help with executing the above points. Why?, because ED is flat out with Pandora production and Craig is flat out with ICP2.

Here are my ideas:

Make a christmas special.

A site where you can sign up, that you will order 1 ghz pandora. There are 100 slots. If you get a slot and at least 95 slots are full, you will get your ghz pandora for only 499€ (plus shipping). If there are not at least 95 slots filled, just nothing happens. Final Date is the 23 December 2012 at 23:59 gmt.

To avoid fakes let it cost 1$ to sign up for a slot. The money will be returned if there are not 95 people who sign up. Maybe you are nice ED and pay for the paypal fees (1$ return) yourself to attract more customers, since there is no risk at losing the money.

This will cost you maybe 5 or 10$ for paypal fees. But it will create a LOT of attention. And its christmas. I say a lot of people will order from you.

I hate myself for saying this: If you need help with the coding of the Xmas event I will help for free. I have several years experience in web development and security.

And other idea:

If you exclude vat (for companies), you make big order offers. Let's say 200 pandoras for production costs + 120€ (100€ profit, 20€ for RMAs). You would get from one deal 20.000€. This would be enough for more then 50 new pandoras. Maybe Craig can help you to get such customers.

God!! please no more pre-orders that is the whole problem. an xmas sale at 499 per pandora. good idea. Do it now guys. It makes sense.

No not preorders. The pandoras are in stock. It is a bet.

Get 100 people to buy in the christmas week and they will get a pandora for 499€ instead of 666€. It is a huge discount. A christmas bet. And since it's limited at 100 pieces it wont' hurt the sales to bad.

Or to make it easy, sell limited 100 (or 50 or how many you like) christmas pandoras at 499€. But this could lead to mass refund request (not sure why, they won't be fulfilled until the drop shipping works, and this will be after christmas).

EDIT: If you do this, please write a mass email at everyone who ever registred at one of the sites (dragonbox, gp2x.de (forum and shop), openpandora, openhandhelds, links customers, the repos, but at the gp2x.com forum too).

I have an RPG Board on ProBoards. I'm not sure if I can place a banner or how I could, but I'd be more than willing to if it can be done. I have tried to talk up the Pandy.

Drop the price and it will sell itself. I know so many interested people and as soon as they hear or read the price the lose all interest.

Drop the price to what?

And there goes the entire profit margin. Profit is not a dirty word...so long as someone is not making OBSCENE profits.

How about if someone suggested YOU take a pay cut...how would you feel about that?

Back